HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Though there are many people who enjoy the rodeo (mostly big hemi truck driving rednecks if you look at rexal's parking lot) there are many others who laugh at Alberta's love of rodeo and country bars...
See? Urbanites on this continent trash talk the rural folk all the time, but in reality, if you go almost anywhere else in the world and point out where Edmonton is on a map, and they happen to know that we have rodeo here, people will actually find that interesting, different, and exotic.

Personally, rodeos bore me as well, and I have no interest in horse-riding, ranching, pickup trucks, country music, nor farming. But if I am traveling and meet someone in Tokyo or Singapore and they imagine me, back home in a bar in Edmonton or Alberta where everyone is wearing jeans, everyone is drinking beer (even the girls), guys in cowboy hats are giving flowers to the girls, and couples are two-stepping to loud country music, they wouldn't be too far off-base.

And despite the fact that you hate rodeo so much and choose to call rodeo fans insulting names like "big hemi driving rednecks", that whole image is a part of who YOU are and where you are from. And you should learn to accept that it is an element of our own unique place in the world, and there is absolutely nothing wrong, nor embarrassing about that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:06 PM

Hey, did you know that Madison Square Garden in that urbanist dream city, New York City, hosts rodeos?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:23 PM

hemi drivin rednecks isnt meant to be offensive...its a truth. Drive by rexal's parking lot. O try working in a restaurant that gets A LOT of the CFR crowd...REDNECK. I don't dislike them, but they are what they are. "I don't want to vegetarian food, what do you take me for, some kind of queer" This is the CFR crowd...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 2:29 AM
HVAC guru

^ Wow, that's a pretty sad perception

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
See? Urbanites on this continent trash talk the rural folk all the time, but in reality, if you go almost anywhere else in the world and point out where Edmonton is on a map, and they happen to know that we have rodeo here, people will actually find that interesting, different, and exotic.

Personally, rodeos bore me as well, and I have no interest in horse-riding, ranching, pickup trucks, country music, nor farming. But if I am traveling and meet someone in Tokyo or Singapore and they imagine me, back home in a bar in Edmonton or Alberta where everyone is wearing jeans, everyone is drinking beer (even the girls), guys in cowboy hats are giving flowers to the girls, and couples are two-stepping to loud country music, they wouldn't be too far off-base.

And despite the fact that you hate rodeo so much and choose to call rodeo fans insulting names like "big hemi driving rednecks", that whole image is a part of who YOU are and where you are from. And you should learn to accept that it is an element of our own unique place in the world, and there is absolutely nothing wrong, nor embarrassing about that.
Well said sir.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
hemi drivin rednecks isnt meant to be offensive...its a truth. Drive by rexal's parking lot. O try working in a restaurant that gets A LOT of the CFR crowd...REDNECK. I don't dislike them, but they are what they are. "I don't want to vegetarian food, what do you take me for, some kind of queer" This is the CFR crowd...
Wow. It must be hard being so moral, modern, and progressive and having to live in a province full of stupid rednecks. Just goes to show, a hater is a hater is a hater, regardless of how "urban" he is or how many degrees he has. For all your "education" you can't even see the irony that you are nothing more than the opposite side of the same coin you claim to detest.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 3:29 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallisgood View Post
Wow. It must be hard being so moral, modern, and progressive and having to live in a province full of stupid rednecks. Just goes to show, a hater is a hater is a hater, regardless of how "urban" he is or how many degrees he has. For all your "education" you can't even see the irony that you are nothing more than the opposite side of the same coin you claim to detest.
Its the classic "I'm liberal and open minded to only those who share my values" syndrome.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:57 AM

Just for the record, yes i think i am better than the man who made that openly homophoebic comment. That was not made up, those were the exact words, "Vegetarian, what do you take me for" Yes i am better than "This Crowd" because i dont hate gays and torture animals...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:34 AM

Maybe that man knows a gay guy that doesn't eat meat. So he assumes all vegetarians are homosexual. Just how you assume all the people attending the CFR are this so called red neck hemi driving animal hating gay bashing farmer you seem to have met. Who knows right?! For all we know that same man could have grown your salad you be eating today ha ha ha...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 7:55 PM
Community Guy

That time of the year again, hope to see you all the the CHILI COOKOFF this Friday. Stop by our booth for some 'DUST BOWL CHILI'.

Friday Nov 2, Churchill sq, 1130am-1pm

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 8:06 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I'm way more excited for this event than I should be.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 8:11 PM
Community Guy

Beer gardens in churchill for CFR along with a CFR kinda take on Grey Cup... much much better COE/Northlands. Weather looks to be shaping up for a wicked time too.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:06 PM

This event is one of the most important, and should be celebrated, not politicized. This city has no problem celebrating cultures form around the world, but when it comes to our own (and if you don't think that rural Alberta has a culture, you have a very closed mind) we sure do enjoy throwing it under the bus (or steer in this case). Rodeo/cowboy is something that is not seen in most parts of this world, and is very unique to this part. Don't trash it, before you take the time to experience it. You just might find that those dually driving rednecks are some of the best people you will ever meet.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:26 PM

^ Exactly. It's our culture, and we should at least promote it and be proud of it. When I had family visit me from Europe a couple years ago the first thing they wanted to see was "cowboys and indians". They didn't give a crap about the art gallery or the Winspeare. They have way better stuff like that at home. Moreover, they were brought to tears by the wide open spaces, abundant wildlife, and absence of the stifling, overcrowded conditions that people in the rest of the world endure. Even the farms over there feel crowded and packed and compartmentalized. We don't how good we have it. There's so much we should be doing to promote our local culture and history to appeal to the European and Asian tourists... instead, we trash "Klondike Days" because it's not edgy and irreverent enough, apparently, and rename it "Capital X" (whatever the hell that means).

Personally, I prefer the city life, but that's no reason to disdain our history and what we are, especially if can be made into a source of jobs and exposure via tourism.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 12:53 AM

Canadian Finals Rodeo returning to Edmonton past 2016
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/sources-c...2016-1.3119339

Deal with Saskabush fell through.
Well, that was unexpected.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:08 AM

So I guess we will know in a few days how this will fit with the event at Rogers
Place.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:37 AM

^ It will be at Northlands for 2017 and 2018. After that ---?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:59 AM

I can't believe this. What a fuck up for the Rodeo people. Are we sure this is of any value to Edmonton? I think we should not spend a dime of taxpayer money after their hoops they put the City through.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:00 AM
Community Guy

What a mess.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:06 AM

Big Mess. But I'm still glad it's here for a little longer.

Whatever else happens to Northlands will take a couple years to figure out anyway. I'll go to CFR before I go to PBR

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton