HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Wab Kinew committed what is essentially a hate crime. What has she done that is remotely that bad?
Facts agreed by the Crown:

"The accused began to insult the [cab driver] with some racial comments which continued until the driver reached the intersection of Portage Avenue and Fort Street," the Crown attorney told court.

While stopped at a red light, Kinew exited the vehicle, approached the driver's-side door window — which was open — and punched the driver in the face.

A passerby yelled out and momentarily interrupted the assault. When the driver exited the cab, Kinew pushed him to the ground and kicked him, court heard.

Police came upon the scene and Kinew attempted to flee. After being taken into custody, he declined to discuss the incident.

The victim suffered a small laceration to his elbow and swelling to his face.

------

Kinew's version:

An accounting of the incident in The Reason You Walk includes no reference to "racial comments" and alleges the cab driver was the initial aggressor, after Kinew and some friends tried to jump out of the taxi without paying the fare.

The court record includes no reference to the presence of Kinew's friends.

In the book, he writes that "the driver caught up with us and pushed me. I turned around and shoved him back. A passing cabbie saw what was happening, stopped his taxi and jumped out to help his fellow driver. He swung and hit me in the face. I grabbed him and swung back.

"We stood in the middle of the street, arms flailing in full-on hockey fight mode. The police showed up and tackled me.
"

-----

I'm not trying to pile on Kinew for his past, but when someone goes out of their way to bring race into the equation, and claim that many people in Winnipeg are not going to vote for him, due to his ethnic background (the implication is that Kinew is the real victim) is somewhat tone deaf.

The irony is that Wab Kinew actually not only made racist comments against the South Asian Winnipegger, but assaulted him unprovoked, suggesting that Kinew hates South Asians. Has Kinew ever apologised to the South Asian community, or made amends to them for his actions, or does he get a free pass due to his Indigenous background.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 11, 2023 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The irony is that Wab Kinew actually not only made racist comments against the South Asian Winnipegger, but assaulted him unprovoked, suggesting that Kinew hates South Asians. Has Kinew ever apologised to the South Asian community, or made amends to them for his actions, or does he get a free pass due to his Indigenous background.
When has anybody ever apologized to the South Asian community for being racist?

The only reason this is never a topic brought up compared to Indigenous racial issues is because for better or worse we don’t call the shit out and just move on with our lives.

As an Indian myself I frankly couldn’t give a damn whether or not I agree with his past behaviours or not, I just want to live in a Manitoba that aligns with my self interests. Based on the previous election for the 2019 NDP platform a lot better because they focus more on Winnipeg, want to increase transit funding, housing first homeless model, and finally do something about the social issues rampant right now such as building a safe consumption site. These are all things I want from our provincial leader because they are the government who has the most direct impact on these measures. If Kinew is the leader of the party to bring these reforms then I will vote for him.

Not to you specifically but just in general can we please stop with the identity politics crap and focus on real policy in these discussions? I’ve heard enough of that nonsense on Reddit and I know the people here are much more intelligent then that.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
When has anybody ever apologized to the South Asian community for being racist?

The only reason this is never a topic brought up compared to Indigenous racial issues is because for better or worse we don’t call the shit out and just move on with our lives.

As an Indian myself I frankly couldn’t give a damn whether or not I agree with his past behaviours or not, I just want to live in a Manitoba that aligns with my self interests. Based on the previous election for the 2019 NDP platform a lot better because they focus more on Winnipeg, want to increase transit funding, housing first homeless model, and finally do something about the social issues rampant right now such as building a safe consumption site. These are all things I want from our provincial leader because they are the government who has the most direct impact on these measures. If Kinew is the leader of the party to bring these reforms then I will vote for him.

Not to you specifically but just in general can we please stop with the identity politics crap and focus on real policy in these discussions? I’ve heard enough of that nonsense on Reddit and I know the people here are much more intelligent then that.
My post was in response to another poster stating that people would not vote for Kinew due to his Indigenous background, when it's blatantly obvious that is not the case. I was pointing out the hypocrisy in that statement (especially when said poster is pointing out the PC leader committed a minor white collar crime, when the main issue with Kinew is his past serious criminal history) I personally don't care about identity politics either, hence my response.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 11, 2023 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:

Yep. If you like or don't like Kinew and the NDP, make it because of their policies. Same goes for Stephenson and the PC's, though they also have to speak to their recent record, being the party currently in power.

Quite frankly it's pretty immature to portray one's political preference as being morally pure as the new-fallen snow, while the "other guys" are combinations of Snidely Whiplash and Gargamel.

Man I watch too many old cartoons.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:36 PM

Ndp seems non existent on policies these days. Pcs seem to have no policies just throwing money at homeowners.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Yep. If you like or don't like Kinew and the NDP, make it because of their policies. Same goes for Stephenson and the PC's, though they also have to speak to their recent record, being the party currently in power.

Quite frankly it's pretty immature to portray one's political preference as being morally pure as the new-fallen snow, while the "other guys" are combinations of Snidely Whiplash and Gargamel.
lol...were you not the one who went off on a tangent about Wab Kinew's ethnic background, and how many people will not vote for him, due to said ethnic background?

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 12, 2023 at 10:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Man I watch too many old cartoons.
Took me a while to realize I referenced old cartoons while discouraging "immaturity". Funny.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:02 PM

Has Wab Kinew said anything about chaning the rules to allow Manitobans to grow their own cannabis at home? We are one of the few provinces where that is still not allowed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Has Wab Kinew said anything about chaning the rules to allow Manitobans to grow their own cannabis at home? We are one of the few provinces where that is still not allowed.
I haven't heard anything.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
yeah that's something to run your campaign on!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
yeah that's something to run your campaign on!
It was a question. No one said he was running his entire campaign on that. Alot of people were pissed Palister didn't allow it when cannabis was legalized. Most provinces do allow it. Quebec is the only other province that doesn't allow it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:53 PM

Can’t let Manitobans grow gotta make those tax dollars!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Thug Kinew up to his old behaviour, shoving and swearing at Oby Khan at the Leg. today, once a thug always a thug!

Doesn’t seem to get along with or respect other ethnicities either!

Last edited by rrskylar; Apr 14, 2023 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:00 AM

I can see Kinews temper costing him in an election.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I can see Kinews temper costing him in an election.
Not fit for office, guy obviously has issues and demons!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Not fit for office, guy obviously has issues and demons!
Getting Glen Murray fall 2022 vibes.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 2:26 AM

The story reeks of bullshit tbh. There was firstly no shoving that actually occurred. Secondly, I doubt a former football player would get shaken up by a few F-words or Kinew rightfully calling Khan out on trying to politicize the commemoration of turban day.

But what can I say the smear campaign begins. It’s going to be a long summer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Oh wow what a shock. The good wholesome party of faith resorting to lies and slander. How very Christian to try to take some ones troubled past as an excuse to condemn. Wab should be applauded and held up as an inspiration that folks can turn things around and become better.

Cons: no, thuggy Indian is a savage. Scary man is dangerous. Ignore how our province is ranked horribly in every measurable metric. Oh and that's cuz of Greg Selinger

PRE-DICK-TABLE. Cons are idiots.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The story reeks of bullshit tbh. There was firstly no shoving that actually occurred. Secondly, I doubt a former football player would get shaken up by a few F-words or Kinew rightfully calling Khan out on trying to politicize the commemoration of turban day.

But what can I say the smear campaign begins. It’s going to be a long summer.
So you were there and witnessed what transpired?

I’ll take Khans word over thug Kinews. Khan would clean Wabs clock but is a lot more intelligent and didn’t need to stoop to Wabs thug antics!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 4:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutherteller View Post
Oh wow what a shock. The good wholesome party of faith resorting to lies and slander. How very Christian to try to take some ones troubled past as an excuse to condemn. Wab should be applauded and held up as an inspiration that folks can turn things around and become better.

Cons: no, thuggy Indian is a savage. Scary man is dangerous. Ignore how our province is ranked horribly in every measurable metric. Oh and that's cuz of Greg Selinger

PRE-DICK-TABLE. Cons are idiots.
Why do you enter the fairy tale called religion into this, who cares what branch of fairy tale anyone follows, it’s actions that speak louder than words.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan