HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Of course. That was how we intended to come back up north because the late evening water taxi schedule was even worse than the early evening schedule. We had wanted to do the water taxi because of how cool it would have been to have gone to Chinatown on the river.

And to keep this on topic, all of the activity on the river helps explain why this project is so river focused and isn't so much worried about views way over there of the Lake.
Haha, good. I love taking the water taxi to and from Chinatown. I've shown some of my friends visiting town and some friends I made who just moved to Chicago a handful of months ago. They all loved it and way preferred it to taking the train.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Haha, good. I love taking the water taxi to and from Chinatown. I've shown some of my friends visiting town and some friends I made who just moved to Chicago a handful of months ago. They all loved it and way preferred it to taking the train.
I just took the water taxi yesterday from the Wrigley Building to Chinatown for Dim Sum and back. It was an amazing experience and so relaxing. I can't wait to do it again

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 7:45 PM

DNAInfo is reporting Riverline is breaking ground today. They included an image of the 29 story building from the Wells St side, and boy...that base needs to cover up

Massive Riverline Development To Break Ground Monday
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-ground-monday

Last edited by Randomguy34; Sep 12, 2016 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Today is Monday

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:32 AM
Chicago

September 12, 2016

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 1:39 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...12-column.html

Quote:
Promising South Loop project could herald riverfront revival

Blair KaminContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

September 12, 2017

It's a rare thing to get a chance to develop 14 acres along the Chicago River, rarer still when that land is a short hike from Willis Tower. Done right, such an undertaking can provide a carefully-choreographed ensemble of buildings that lets people walk to work and frames lively streets, attractive parks and a continuous riverwalk.

It's going to be fascinating, or frustrating, to see if that vision is realized in Riverline, the big South Loop project that lines the river's east bank between Harrison Street and Roosevelt Road. A preview, which came Monday as Mayor Rahm Emanuel and developers broke ground, was encouraging.

With an estimated price tag of $1.5 billion, Riverline will consist of more than 3,600 apartments, condominiums and townhouses. It's one of the largest chunks of land assembled for development in downtown Chicago since the 28-acre Lakeshore East opened north of Millennium Park in 2005. Combine it with the anticipated transformation of the nearby old main post office into offices, as well as Related Midwest's yet-to-be-disclosed plans for homes, stores and offices on the 62-acre riverfront parcel south of Roosevelt, and you have the makings of a South Side riverfront revival.

The Riverline master plan, by the Chicago office of Perkins+Will architects for developers CMK Cos. of Chicago and Australia-based Lendlease, promises to invigorate a weed-infested riverfront site that's been dormant since the 1971 demolition of the Grand Central Station passenger railroad terminal.

Last edited by BVictor1; Sep 13, 2016 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:44 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:43 PM

Case Foundation moving in...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 6:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
They included an image of the 29 story building from the Wells St side, and boy...that base needs to cover up
I dunno, I think it's pretty badass and dynamic. This is Perkins+Will, what did you expect after 235 Van Buren and Contemporaine?

I would much rather see the cars in the garage (either with open walls ala Marina City or glass window wall) than see a giant blank surface.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:12 PM
Development Shill

Yeah the base is not offensive in the slightest, at least in the renderings. That could all change if the materials used on the base suck ass

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
where did you get the 13 acres from? i got 15 acres for the site when i measured in google earth (and i left out the parcel at harrison/wells).

it doesn't change the math much, but 15 acres equals .023 sq. miles, so with 3700 units x 1.5 residents, that would equal 241,000 ppsm.

anyone who thinks that 241,000 ppsm isn't dense enough for this parcel simply has no idea what they're talking about.
I Googled it and the article I pulled said 13 acres. I think the latest ones are still saying 14 acres. We probably should also include half the acreage of the surrounding streets as well to account for the fact that streets are included when looking at ppsm in a larger neighborhood/city context. That said, even if this development were double the landmass, it would still be in excess of 100,000 ppsm. That certainly satisfies my own appetite for density.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know of good studies or reading on residential density in terms of infrastructure cost and livability? I feel like numbers and research would be a good thing to have on hand when talking to the anti-density crowd (i.e. NIMBYs).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
While we're on the topic, does anyone know of good studies or reading on residential density in terms of infrastructure cost and livability? I feel like numbers and research would be a good thing to have on hand when talking to the anti-density crowd (i.e. NIMBYs).
Data is always good, but your plan makes the false assumption that NIMBYs are reasonable.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 3:11 AM

09/16/16

Sorry for the shitty picture, I was giving a tour and snapping a picture at the same time. It's not the best angle or position, but you get the idea.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:33 AM

Found this video on riverline thought you guys would enjoy. This is going to truly be a historic development for Chicago.

https://youtu.be/8tKvOlixo9M

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 9:20 AM

^^^ Cool. Good find.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 7:33 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

This happened pretty quickly!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:18 PM

I'm pretty sure they're drilling.

I saw Ozinga concrete trucks on site.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 6:10 PM

Just had the pleasure of shooting shit with an Ozinga driver yesterday who was delivering to one of my projects yesterday who was lamenting they didn't get Vista, but said they had Riverline. I guess Prairie has the contract on Vista, we will see for sure soon!

Are there two one one buildings under construction now? I know they kept saying phase one was a taller rental building and a shorter condo with the associated townhomes, but is the condo tower waiting on presales or something? If so, which tower in the master plan is the condo building they plan to start next?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:33 AM

I went by the site today and can confirm incase there was any question that the building D portion of this project under construction. Case was actively drilling caissons.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:53 PM
Chicago

September 28, 2016

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:24 AM

For kicks, I decided to take the Ravenswood home from Madison tonight and I was stupidly surprised to see the drilling equipment from the L stop.

This project will really extend some urbanity and humanity down Wells.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction