HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 9:31 PM

Yep, and if you have seen one mountain you have seen them all, if you have been to one museum you have seen them all, if you have been to one art gallery you have sen them all, if you have been to one hockey game you have seen them all, if you have been to one river you have seen them all, etc... I find that kind of thinking funny, like any entertainment/art form there is a huge variety in the style, timing and scale of firework displays from around the world. I love how every year the theme is different, last years Godzilla theme was great!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 9:50 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

even with that mentality, its still a free night out of the house.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 10:02 PM

Exactly, and for many downtown and in the surrounding area it is 4 free nights of entertainment from one's balcony! Creating the perfect situation for a summer get together with friends. This is how i wish people living downtown saw such events, instead of "It makes the streets so busy and its so bright and loud..."

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 11:05 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Exactly, and for many downtown and in the surrounding area it is 4 free nights of entertainment from one's balcony! Creating the perfect situation for a summer get together with friends. This is how i wish people living downtown saw such events, instead of "It makes the streets so busy and its so bright and loud..."
ugh. its like, okay, you live downtown, its supposed to be loud and busy! its downtown Vancouver, not downtown McGregor, Manitoba!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 11:15 PM

they should have em in coal harbour instead

more viewable and better transit connections

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 12:01 AM

Thats a good idea, but what Coal Harbour lacks is the beachfront to allow the hundreds of thousands of spectators to sit on.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
ugh. its like, okay, you live downtown, its supposed to be loud and busy! its downtown Vancouver, not downtown McGregor, Manitoba!
I live downtown and love the added activity the Fireworks brought. By the way I live in the West end in one of the streets that during the fireworks is frequented by urinaters. The majority of the people in my building love this event and are saddened that its been cancelled. The few that hated the event are the ones that cheer the loudest and get heard by the mainstream media.

Don't paint all of downtown Vancouver as one giant force of NIMBYism. It isn't. Do you guys even live downtown?

Remember you can't just read the paper and watch the news to get a sense of public opinion

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 1:22 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Thats a good idea, but what Coal Harbour lacks is the beachfront to allow the hundreds of thousands of spectators to sit on.
but Coal Harbour does have Stanley Park near by, and people would most certainly emerge on the cricket fields and the surrounding waterfront areas. as well, it would be viewed by North Shore residents from Waterfront Park and the area near the Auto Mall

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment