HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 11:55 AM

Cycling in Edmonton/Building a Bike Network

I know a lot of people in this forum ride bikes either for recreation or to commute. I thought it might be a good idea to have a section were we can discuss issues related to cycling in Edmonton.

Here are a couple of recent news stories related to the subject...

Edmonton councillor pushes quicker bike plan

Don Iveson says funding cuts put bicycle-friendly improvements decades away
BY JAMIE HALL, EDMONTON JOURNAL

City councillor Don Iveson worries that transforming Edmonton into a more walkable, cycling-friendly place is going to take decades rather than a few years after hearing details Thursday of the newly revised plan for bikes and sidewalks.

Earlier this year, two multimillion-dollar plans were proposed to improve cycling and walking routes in the city:$100 million for a cycling strategy, and another $186 million for construction of more than 200 kilometres of sidewalks, mainly in older communities and commercial districts.

The two plans have now essentially been rolled into one and carry a much-reduced price tag.

Instead of nearly $300 million, the proposal that will be put forward to the transportation and public works committee next Tuesday will recommend that between 1.5 and 2.5 per cent of the city's annual capital budget be allocated to the plan, a number that will fluctuate year to year and amount to millions of dollars less.

"They've established funding recommendations that are too low to get the job done in the time frame I'd like to see," said a disappointed Iveson, who interrupted his summer vacation to hear details of the proposal.

"I don't think the resources are in place to make the sort of infrastructure investment that's going to encourage more people to walk more and cycle more."

The bike and sidewalk strategy is a key component of the transportation master plan, which will come before city council Sept. 14 for approval.

Much of the sidewalk plan was developed through review and public consultation to determine which streets get priority for sidewalk construction and repair.

Many neighbourhoods have essentially missing pieces of sidewalks while industrial areas have no sidewalks at all, which are needed to support transit services.

Iveson said while the city is a wonderful place for recreational cyclists, it's "lousy" for commuters who would rather park their cars and pedal to work.

Since 1992, which is when the bike strategy was last updated, the city has grown significantly, as has the number of cyclists.

Police recently started cracking down on skateboarders and cyclists who use sidewalks.

There has also been a rash of accidents involving cyclists. Earlier this month, one cyclist died, another was injured and a third suffered injuries that left him in a coma.

Iveson said while any injury accident is a cause for concern, he doesn't believe recent events reflect a trend.

"I think we need to monitor the safety of cyclists, but I'm not hearing alarm bells yet."

The new bike strategy is designed to support and integrate bicycles into the transportation system to meet the needs of both hobbyists and serious cyclists.

In addition to what will eventually become a network of 500 kilometres of on-street bike routes for cyclists across the city, the plan also recommends the use of marked bicycle-only lanes.

Historically, the city has used shared lanes to accommodate cyclists.

"The plan that is being proposed will chip away at the problem over decades but I think if we were a little bolder up front we could achieve more and see the kind of shift toward people walking and cycling that our transportation master plan in its draft form calls for," Iveson said.

jhall@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...729/story.html

City councillor wants cyclists to have option of riding on sidewalks
BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM AUGUST 25, 2009

EDMONTON - Edmonton cyclists should be allowed to keep safe by riding on the sidewalks beside main roads, Coun. Amarjeet Sohi says.

He asked for a report Tuesday on the steps needed to amend the bylaw that now only allows bicycles on sidewalks if they have wheels smaller than a 20-inch diameter, saying pedalling on the streets is often too dangerous.

“I ride my bike, and I ride it on the sidewalk. I know so many other people who ride on the sidewalk,” he said, explaining he uses multi-use trails or wider thoroughfares when possible, but sticks to a footpath rather that risk busy two-lane arterial roads.

“They’re breaking the law. The law doesn’t allow it. All I want is those people shouldn’t be given tickets.”

The changes wouldn’t apply to residential streets, downtown or Whyte Avenue, Sohi said.

“I don’t want to see people in a position where they would get a ticket just because they ride their bicycle on a sidewalk,” he said.

“What’s wrong with kids and mom and dad riding their bikes to a recreation centre or the public library or a convenience store?”

But Audra Jones, the city’s director of sustainable transportation, said staff asked hundreds of people from across Edmonton about this issue in 2007-08 during consultations on a new bicycle strategy, and most wanted the current rules retained.

“What we heard from cyclists is it’s safest if cyclists are predictable … The most predictable thing for cyclists to do is act like vehicles and ride on the road.”

Although two-wheelers are allowed on sidewalks in St. Albert, they can face collisions at driveways and crossings as well as the potential for hitting pedestrians, she said.

“Based on the feedback we received in the two years leading up to our bike plan, I think it was very clear that cyclists weren’t asking to ride on sidewalks.”

Michael Kalmanovitch, president of Edmonton Bicycle Commuters, also doesn’t support the proposal, saying cyclists on a sidewalk might not notice cars turning in front of them at intersections.

He’s also concerned about an increase in crashes between people on foot and people on wheels.

“If a cyclist is on a roadway, they’re following the rules of the road. If they’re on a sidewalk, which rules do they have to follow?” he asked.

“A fast-moving cyclist is a threat to a pedestrian.”

Coun. Don Iveson, an avid cyclist, said the proposal is symptom of a larger problem.

“Our roadways aren’t perceived to be safe for cyclists. That’s the root cause to deal with.”

Earlier this month, police began a crackdown on people biking, skateboarding or in-line skating on Whyte Avenue sidewalks between 109th and 99th Streets due to complaints from business owners and pedestrians.

Fines range from $100 to $250.

Sohi raised the issue after council’s transportation and public works committee approved a plan to spend $58 million by 2017 building new sidewalks, adding multi-use trails, marking on-street bicycle routes, constructing curb ramps and other parts of the new active transportation strategy.

This is less than the 10-year, $195-million budget proposed last year, because of the city’s financial condition, but three times higher than historical levels, according to a city report.

The overall strategy must still be approved this fall or next year.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/City+...208/story.html

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:17 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Iveson said while the city is a wonderful place for recreational cyclists, it's "lousy" for commuters who would rather park their cars and pedal to work.
That's what I've been saying for five years now. Edmonton has prety much the best cycling/ recreational trails of any large city in Canada, yet the actual infrastructure for getting point A to point B is sorely lacking.

Amarjeet is not helping. Bikes don't belong on sidewalks. Even where sidewalks are designated bike trails, it's far from ideal for cyclists or the pedestrians that have to share the space

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Speaking of bikes on the sidewalk, I was passed by no less than 8 on my 18 block walk to work down 100 Ave. Including two girls riding side by side, forcing every pedestrian into the grass, two wearing earbuds and one wearing full on headphones. not a single bell used. There were 7 people who passed me on the road, less than the sidewalkers.

I get that you don't feel safe on the roads so you turn to the sidewalks, but where are pedestrians like me supposed to go when we feel threatened and unsafe?

(note the "you" here does not refer to any of the cyclomuters or enthusiasts, it's the "royal you", so to speak. Or to Sohi)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:12 PM

I've been commuting on my bike frequently this summer. I've got a bit of an advantage living right next to Mill Creek Ravine - I hit the paved trail that takes me all the way to the foot of Connors Road. I don't have to deal with downtown traffic much as I work in Telus Plaza.

I'll say this about riding on the sidewalk - I do it, albeit briefly. From when I get to the top of the stairs at the Hotel Macdonald, to the bike cages on the west side of TP, I stick to the sidewalk. It's impossible, following the rules of the road, to get to where I need to be (without taking a round-the-block detour). When I'm on the sidewalk I'm going little faster than walking pace, and giving lots of room to pedestrians.

I understand why people ride on the sidewalk. There are a lot of inconsiderate, clueless or aggressive drivers in this city, and it comes down to self-preservation. That said, I think Sohi's proposal isn't going to fly. When it comes down to wheel diameter, that opens the door for BMXs.. of course, I see all those kids on the sidewalk already..

I just came back from Vancouver and Victoria, two amazingly cycle-friendly cities. The attitude towards bikes is entirely different there. People don't ride on the sidewalk because the bike lanes are there on the roads, and they know drivers expect bikes and know how to deal with them. Edmonton has such a NIMBY attitude that I can't even imagine the furor that would happen if we did something like Vancouver's closing one lane of the Burrard Bridge to nothing but bike traffic. I'm glad this council is starting to do something about that.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:24 PM
BANNED

I live just off of Victoria Promenade, and when it ends between 116 and 117 St the sidewalk is designated a bike path as the dedicated bike path (on the opposite side of the street) ends. I'd love for a "bike path ends" sign to be put on the intersection of 116/Victoria/100Ave to remind people that the little half block jaunt on the sidewalk is over and to get their wheeled selves off the sidewalk. As it is, they (almost) all just blithely continue on down the north side of 100 Ave, wooshing by me.

The entire construction/layout of the bike path in that area is ridiculous and promotes riding on the sidewalk. I'd leave it to the bike savvy to figure out a more suitable situation.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:03 PM

Has anyone been to Kelowna and seen their "Bike Lane" system? Seen it in use quite a bit when I was there this summer.

Is it possible for Edmonton to implement such a system? (My worry is that all roadways would have to be expanded to include the lane)

Most roads in Kelowna have very little to no shoulder, and in alot of cases no sidewalk either, which makes the bike lane an easy addition methinks

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:14 PM

^It's definitely doable in Edmonton...but someone's gonna have to break it to our car-loving society that they'll have to dedicate lanespace for....BIKES!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 4:35 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^^ Since the late 90s, all new and refurbished arterials have included an extra 0.5m on the curb lane to accommodate bicycles and future bicycle lanes. Part of the Cycle Edmonton plan includes actually marking these lanes, but given the sudden loss of will to fund this plan, I'm losing faith that this will happen in my lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:24 PM

One thing I've noticed living in Vancouver vs. driving in Edmonton is that the lanes here are narrower to accommodate bike lanes. Now, there are already large sidewalks for bikes and pedestrians along many of these streets, but last time I was up in Edmonton, I had the distinct feeling that if they shaved, say, 40 cm off the width of lanes along 153 Ave, 75 St... streets like that, the list goes on, there'd be enough room for bike lanes on all major roads. Plus, it'd have the added advantage of slowing traffic down a touch, which also makes for a more pleasant cycling experience.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 6:58 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
^^ Since the late 90s, all new and refurbished arterials have included an extra 0.5m on the curb lane to accommodate bicycles and future bicycle lanes. Part of the Cycle Edmonton plan includes actually marking these lanes, but given the sudden loss of will to fund this plan, I'm losing faith that this will happen in my lifetime.
Yup. A simple bit of paint would help a ton. Look to Waterloo... although the bike usage in the these new suburban areas with new arterials and bikes lanes is terrible. (complimented by a poor urban framework)

We should: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...rilla_bike.php
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:16 PM
HVAC guru

Vancouver is much the same way. Desginated lanes make a huge difference in separating the two different types of traffic. THe routes don't take meandering paths either, making commuting that much quicker.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 7:23 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^^ You know, I was just thinking about this the other day while I took 102 Ave. westbound home from work (I alternate between that and taking RVR/MacKinnon), and I'm tempted to grab a bucket of paint and take the initiative:

102 Ave. from 124 St. to about 139 St. is a signed bike route, however the road narrows across two bridges (Groat and the ravine whose name escapes me at the moment), and cyclists are permitted (expected?) to use the sidewalks to cross according to the signage.

It's a bit of a conundrum, because with the signed route and wide curb lanes, vehicles have lots of room to pass within the lane, but when approaching the bridges, it would be very dangerous to swing into the lane to cross. In this case, taking the sidewalk is preferred, even with occasional pedestrians to pass.

However, when coming back off the bridges, while the lanes return to the extra width, cars for whatever reason immediately veer right and make it very dangerous for cyclists to merge back onto the road. The only safe way to do it is to usually stop and wait for a break in traffic.

Arguably, it may have been safer for everyone to have kept the lanes at their previous width with the usual expectations of how to pass cyclists safely, however the change has already been made, and the only way it can be fixed now is to paint some lines. Even if they're just 20m or so before and after the bridge approaches, it would help immensely to keep cars from veering right when coming off the bridge and allow cyclists to continue without yielding or stopping.

Additionally, on the pedestrian approaches to the bridges, there are warning "chevron" signs that are poorly placed and force cyclists to slow down in order to safely manoeuver around. These need to be fixed as well.

I know, talking about it here doesn't do much, but I have been planning on writing the city about this. Now that I've fleshed it out here, though, I might just copy and paste most of this in my letter to them.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:13 PM

^ those bridges on 102ave are brutal. They're only wide enough for a single person, so if there is anyone else on them you have to come to a stop and shuffle past each other (and I don't expect that will ever get fixed). Thankfully no one ever walks in Glenora.

The chevrons are a pain too.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
I'd love for a "bike path ends" sign to be put on the intersection of 116/Victoria/100Ave to remind people that the little half block jaunt on the sidewalk is over and to get their wheeled selves off the sidewalk. As it is, they (almost) all just blithely continue on down the north side of 100 Ave, wooshing by me.

The entire construction/layout of the bike path in that area is ridiculous and promotes riding on the sidewalk. I'd leave it to the bike savvy to figure out a more suitable situation.
Yup, the reason people woosh by you is because the design sucks. Signage isn't going to help. I cheat there all the time, because the options it gives you are so ridiculous.

Also, the other reason that people habitually ride on the sidewalks along 100ave is because once you get east of 109st there is a lot less room for bikes on the roads.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:55 PM

To me, it just seems like a simple, cheap solution, paint lines on selected streets that make bike commuting to and from the core easy. Edmonton's roads are wide enough to spare a few feet on each side of a street for bikes. How much does road paint really cost?

I feel like Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear before he starts a challenge, "how hard could it be?"

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 8:49 AM

Cycling commuters need their own lane -- getting it will be tough
BY PAULA SIMONS, EDMONTON JOURNAL APRIL 22, 2010

Tuesday morning, I jumped on my bicycle and headed into the office for my first bicycle commute of the season. My ride always begins well, down quiet residential side streets. It's when I reach the downtown proper that my heart starts to race -- and not from exertion...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...874/story.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 2:48 PM
Community Guy

a lane is definitely in order along many routes, but also education by both parties on how to ride IN traffic.

I cannot get over how many cyclists i see going from biker to pedestrain to vehicle to biker to pedestrain.

Also, drivers need to know that yes, you can actually get by a cyclist who is keeping to the edge of the lane... i love drivers who follow cyclists for blocks at slow speeds because they feel as though they cannot get by and end up switching lanes completely.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
Part of the Cycle Edmonton plan includes actually marking these lanes, but given the sudden loss of will to fund this plan, I'm losing faith that this will happen in my lifetime.
Is it really that difficult and expensive for the city to go back to those roads and paint a line (and stencil drawing a bike every few hundred meters in there ) 0.5m from the curb? If the lanes are already there, just unmarked, then the difficult and expensive part is done.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:12 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
a lane is definitely in order along many routes, but also education by both parties on how to ride IN traffic.

I cannot get over how many cyclists i see going from biker to pedestrain to vehicle to biker to pedestrain.

Also, drivers need to know that yes, you can actually get by a cyclist who is keeping to the edge of the lane... i love drivers who follow cyclists for blocks at slow speeds because they feel as though they cannot get by and end up switching lanes completely.
exactly. Education is key, but getting more people to use the medium will require comfortable infrastructure that is conducive to trip patters (i.e. not river valley trails)
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:23 PM

I honestly think painted dedicated lanes with clear signage, logically connected and planned out, and all summarized in easily accessible maps is the answer to a lot of this grief.

Education helps, but it isn't a replacement for any of this. After all, theoretically every driver on the road should already be educated on how to drive in traffic with cyclists as part of their vehicle license requirements. And education only really works if you constantly update it all the time, and people don't ignore it. It's tough for drivers (even ignorant ones) to ignore a painted line on the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton