HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 5:27 PM
Craptographer

Dallas: All New Construction >50k sq ft must be LEED certified

....or an equivalent certification, starting in 2011.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....492ed1a0.html

Quote:
Dallas City Council approves 'green' building code

03:17 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 9, 2008

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News
dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

Environmentally sensitive construction practices are now Dallas law, as the City Council unanimously voted to implement numerous “green building” regulations Wednesday.

Archive: Editorial - Green building in Dallas

The policy fulfills campaign promises of several city leaders, particularly Mayor Tom Leppert, who’ve argued that an ever-expanding and chronically smog-choked Dallas must improve its environmental stewardship.

Among the first phase’s requirements, effective Oct. 1, 2009: Builders of projects less than 50,000 square feet must use 15 percent less energy and 20 percent less water than current Dallas energy conservation code standards mandate.

Under the new code, for example, builders must select conservation techniques among six options provided, such as installing faucets and shower heads with a two-gallon-per-minute-or-less water flow. The water regulations, in particular, are the product of a compromise among city leaders and builders, who expressed concern over an original green building proposal calling for stronger standards.

Under Dallas’ new code, roofs must also be more energy efficient on buildings smaller than 50,000 square feet. Projects larger than 50,000 square feet will face similar but less stringent requirements when compared with smaller buildings.

“We’re at the lead of the major cities in this country,” said Mr. Leppert, the former chairman and chief executive of construction firm Turner Corp. “We had industry come in and really embrace it. We crafted it to make sense for everybody.”

Said District 10 council member Jerry Allen: “Dallas is a leader and everyone else is looking at us.”

By October 1, 2011, the ordinance proposal states that all new Dallas construction must be certifiable under “leadership in energy and environmental design” standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council, or under similar standards, such as Green Built North Texas standards.

“The challenge is going to be to implement this – and education,” Mayor Pro Tem Elba Garcia said.

Green building, Mr. Leppert said, can and should be as cost effective as construction that doesn’t meet established green building standards. Some builders had expressed concerns that the new regulations will increase construction costs.

Dallas’ building inspectors will implement the green building program while the city’s office of environmental quality will oversee educational and public relations components, Assistant City Manager Jill Jordan said.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 2:40 AM

Great. It definitely seems like Austin is the clear leader in Texas when it comes to being progressive and environmentally aware, but every Texan city needs to embrace these ideals, especially considering the explosive population growth in Texas cities. It's good that Dallas is stepping up to the plate.

I could care less that cities like Phoenix, Dallas, or Atlanta have explosive population growth, if only their building codes would be super strict like having an LEED gold rating for alll new construction mandatory, along with other stringent policies governing water usage, and the types of lawns allowed. It's the sustainability issue of places like Phoenix that is a problem.

I also think it would be a great idea to madate that ALL new big box construction must be powered entirely from renewable resources, either purchased power, or on site generated. Even some provision for existing big box stores to gradually switch to green power, like mandating solar roof panels. I mean think of all the wasted energy falling on that 100,000+ square foot big box roof in the blazing hot texas sun.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 6:21 PM

Correction to thread title needed:
The new building code will require that projects be LEED-certifiable, not certified. In certain parts of the city, recently updated zoning will offer development bonuses for projects acheiving LEED-certification.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:09 PM
Craptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoto3 View Post
Correction to thread title needed:
The new building code will require that projects be LEED-certifiable, not certified. In certain parts of the city, recently updated zoning will offer development bonuses for projects acheiving LEED-certification.
Good point. My bad.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture