HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 3:52 PM

"The Independent is officially topped out", according to the sales office.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 4:59 PM

It seems like construction has gotten super slow on this last part. I guess because the top is more complicated.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
It seems like construction has gotten super slow on this last part. I guess because the top is more complicated.
I'm not sure this is true, they poured five slabs in less than a month. It was hard to follow via the construction cam due to the view angle - the lower mechanical floors are completely obscured.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:45 PM

Austin by Zachary Pierce, on Flickr

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:15 AM
Joenaustex

Went to the Urban Space office today was told that it may be a year (May 2019) before tier 3 moves in. They said they would start at the lower tier 1 and move in 3 floors at a time. This Sunday hard hat tours of the building floors 9, 10, 35 and tier 3 floor 47 if you live on tier 3 and floor 57 if you live on the tier 4.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:10 AM

Crazy that I can see this baby all the way from like Wells Branch on Mopac. Can't wait until it's all finished and lit up.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:15 AM

From today's hard hat tour:

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:44 AM
I'm here for no one.

You went on the tour? The pool looks inviting:

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Yes. It was really cool to check out. We were supposed to go to the top tier, but the weather didn't allow for it.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:00 AM
more brains

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:02 PM

Judging by the webcam today, it looks like The Independent has reached its final height.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:18 AM
more brains

Yep. It was reported recently by their marketing that it had topped out. Traditionally, that means that all of the structural construction has been completed, either frame concrete pouring or steel framing. Still, I would expect that the mechanical screen will overrun a bit over the top of the concrete core that's poking above the main roof since it's meant to conceal the mechanical spaces up there. Also, once that screenwall goes up it'll be visible from the street up past the main roof height, which is 643 feet. The mechanical screen will actually rise 47 feet above the main roof, and closer to the edge than the elevator core is.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:29 PM
more brains

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:11 PM

I'm very happy to have this building. But those interior pics are UNDERWHELMING.

We have a long way to go till we get an amazing building so long as all we get are these builder grade finish outs. This is the 2018 version of the 360 finish outs (which were poopoo kaakaa on a stick). It is disrespectful to the buyer.

The 4 Seasons and the Austonian finish outs were the quality I expected with this building.

I think 70 Rainey and 5th & West are MILES above this in terms of design/quality.

Very disappointed. I suspect the buyers will be too when they have their initial walk-through. The Independent buyers I know are very knowledgeable and I can't imagine they will be ok with this, considering the way they live now. They bought site unseen, on just renderings.....oh well.

and those balcony railings! holy shit! those are bad.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I'm very happy to have this building. But those interior pics are UNDERWHELMING.

We have a long way to go till we get an amazing building so long as all we get are these builder grade finish outs. This is the 2018 version of the 360 finish outs (which were poopoo kaakaa on a stick). It is disrespectful to the buyer.

The 4 Seasons and the Austonian finish outs were the quality I expected with this building.

I think 70 Rainey and 5th & West are MILES above this in terms of design/quality.

Very disappointed. I suspect the buyers will be too when they have their initial walk-through. The Independent buyers I know are very knowledgeable and I can't imagine they will be ok with this, considering the way they live now. They bought site unseen, on just renderings.....oh well.

and those balcony railings! holy shit! those are bad.
As a current 360 owner I definitely agree that the build there was about as low-end "IKEA modern" as it gets.

However it still looks like the Independent seems to be a grade above with built-ins, finished ceilings, soffits for shades, more tiling in the bathrooms. At its price range I wasn't expecting it to compete with the high end buildings in terms of finish, Seaholm is probably the closest comparable.

But yea not a fan of those balconies... looks like the exact same stuff they use to cover the garage for the Wyndham time-share (used to be Rise on 8th+Nueces)

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

I hate hate hate that they didn't use the huge garage rooftop area on the east side for the pool. They could have had it go to the south edge just like this one, but it would have been so much bigger and the deck around it would have been so inviting. Instead, the people who pay gobs of money to live there will get this jagged little pool. Isn't it ironic? Don'tcha think?

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 1:41 AM

In its current state, it would make an excellent Koi pond, or a St. Patrick's Day swim party. Clever Alanis Morissette mention.
Since I will never live downtown, I only care about the exteriors. But if you guys say the interior is less than the highest quality, and I'm not qualified to judge, then that is sad, but at least its not noticable from the outside. Let's hope the parking pedistal doesn't end up looking cheap either.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:30 PM
I'm here for no one.

The mechanical screen is going up:

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
In its current state, it would make an excellent Koi pond, or a St. Patrick's Day swim party. Clever Alanis Morissette mention.
Since I will never live downtown, I only care about the exteriors. But if you guys say the interior is less than the highest quality, and I'm not qualified to judge, then that is sad, but at least its not noticable from the outside. Let's hope the parking pedistal doesn't end up looking cheap either.
From what I've seen r/e the interior finish, they're kind of a middle ground between places like the 360/the shore/the spring, and places like the Austonian. Which fits, considering the price is about at the middle point as well.

Though, I think some of the price of these units can be attributed only to the fact that the new tallest building is inherently a bit "cooler" than other smaller buildings...

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:45 PM
more brains

Drone video of the topping out ceremony.

https://www.facebook.com/Multivista/...5360111071231/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin