HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I actually typed up a post about how we should suggest that they start their own thread where they could gleefully communicate in their almost incoherent code to one another and just have the time of their lives. It would also be entertaining for us and perhaps a case study on internet gibberish for future anthropologists and current psychiatrists. But reconsidered thinking that that would be too mean - but, hey, since you started it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 2:50 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 2:19 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I actually typed up a post about how we should suggest that they start their own thread where they could gleefully communicate in their almost incoherent code to one another and just have the time of their lives. It would also be entertaining for us and perhaps a case study on internet gibberish for future anthropologists and current psychiatrists. But reconsidered thinking that that would be too mean - but, hey, since you started it....

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 2:35 PM

Anyone got an update on this $1.5 billion dollar project? I think it was announced a while back and then crickets.

https://www.bartonpartners.com/proje...-on-the-river/

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Anyone got an update on this $1.5 billion dollar project? I think it was announced a while back and then crickets.

Because you can just look at it and know it's not going to happen.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:

I drew this on the back of a napkin drunk at a bar and "lost" it. So that's what happened to it. Am going to sue the developer!

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=iheartphilly;8193426]Anyone got an update on this $1.5 billion dollar project? I think it was announced a while back and then crickets.

[/QUOTE

That area on the Delaware river is like the train tracks north of 30th At. Station, they breed ideas that never happen. Barton & Partners looks like its a design firm, not a developer. Who were they working for?

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:35 AM

^^
Ha Ha funny guys! I found it on IBEW Local Union 98 social medial webpage. But, yeah I think Amazon HQ2 has a better chance than this project...LOL.

Last edited by iheartphilly; May 20, 2018 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:35 AM

[QUOTE=City Wide;8193779]
Quote:

[/QUOTE

That area on the Delaware river is like the train tracks north of 30th At. Station, they breed ideas that never happen. Barton & Partners looks like its a design firm, not a developer. Who were they working for?
This bears little resemblance to 30th Street, which is realistic and a matter of timeframe. Nothing resembling this is likely to happen here.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:53 PM

[QUOTE=jsbrook;8193952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

This bears little resemblance to 30th Street, which is realistic and a matter of timeframe. Nothing resembling this is likely to happen here.
The two areas physically have nothing in common. My point is that both areas have had many proposals presented for them. And unfortunately I'm sure that will continue to be the case for the near future. Personally I'd prefer the 30th St. Station plans to move forward, but the construction costs could be huge and all proposals call for a very large investment of public money, which is doubtful in the near future. But anything that happens on the Delaware river will be private monies, except maybe a walk way right at the rivers edge. I've got no idea when that area will see construction. Is Bratstein doing anything next door? Certainly a big Wawa is not a great sign of what might be happening.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:57 PM

This can't be good for Amazon HQ2:

Amtrak resumes search for 30th St. development overseer with focus on shops, restaurants at station

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180521.html

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:

Amtrak resumes search for 30th St. development overseer with focus on shops, restaurants at station

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I see them opening up 100k square feet of office in the station and the intensification of retail as a good sign. For all we know, Amazon said “yes this looks good please get started ASAP.” I see this as neutral news, though perhaps a sign that Amazon is nearing a decision, whether it be us or not.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:

Did you read the article? According to the article, this renewed effort is aimed just at revamping the station itself, and is distinct from any HQ2 development:

Quote:
The request does not entail any work on new development sites surrounding the station, partly to leave Amtrak’s options open in case Amazon selects sites in University City for its HQ2 project, Toll said.

In its pitch to Amazon last year, Philadelphia officials highlighted the availability of Amtrak’s property as a supplement to the area’s other development sites.

“Should Amazon select University City as the location of its second corporate headquarters, there is an additional 58 acres of adjacent Amtrak property north of the station for potential air rights development,” Toll said.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Did you read the article? According to the article, this renewed effort is aimed just at revamping the station itself, and is distinct from any HQ2 development:
Basically trying to replicate the success they've had with modernizing and retailing Union Station in D.C.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:36 PM

That will not have any affect other than positive on HQ2

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I see them opening up 100k square feet of office in the station and the intensification of retail as a good sign. For all we know, Amazon said “yes this looks good please get started ASAP.” I see this as neutral news, though perhaps a sign that Amazon is nearing a decision, whether it be us or not.
If this was an announcement that work on improving the Station proper and renovating the office space was soon to start, I would be excited. But this is just another possible step in the direction of maybe doing something at some point in the future. I don't sense any urgency in Amtrak.

I wish that Amtrak looked after their passengers as their basic function, and stopped looking at them as cows to be milked at every possible turn. IMO getting better and faster and underground connections to SEPTA should be at the top of the list, and not pushed off to a unknown future.

Also the idea of the Station as a destination in and of itself seems misdirected to me. What are they going to do, bring back the north end bowling alley, turn the central atrium into a movie theater? Until there are more passengers or people working in or very close by, how many more sandwich shops can the station support?

Last edited by City Wide; May 21, 2018 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 9:42 PM
Mr. Technology

I feel that Amtrak is doing the right thing.
Begin development of the core station, realign the retail & dining options, provide direct subway access and not worry about Amazon.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Didn't have to. Knew previously Amtrak stopped looking for a master developer for 30th when Amazon was in the search. Amtrak wanted to give Amazon first dibs on what they wanted in the plan. So, when I saw the title of the article, I knew/postulated that either (1) Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station and Amtrak was left to move forward on their search again, or (2) Amtrak has inside info that Amazon HQ2 was going to a different site.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean Philly is out of the running. We have SY or Navy Yard as the other possible sites.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:40 PM
Mr. Technology

I’m not holding my breath.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Didn't have to. Knew previously Amtrak stopped looking for a master developer for 30th when Amazon was in the search. Amtrak wanted to give Amazon first dibs on what they wanted in the plan. So, when I saw the title of the article, I knew/postulated that either (1) Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station and Amtrak was left to move forward on their search again, or (2) Amtrak has inside info that Amazon HQ2 was going to a different site.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean Philly is out of the running. We have SY or Navy Yard as the other possible sites.
The Amtrak property was never pitched by the city to Amazon as a primary site for HQ2. But it's been viewed as a plus for potential additional space or long-term growth. And as the article makes clear, that hasn't changed in anyone's mind, including Amtrak's, as indicated in the language I already quoted:

"The request does not entail any work on new development sites surrounding the station, partly to leave Amtrak’s options open in case Amazon selects sites in University City for its HQ2 project, Toll said.

"In its pitch to Amazon last year, Philadelphia officials highlighted the availability of Amtrak’s property as a supplement to the area’s other development sites.

“'Should Amazon select University City as the location of its second corporate headquarters, there is an additional 58 acres of adjacent Amtrak property north of the station for potential air rights development,' Toll said."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations