HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 1:08 AM
Midtowner since 2K

In terms of Toronto....I only really developed a true sense of where downtown ends a few years ago. As a kid I knew it made sense for Bloor to the northern part, because that's where a lot of the bigger buildings on Bloor are and they don't creep northward much at all....they generally extend southward. I never thought about the east or west boundaries so much, but knew that Bathurst and Dufferin were pretty busy north-south roads. I probably didn't know what was past the Distillery District as a kid or what was south of the Broadway and Danforth area.....I never really thought about it.

I see downtown in a very general way, of Bathurst to the Don, Bloor to the Lake. I can see why people find Bathurst to be a bit too west, but Bathurst is densifying....and it's been an important roadway for a while in the city.

I've been to Missingsausagemore than a few times now....and I could argue that that downtown is from Parkside Village Drive on the west side for the PSV complex, to.....Central parkway East. North from Rathburn road (which is a terrible place for a border but oh well....I guess it'll intensify someday) to Central parkway.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
In terms of Toronto....I only really developed a true sense of where downtown ends a few years ago. As a kid I knew it made sense for Bloor to the northern part, because that's where a lot of the bigger buildings on Bloor are and they don't creep northward much at all....they generally extend southward. I never thought about the east or west boundaries so much, but knew that Bathurst and Dufferin were pretty busy north-south roads. I probably didn't know what was past the Distillery District as a kid or what was south of the Broadway and Danforth area.....I never really thought about it.

I see downtown in a very general way, of Bathurst to the Don, Bloor to the Lake. I can see why people find Bathurst to be a bit too west, but Bathurst is densifying....and it's been an important roadway for a while in the city.

I've been to Missingsausagemore than a few times now....and I could argue that that downtown is from Parkside Village Drive on the west side for the PSV complex, to.....Central parkway East. North from Rathburn road (which is a terrible place for a border but oh well....I guess it'll intensify someday) to Central parkway.

I was like what the hell is Parkside Village Drive? Had to look it up. That area is still new to me. My cousin sold his condo on the road next to it a year ago. I agree that is the boundary now.

Brickstone Mews is a disastrous road. So many cars coming in and out of the condo garages on that narrow ass road. They better widen it before building up another condo on the other side. Cars are honking at each other all the time squabbling over the entrance and exit of the garages.

My cousin told me couple of years ago someone threw a safe out the window and it bounced off the sidewalk and smashed into the door of a BMW parked at the curb.

He sold his condo for $500k to a retired couple who cashed out on their detached for $1m+ during the crazy peak last year. Don't know these folks, but I'm not sure if they knew what they were getting themselves into. Lots of young people renting in those buildings thrown in with the odd sex worker and drug dealer like is so prevalent around SQ1.

Central Pkwy I agree with as well. Sounds like you're hesitant about Rathburn. I'll say 403 or Centre View Dr.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:23 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Rathburn is iffy because it's such a dumpy road. It looks like the suburbs of London on the north side for most of the "downtown" stretch, without looking much better on the south side. The 403 is too north I'd say......maybe if the city redeveloped those commercial lots next to the highway you could call that "downtown". I gotta wonder what Laval's downtown is like as a comparative model haha.

PSV is a fair project in its own right....I like the idea of narrow roads, even though those roads are still fairly well sized. The parking on the sides is what makes the road so bad IMO. WAY too much underground parking.....but Missingsausage has some high standards.

I'm unsure of what the boundaries of Hamilton would be.....it's a bit tough since the boundaries can be quite subjective depending on ones view.

I must wonder then what constitutes as Brampton's downtown......whatever that is.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Rathburn is iffy because it's such a dumpy road. It looks like the suburbs of London on the north side for most of the "downtown" stretch, without looking much better on the south side. The 403 is too north I'd say......maybe if the city redeveloped those commercial lots next to the highway you could call that "downtown". I gotta wonder what Laval's downtown is like as a comparative model haha.

PSV is a fair project in its own right....I like the idea of narrow roads, even though those roads are still fairly well sized. The parking on the sides is what makes the road so bad IMO. WAY too much underground parking.....but Missingsausage has some high standards.

I'm unsure of what the boundaries of Hamilton would be.....it's a bit tough since the boundaries can be quite subjective depending on ones view.

I must wonder then what constitutes as Brampton's downtown......whatever that is.
Ya I just mean widen the lanes but not add extra lanes.

Brampton I did earlier in the thread. Basing that mostly on housing stock.

Hamilton I'm not familiar with enough. But ya that could be quite comparable to TO in terms of what neighborhood is or isn't. As in a few of them to debate I'd imagine.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:04 PM

The definition of downtown Toronto today actually goes back to the "Central Area" defined in the 1970s. Downtown through the 1960s was College/Carlton to Front, University to Jarvis.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:08 PM

How about Vancouver?:

Stanley Park

Davie Village

Chinatown

Strathcona

Granville Island

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The definition of downtown Toronto today actually goes back to the "Central Area" defined in the 1970s. Downtown through the 1960s was College/Carlton to Front, University to Jarvis.
North of College to Bloor was known as "Uptown" back then, no?

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:36 PM
Suburbs Suck

[QUOTE=Docere;8183550]How about Vancouver?:

Stanley Park

Davie Village

Chinatown

Strathcona

Granville Island[/QUOTE

Downtown Vancouver is surrounded by water on three sides and Main Street to the east.
So the first three yes the other two no.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:44 AM

Downtown or Not Downtown?

Here is your answer....

See, I live in East York... the Archie Bunker side of East York (i.e. not Leaside section). A while back, a friend of ours from Markham was coming down to visit. She said that she hated having to come "downtown", but would make a special trip. I told her that East York was not exactly downtown, and subsequently asked her to clarify what she considered to be downtown....

She replied promptly without hesitation and quite unequivocally that downtown was anywhere that she was forced to parallel park.

And I've learnt never to question her (or anyone) on that definition ever since!

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:44 AM

A report on 16 downtown Toronto districts:

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/up...07-04-2016.pdf

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
Here is your answer....

See, I live in East York... the Archie Bunker side of East York (i.e. not Leaside section). A while back, a friend of ours from Markham was coming down to visit. She said that she hated having to come "downtown", but would make a special trip. I told her that East York was not exactly downtown, and subsequently asked her to clarify what she considered to be downtown....

She replied promptly without hesitation and quite unequivocally that downtown was anywhere that she was forced to parallel park.

And I've learnt never to question her (or anyone) on that definition ever since!
So true. That is the definition from many, many people.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:00 PM
The New Republic

The sales lady at Yorkdale Shopping Centre was nonplussed when I asked if they had a store in Toronto.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The sales lady at Yorkdale Shopping Centre was nonplussed when I asked if they had a store in Toronto.
I'll give you a pass.

Couple decades ago it wouldn't have been in Toronto. If someone in the GTA asked me now where Yorkdale is, I'd say it's in North York or 401 and Dufferin.

If they were not local I'd say north Toronto.

It's basically the same thing to me as Scarborough Town Centre or Woodbine Mall or Sherway Gardens.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
Here is your answer....

905er: King and Spadina, East York...it all seems THE SAME!!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:15 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

As anyone understandably would be if you asked them if they had a store in... the same city that you were already in at that moment.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 2:21 AM

Even before 1998, that question would have been bizarre. "Toronto identity" didn't begin in 1998.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Even before 1998, that question would have been bizarre. "Toronto identity" didn't begin in 1998.
Agreed. I was speaking technically.

I spent my first 8 years just south of Don Mills and Steeles and I always heard of us being in Toronto more than North York.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada