HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:53 PM
ABOVE people like you

RTD: I understand that you have a great disdain for big box developments, but you should realize that this one in particular will benefit Winnipeg in helping make it a shopping hub for a large regional catch basin encompassing several provinces and states.[/QUOTE]

Tower Crane: I think the addition of an IKEA to any City is great as long as it can be supported, it's really long overdue in the Peg.
I really don't think any one several provinces or states over would remotely consider an IKEA or any other store or stores a reason to travel to Winnipeg, usually there is some other reason primary reason such as Family, Vacation, Sports, etc that are the premise or reason of travel with Shopping as a added benefit. Odds are they have a closer location to them if they are several provinces / states over.
At best I would believe it combined with other power shopping stores or centres would attract provincial, Western Ontario, Eastern Saskatchewan, and Northern North Dakota and Minnesota Residents.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 10:05 PM

there are people who go out of their way to travel to IKEA - i follow a blog - somehwere in the south of the states and the one blogger and her husband will dirve 3 hours to their closest IKEA store and back home in a day once or month or so it seems to get stuff and than blog about it

i know people who go out of their way just to get the 50 cent hot dogs

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:05 PM

Anyone hear of an updated date for ikea? All I can find is the late 2011 to early 2013 time frame.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:10 PM
What could go wrong?

They have just started design. Construction should start late this year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They have just started design. Construction should start late this year.
I would hope that you mean "detailed engineering design" ... otherwise, was that pretty little render we were spoon-fed a year ago nothing?
I would think that they would want to take full advantage of the 2011 construction season to get started on the foundations, etc.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:59 PM

Yeah, would they be able to open it for 2012 if they started late 2011? They're doing work there yeah but its hard to see what they're doing

Unless they want to open 2014. Diff't story then.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I would hope that you mean "detailed engineering design" ... otherwise, was that pretty little render we were spoon-fed a year ago nothing?
I would think that they would want to take full advantage of the 2011 construction season too...
They really only need to get the foundation and footings done in the summer. The rest is a prefab steel structure that can go up at any time during the year.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:29 PM

looks like you beat me to editing my post.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I would think that they would want to take full advantage of the 2011 construction season to get started on the foundations, etc.
You have to remember they are not building the Taj-Mahal here. As noted they are building a big square steel box. The render they showed a year ago is the standard blue square box they could substitute for almost any location in the world. They have a basic design and slightly modify it to the specific site and location.

Construction happens in Winnipeg year round now. Big project starts aren't dictated by seasons anymore. Look at the stadium started digging and pouring the foundation in the middle of winter.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:25 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Anyone hear of an updated date for ikea? All I can find is the late 2011 to early 2013 time frame.
there will be a media blitz soon....and it will be crazy.

you have to also remember that this is WAY more than an ikea.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 9:20 PM
Mooderator

In Ottawa, they started actual construction on their IKEA site in late August 2010, and this is where they are now (just to give you an idea of what kind of pace to expect.. maybe it will be different for the Winnipeg location)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
some kinda metal superstructure rising on one end

DSC03665 by rakerman, on Flickr

DSC03679 by rakerman, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 9:27 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

The average IKEA takes about 18 months to build. That is about what it took for the new Calgary and Edmonton locations.

So its looking like late 2012 or early 2013 for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 9:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
They really only need to get the foundation and footings done in the summer. The rest is a prefab steel structure that can go up at any time during the year.
They will more than likely end up driving a small forest of pre-cast concrete piles for this foundation, with perimeter concrete grade beams, steel post and beam construction with infill walls, and a non-structural concrete slab on grade main floor. This kind of construction can easily happen anytime of the year.

I am actually shocked there would be much in the way of "detail" design required for an IKEA. The designs seem pretty cut-and-paste. They would just need to confirm foundation loading, and check the design against local loading for wind, snow, etc.

But back to the original point - yes, as long as you do it correctly, concrete can be poured anytime of the year - it just costs more to do it in the winter...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It's a way of life!!!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 2:24 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
there will be a media blitz soon....and it will be crazy.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:00 PM

I've always found it odd how IKEA never presented itself in Winnipeg, yet did so in Edmonton and Calgary when they were Winnipeg's size today. What an underserved market, especially when similar sized cities (Hamilton/Burlington, Quebec City) already have their own IKEA. From what I hear about Winnipegers going to the U.S. and bringing a shitload of IKEA stuff, it will be successful. Something tells me it would be successful in Saskatchewan too, which is in a similar situation. It has a total population to support it, but not a single city large enough.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:04 AM

yeah winnipeg to me anyway has such a history of furniture making too, home to palliser etc, its a furntiture town in my mind and to not have IKEA is overdue

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yeah winnipeg to me anyway has such a history of furniture making too, home to palliser etc, its a furntiture town in my mind and to not have IKEA is overdue
That was the problem... about 15-20 years ago, all the independant furniture stores like Penthouse. BRICK (not The Brick), Defer's etc lobbied the city to not let them come to Winnipeg... long story but it did happen and IKEA said F'You and only now has come back to the table...
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 7:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
I've always found it odd how IKEA never presented itself in Winnipeg, yet did so in Edmonton and Calgary when they were Winnipeg's size today. What an underserved market, especially when similar sized cities (Hamilton/Burlington, Quebec City) already have their own IKEA. From what I hear about Winnipegers going to the U.S. and bringing a shitload of IKEA stuff, it will be successful. Something tells me it would be successful in Saskatchewan too, which is in a similar situation. It has a total population to support it, but not a single city large enough.
Quebec City does not have an Ikea. Used to, but not anymore.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:31 PM

Whoa, really? How did QC lose IKEA?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan