HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 21 5.74%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 27 7.38%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 14 3.83%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 256 69.95%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 38 10.38%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 10 2.73%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Cost-benefit ratio of adding a new WCE track currently doesn't seem to check out, unfortunately.

Even the BMG is having way more trouble than it should to get funding.
.... but, but, but... the environment....

The greens are the most hypocritical of the bunch.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
You mean like https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/loug...-bus-translink ?

Ok, except Mission.
Yeah, because Mission is outside of TransLink's jurisdiction.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Thanks for the link!

The review also considered a partially elevated line west of Blanca, which would reduce the cost of this segment by 36%. I have been of the opinion for years that this segment should not just be elevated, but significantly elevated to give passengers what would be one of the most incredible views from transit in the world.
The report also mentions a possible alignment on West 8th Ave. to serve the Jericho Lands (instead of West 10th Ave.).

It also has the portal just west of Blanca in the median of University Blvd., followed by an at-grade segment (odd to me, but maybe to preserve the aesthetics of the UBC entrance?) and elevated near the Golf Club driveway. I think that if it goes along West 8th Ave, it should go on the north side of the golf course, rather than in the median of University Blvd.

It also mentions the turn from University Blvd to East Mall over the site of the to-be-redeveloped Wesbrook Building, which we had heard of before.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The report also mentions a possible alignment on West 8th Ave. to serve the Jericho Lands (instead of West 10th Ave.).

It also has the portal just west of Blanca in the median of University Blvd., followed by an at-grade segment (odd to me, but maybe to preserve the aesthetics of the UBC entrance?) and elevated near the Golf Club driveway. I think that if it goes along West 8th Ave, it should go on the north side of the golf course, rather than in the median of University Blvd.

It also mentions the turn from University Blvd to East Mall over the site of the to-be-redeveloped Wesbrook Building, which we had heard of before.
Maybe they want to pick up Lelem and Uni Village along the way. As discussed previously, north of the golf course requires a lot of property acquisition to get back onto the Boulevard.

That said, why not use University's westbound lanes? Traffic's pretty scarce.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:12 PM

Yeah, that's true is elevated (wrt property acquisition - I wonder if it would be easier / cheaper if they are leasehold).
Or they could cut across the golf course (and Pacific Spirit Park?) elevated to return to University Boulevard - I recall a discussion about shielding an elevated line from golf balls.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/ub.../data=!3m1!1e3

Probably too close to the trees if elevated in westbound lanes (mind you are the trees still healthy?
It's been a while since I've been down that way.
Otherwise, using the traffic lane RoW would probably mean underground (more expensive).

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's true is elevated (wrt property acquisition - I wonder if it would be easier / cheaper if they are leasehold).
Or they could cut across the golf course (and Pacific Spirit Park?) elevated to return to University Boulevard - I recall a discussion about shielding an elevated line from golf balls.
Assuming the golfers and six homeowners don't riot, that could work pretty well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Assuming the golfers and six homeowners don't riot, that could work pretty well.
North of the golf course is technically outside of the City of Vancouver and part of the UBC feudal estate administered by the GVRD. Do they even have elected officials?

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:20 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
North of the golf course is technically outside of the City of Vancouver and part of the UBC feudal estate administered by the GVRD. Do they even have elected officials?
not "technically outside" it IS outside the CoV.

it isn't administered by GVRD. it is administered by the UEL and no, they do not have elected officials. but they can vote for School Trustees in the CoV.

it is all Crown Land owned by the Government of British Columbia.

i doubt they would want an elevated SkyTrain outside their front doors. i would hope they fight that, as i certainly would.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:35 AM

The University Golf Course lands are owned by the Musqueam. Pacific Spirit Park might be owned by Metro Vancouver (?).

Apparently, the University Golf Course will remain golf course until 2083.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article697227/

However, if the West 8th Ave route is intended to benefit the redevelopment of the Jericho Lands (of which the Musqueam are also a part owner), there would appear to be some incentive for the Musqueam to agree to negotiate a RoW across the edge of the golf course (maybe with provision for a future station for eventual redevelopment of the golf course lands).

Arguably, an elevated line on one edge of the golf course would have less impact on golfers than a line down the middle of University Boulevard, since the golf course straddles both sides of University Boulevard and an elevated line in the road median would impact more areas of the golf course (although University Boulevard already has mature trees screening).

Last edited by officedweller; Yesterday at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:23 AM

Might screw up holes 2 and 3. A SkyTrain every two minutes is distracting to some golfers.

Then again, breathing loudly is distracting to some golfers, so whatever.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:13 PM

Quote:

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/ub.../data=!3m1!1e3
Probably too close to the trees if elevated in westbound lanes (mind you are the trees still healthy?
It's been a while since I've been down that way.
Otherwise, using the traffic lane RoW would probably mean underground (more expensive).
I mean, any northern alignment would mean dealing with at least 9 blocks of angry Point Grey residents- compared to the relatively warm reception of Skytrain on Samasat Village (largely due to the hope that it would spur its revitalization). Not to mention 10th Ave West is already partially developed with towers, and only the eastern half of the Jericho lands (the section accessible by Alma St. Station) are really open for development- the western half is already occupied by a schools.

Also, it would divide and fragment Pacific Spirit Park even more than it already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
not "technically outside" it IS outside the CoV.

it isn't administered by GVRD. it is administered by the UEL and no, they do not have elected officials. but they can vote for School Trustees in the CoV.

it is all Crown Land owned by the Government of British Columbia.

i doubt they would want an elevated SkyTrain outside their front doors. i would hope they fight that, as i certainly would
Why?

Quote:
The University Golf Course lands are owned by the Musqueam. Pacific Spirit Park might be owned by Metro Vancouver (?).

Apparently, the University Golf Course will remain golf course until 2083.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article697227/

However, if the West 8th Ave route is intended to benefit the redevelopment of the Jericho Lands (of which the Musqueam are also a part owner), there would appear to be some incentive for the Musqueam to agree to negotiate a RoW across the edge of the golf course (maybe with provision for a future station for eventual redevelopment of the golf course lands).

Arguably, an elevated line on one edge of the golf course would have less impact on golfers than a line down the middle of University Boulevard, since the golf course straddles both sides of University Boulevard and an elevated line in the road median would impact more areas of the golf course (although University Boulevard already has mature trees screening).
But the uni Blvd is already a used alignment with a ROW, meaning they already have to deal with trying to avoid golf balls getting onto the road, and having to cross the road to get to the other lobe of the course.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-P...y-Project.aspx

I don't think the image showing the new trolley bus routes has been posted here yet, but forgive me if it has.

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-P...y-Project.aspx

I don't think the image showing the new trolley bus routes has been posted here yet, but forgive me if it has.
That's temporary for M-Line construction though right? What will #9 down Broadway do? Convert to hybrid or diesel?

I've seen evidence of new pole construction on 12th already.

Old Posted Today, 12:53 AM
Transit Geek

From what I remember, 9 will go on 12th Avenue. Also since 14's gonna duplicate so much with 4, Translink may as well suspend route 14 and make 4 come more frequently between U.B.C. and Downtown. Frequency between Downtown and the P.N.E. Coliseum (well, not exactly there) can stay as is.

Old Posted Today, 3:06 AM

With the 8th avenue alignment the tunnel portal could be near Highbury Street with an at grade, trench or elevated routing through the Jericho Lands to Trimble street then a couple blocks of cut and cover along 8th to Blanca. That would save a lot of money compared to pushing the bored tunnel all the way to Blanca up 10th avenue and it would also save the cost of an underground station.

Expo Line runs through single family residential neighbourhoods from Commercial Drive to about Joyce and also near 22nd street in New Westminster. The 3 blocks of 8th avenue are narrower, but there is certainly lots of precedent for "just across the street" skytrain in other single family neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM

Amen to that, scott!

Quote:
I mean, any northern alignment would mean dealing with at least 9 blocks of angry Point Grey residents- compared to the relatively warm reception of Skytrain on Samasat Village (largely due to the hope that it would spur its revitalization). Not to mention 10th Ave West is already partially developed with towers, and only the eastern half of the Jericho lands (the section accessible by Alma St. Station) are really open for development- the western half is already occupied by a schools.

Also, it would divide and fragment Pacific Spirit Park even more than it already is.

But the uni Blvd is already a used alignment with a ROW, meaning they already have to deal with trying to avoid golf balls getting onto the road, and having to cross the road to get to the other lobe of the course.
True, but it'd only be a couple minutes' walk to the village from, let's say, Tolmie Station. Expo's a lot farther from Kingsway, but one services the other nonetheless.

I'd argue that the walking trails are already fragmenting it. At least with an el-way, the forest can (kind of) grow underneath.

Old Posted Today, 7:29 AM

I've got two questions regarding Broadway city-hall

1) Will there be more than one entrance?
2) Will passengers be able to transfer between millennium and Canada underground, or will they have to come to street level to change routes?

Old Posted Today, 7:39 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

2) Will passengers be able to transfer between millennium and Canada underground, or will they have to come to street level to change routes?
from what i hear, only the Canada-Line entrance will exist. but that's just rumours i've heard so i could be wrong.

Old Posted Today, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
True, but it'd only be a couple minutes' walk to the village from, let's say, Tolmie Station. Expo's a lot farther from Kingsway, but one services the other nonetheless.
I'm wondering if there is an opportunity to "merge" or "link" the Jericho Lands with West 10th Ave's commercial area so even if the line is built under West 8th Ave., the West 10th Ave. area is still relevant..

If the Jericho Lands have commercial fronting West 8th Ave. (southwest corner of the site) that's only 2 blocks away from West 10th.

Old Posted Today, 9:20 AM

There's always the Safeway site. Running a couple of pedestrian streets through the redevelopment should anchor the station to the village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

1) Not sure yet - reps at the open house preferred to use just the one, though.

2) Most definitely no street crossing. They've learned.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure