HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:40 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Polls this early in an election are never accurate.
Being that the election is less than a month away it's not that early.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Alberta is a pretty damned important province, and the outcome of the election is something that will impact people in other provinces. So it is fitting that the thread appears in the Canada forum.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:14 PM

PEI has also called an election. May 4th, I think.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:32 PM

I know election signs aren't necesarily an indicator, but the NDP has sure moved fast in my area. It's impressive how much orange is out there already. I'm not sure if this is typical, or if it is just because I live somewhere that the NDP came in not too far behind PC last election. Also worth noting, I live in a central Edmonton riding that still doesn't have a liberal candidate....

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:37 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
I know election signs aren't necesarily an indicator, but the NDP has sure moved fast in my area. It's impressive how much orange is out there already. I'm not sure if this is typical, or if it is just because I live somewhere that the NDP came in not too far behind PC last election. Also worth noting, I live in a central Edmonton riding that still doesn't have a liberal candidate....
because NDP supporters don't work long hours like the rest of us and it's easy to get out and toss up signs?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:12 PM

Am I missing something, or do the parties standing not have any policies? I can't find anything on their websites at all.

This will be the first election in Canada I will take part in, and I'd like to know what I'm voting for!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Am I missing something, or do the parties standing not have any policies? I can't find anything on their websites at all.

This will be the first election in Canada I will take part in, and I'd like to know what I'm voting for!
So demanding!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
WR had signs up the day after the writ was dropped in my territory.

Also saw the first Jim Prentice PC political ad on TV last night during the game.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Good point. Honestly though, vote anyone except PC. I have a tough choice to make in my riding as there is no way in hell it will elect anything left of centre. My only realistic option for opposition is WR. Fundamentally I disagree with basically everything they stand for, but realistically they're not going to form government. In the end at the very least they formed decent opposition to the PC's and held their feet to the fire in the past. At this point that 's about all we non-PC voters can hope for.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:29 PM

Quote:

Your comment got me curious, so I checked. The platforms of the Conservatives, Wildrose, and Alberta parties are all on their respective websites, but I could see nothing on the NDP site. I didn't check the Liberals.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

Also saw the first Jim Prentice PC political ad on TV last night during the game.
Interesting. No sign of WR effort anywhere up here that I've been.

Heard a PC add on the radio this morning.

The summary of the campaigns so far from what I've seen.

PC - It's good ol' us, but it's okay, we're kinda maybe dfifferent now.
Wildrose - NO MOAR FLOOR CROSSING
NDP - Have you met Rachel Notley!? Don't you just LOVE her?
Liberals - Oh, we're having an election?
Ab Party - We're here too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 3:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wild Rose is full of thorns. Hudakism strikes again:

Wildrose boss Brian Jean vows deep cuts to government, health management ranks

globalnews

The folks depicted on the bus look as though they are singing in church.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:01 PM
Majestic

I've seen WR, PC, and NDP signs so far in Calgary-Lougheed. Nothing for the Liberals, Alberta Party, or Greens.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:07 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Only seen signs for Rachel Notley in my riding. Yup.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:11 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Anyone else notice something familiar about Brian Jean?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

Days before the election was called, Wayne Anderson (WR-Highwood) had a large RV displaying his banner parked on the hill just before Seton.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
Anyone else notice something familiar about Brian Jean?

You're darn tootin'!

Exclusive: Brian Jean selling his campaign platform
Video Link
Video Link

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 10, 2015 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see something pretty similar to last time. Wildrose in the south. NDP and some liberal in Edmonton, PC for most of the rest, maybe a few exceptions in Lethbridge and Calgary.

What I am curious to see is how much of Edmonton's apparent NDP support pulls through. Edmonton was generally red until the liberal brand imploded in Alberta. There are quite few Edmonton ridings that are decided by liberals that cant find a home.
Dead on correct.

In my mind, the main question that determines this election will be where the centrist vote moves from that imploded Liberal brand (Swan and Blakeman aside). My gut says NDP in Edmonton/Lethbridge and PC in Calgary. However, a late Layton-esque surge from the Notley brand in Calgary wouldn't shock me in the least...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw219 View Post
Dead on correct.

In my mind, the main question that determines this election will be where the centrist vote moves from that imploded Liberal brand (Swan and Blakeman aside). My gut says NDP in Edmonton/Lethbridge and PC in Calgary. However, a late Layton-esque surge from the Notley brand in Calgary wouldn't shock me in the least...
Have the NDP ever won a federal or provincial seat in Calgary?

That is where I think it will be won or lost. Assuming most rural seats go Wildrose (with a few maybe PC) and the NDP does really well in Edmonton (federal coattail potential? take note Mulcair!), then Calgary is a huge question mark.

* If the PC's collapse completely, and Wildrose is likely en route to government with the NDP in second or the NDP is threatening to form government, I think mostly Wildrose just to block the NDP. A few seats may stay PC and the NDP might get a couple.

* If the PC's are competitive overall, they might create a 3-region split and the PC's might survive there - can anyone say minority government with 3 strong parties?

* I'm not sure where in Calgary the NDP have the best chance, since they seem to have no history at all there.

* As for the Liberals, I can't see them as much of a factor at all. Their biggest names have jumped to Team Trudeau, and they likely won't have even a full slate of candidates. I think they will be lucky to get more than 2 or 3 seats.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 5:31 PM

The one thing I'm not sure about there is putting all of rural Alberta together. The wildrose support is certainly generally stronger outside the major cities, but it is also more concentrated south of the Battle River - which tends to operate on a slightly different wavelength than the areas north. Not to say the areas to the north couldn't go wildrose this time, but I'd say there are really kind of 4 regions, Edmonton, Calgary, Rural South and Rural North.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia