HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:35 AM
Go Preds!

Pretty surprised we actually hit 22C under full sunshine this afternoon. The low this morning was only 4C.

The warmspot was Ashcroft, BC at 31.3C.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:52 AM

Another beautiful spring day here again! Sunny and 24C for the high, low tonight of 12C.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

petrichor= that smell of the air after a rain. usually after a long period of dry.
Woke up to it this morning. Temps are only 16 at most today but back up to mid 20s for the weekend.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 8:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Everything green is sprouting in Churchill Park, the city's third-oldest major suburb (early 1940s; behind Rabbittown in the inter-war period and Georgestown in the late 1800s). Must look nice from its omnipresent corner windows.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:19 AM
Go Preds!

18C and sunny! Low of 12C this morning. Pleasant day although it is slightly below normal.

The warmspot was Lillooet, BC at 30.1C.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:29 PM
613er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Everything green is sprouting in Churchill Park, the city's third-oldest major suburb (early 1940s; behind Rabbittown in the inter-war period and Georgestown in the late 1800s). Must look nice from its omnipresent corner windows.

I remember last year you posted a picture in early June and most trees were still in the process of leafing out, it boggled my mind especially when Yellowknife and Whitehorse had full foliage.

Most trees have full foliage here now with the exception of some species, we ended up being just a few days behind despite the awful Spring (we usually have full foliage by mid May). Based on your picture St.John’s had green grass and blooming flowers before us so I think the lack of heat (over 20C) in the Spring there is to blame.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I remember last year you posted a picture in early June and most trees were still in the process of leafing out, it boggled my mind especially when Yellowknife and Whitehorse had full foliage.

Most trees have full foliage here now with the exception of some species, we ended up being just a few days behind despite the awful Spring (we usually have full foliage by mid May). Based on your picture St.John’s had green grass and blooming flowers before us so I think the lack of heat (over 20C) in the Spring there is to blame.
I recently found out that tree foliage, and when trees leaf out in the spring, is not only dependent on the spring weather, but the weather from the previous fall. Since a lot of tree species need a number of "cold days" in the fall or winter before they can leaf out in the spring, a colder than normal fall can help the trees begin to lose their leaves earlier, and hence begin the "cold day" count earlier than usual. The quicker those cold days are accumulated, the quicker the tree will likely be to leaf out quickly once the warm weather starts.

St. John's has pretty warm fall weather, and pretty garbage spring weather. I think those combine to skew the leafing schedule. Trees have leaves well into November, and don't leaf back out again until mid May to often early June. Plus, over 50% of the trees in the city are Norway Maples, which are notorious for being some of the last to lose their leaves in the fall anyway.

The Chestnut and trembling Aspen trees leafed in my neighbourhood about 2-3 weeks ago, but it was barely noticeable in what was a forest of bare maples.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The leaves do feel earlier this year, le calmar.

But yeah, we have a good fall. I don't have any pictures from late November/early December, but here's one from November 2 last year - you can see the fall colours are just starting to add up.

Sunset, November 2, 2017 by R C, on Flickr

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I recently found out that tree foliage, and when trees leaf out in the spring, is not only dependent on the spring weather, but the weather from the previous fall. Since a lot of tree species need a number of "cold days" in the fall or winter before they can leaf out in the spring, a colder than normal fall can help the trees begin to lose their leaves earlier, and hence begin the "cold day" count earlier than usual. The quicker those cold days are accumulated, the quicker the tree will likely be to leaf out quickly once the warm weather starts.

St. John's has pretty warm fall weather, and pretty garbage spring weather. I think those combine to skew the leafing schedule. Trees have leaves well into November, and don't leaf back out again until mid May to often early June. Plus, over 50% of the trees in the city are Norway Maples, which are notorious for being some of the last to lose their leaves in the fall anyway.

The Chestnut and trembling Aspen trees leafed in my neighbourhood about 2-3 weeks ago, but it was barely noticeable in what was a forest of bare maples.
Nfld. is behind the rest of the country in spring, many trees aren't out fully until late June. Vancouver seems ahead of most of the country, with many trees' leaves coming out in early to mid April, and the fall is similar to Nfld., with leaves until early December. We only have about four winter months without leaves here, but the greater variety of trees means they don't all leaf at the same time. I've never noticed it being dependent on the year before, but are affected by the severity of the winter.

Today in Vancouver it was about 19°C, seasonal, wind 3 km/h, mostly sunny, and nice.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:59 AM
Go Preds!

16C and sunny! Low of 5C this morning. Seems like we are back to our usual below normal pattern.

The warmspot was Yohin Lake, NT at 28.3C.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sunny and freezing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Beautiful sunny day in Moncton, currently 16C, going up to 22C.

The only bad thing is that I can't put off the yard work any longer.......

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:19 PM

We would do well with a little rain. The forest fire risk in the St. John's area is either high or extreme, depending on location.

It's also insanely windy. I really wish the wind would just go away.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
We would do well with a little rain. The forest fire risk in the St. John's area is either high or extreme, depending on location.

It's also insanely windy. I really wish the wind would just go away.
It's a little bit unnerving how quickly the moisture in our environment is lost when there's no fog or rain for a stretch. All the barrens and bogs... just bone dry after even a few weeks of drying sun. We think of ourselves as such a wet place but it really doesn't accumulate, it just used to be constant. Even hiking the trails this spring, I'm used to it being quite wet at this time of year - puddles, mud, little streams roaring. There's none of that lately. You could hike from Cape Spear to Maddox Cove, across peat bog, in flip flops and not get wet.

I'm curious what it'll look like. There are so many places here with just a couple of inches of soil above bedrock, and most of that soil is just the rot of leaves and sand that can only sustain plant life because it's so wet. Once it dries out, and blows away, we could end up looking like Antarctica's dry valleys.

The wind, unfortunately, is our new norm. That's supposed to be one of the effects of climate change here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:40 PM

Quote:
It's a little bit unnerving how quickly the moisture in our environment is lost when there's no fog or rain for a stretch. All the barrens and bogs... just bone dry after even a few weeks of drying sun. We think of ourselves as such a wet place but it really doesn't accumulate, it just used to be constant. Even hiking the trails this spring, I'm used to it being quite wet at this time of year - puddles, mud, little streams roaring. There's none of that lately. You could hike from Cape Spear to Maddox Cove, across peat bog, in flip flops and not get wet.

I'm curious what it'll look like. There are so many places here with just a couple of inches of soil above bedrock, and most of that soil is just the rot of leaves and sand that can only sustain plant life because it's so wet. Once it dries out, and blows away, we could end up looking like Antarctica's dry valleys.

The wind, unfortunately, is our new norm. That's supposed to be one of the effects of climate change here.
Yeah, when it usually rains once or twice a week things just always seem to be wet. Having warm weather and sun helps dry a lot of stuff out, and the wind helps even more so. Between April and mid June is supposed to be our "wet" season, so if it doesn't happen now it may never happen (These are all famous last words and exactly how we get another foggy and cold July/August)

Increased wind will be the norm, but we're talking about probably an increase in average wind speed of 5 km/hr or so. Right now we've had about a week where out winds are gusting around 60, which is well outside the normal range for both now and what we would expect with climate change.

I just want to be able to go outside and not be annoyed.

Old Posted Today, 3:45 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
The leaves do feel earlier this year, le calmar.

But yeah, we have a good fall. I don't have any pictures from late November/early December, but here's one from November 2 last year - you can see the fall colours are just starting to add up.

Sunset, November 2, 2017 by R C, on Flickr
Damn, that's an attractive town you have up there.

Old Posted Today, 5:11 AM
Go Preds!

20C and cloudy today! However, we had rain this afternoon (starting at about 3) which dropped the temperature to 10C by 5PM. So in fact, today was much crappier than what the stats will show.

The low was also on the cool side at 6C.

The warmspot was Clearwater, AB at 28.4C.

Old Posted Today, 1:33 PM

Cloudy and 13. Looks like we're going to get a little (much-needed) rain this afternoon. Only 2-4 mm, but anything helps.

Meanwhile on the Northern Peninsula, those suckers woke up to some freshly fallen snow this morning. Suckers.

Old Posted Today, 1:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
Damn, that's an attractive town you have up there.
Thanks!

The chill is out of the air today, finally.

Old Posted Today, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Heavy rain in Moncton last night. Currently cloudy and 15C. It'll become sunny later this afternoon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada