HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:10 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Yes, you are right about Richards Landing! It looks more like a town in Southern Ontario. So many Southern characteristics. Banners with maple leaves on them. Maple leaf flags on many businesses and houses. And lots of houses with flags and many with flag poles. Very anglophone (or should I say very British-Canadian) and protestant. Independent shops and grocery store. A lot of people there vote conservative.

And look what flag this house has flying below the maple leaf. It's also on St. Joseph Island but in Hilton Beach.
https://goo.gl/maps/VfGi8SRZfzS2
Well a large proportion of St Joe Island’s summer population is American and always has been. The permanent settlers of the area, such as my family, mainly came from loyalist eastern Ontario near Ottawa and Cornwall. It was virtually the last piece of prime agricultural land to be taken up in Ontario, I’d imagine. The flags are partly a response to all the Stars and Stripes flags that one sees across the channel. Often when you’re out in a boat, the flags are about the only way to be sure which country you’re looking at.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Mt Tremblant, St. Adele, St. Sauveur, Morin Heights, Lac Brome, Knowlton, Hudson, St. Lazare, Rigaud...

All in Quebec.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

In Nova Scotia, Kings and Lunenburg counties are like this, transitioning from a rural economy to one based on tourism and retirees. They each have a mini-agglomeration one particularly touristy town. Wolfville and Lunenburg are the nicer towns but Kentville and Bridgewater are the largest in their respective areas. Kings County is the more accessible end of the Annapolis Valley and is an agricultural area with lots of vineyards and orchards.

Lunenburg

Source

Kings County

Source

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:10 PM

The only broadly gentrified parts of rural Manitoba that I can think of are cottage country, mainly in the Whiteshell area where cottages are handed down generationally and a fair amount of money is required to buy in. But even then there is no real fancy-pants gentrified town there with swanky restaurants and upscale antique stores and art galleries. It's still pretty plain jane.

Churchill is probably the only somewhat gentrified town in that they receive a lot of moneyed visitors who show up and spend cash, but none of them actually stay and live there, and it's still a pretty humble town in that gritty northern way. Beyond that, the closest we get to gentrified towns are the summer resort destinations which are basically ordinary small towns that swell with summer residents such as Wasagaming and Gimli.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I would have said that Niagara-on-the-Lake gentrified decades ago.
True.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Mt Tremblant, St. Adele, St. Sauveur, Morin Heights, Lac Brome, Knowlton, Hudson, St. Lazare, Rigaud...

All in Quebec.
Nothing in nearby Northwestern Quebec that I can think of. Maybe Ville-Marie a bit being on Lake Temiskaming and that it's a place that attracts retirees, some artistic and entrepreneurial types.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:42 AM

Port Stanley, ON. I visited last fall for the first time in almost 20 years and it was very different from what I remember.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Port Stanley, ON. I visited last fall for the first time in almost 20 years and it was very different from what I remember.
I was there for the first time last summer and was surprised at how nice it was. Not sure I'd describe it as "gentrifying", but a really pleasant beach resort town.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:07 AM

Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I was there for the first time last summer and was surprised at how nice it was. Not sure I'd describe it as "gentrifying", but a really pleasant beach resort town.
Probably not enough upper middle class types in that area for true gentrification, but there is much more investment relative to the surrounding towns.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada