HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 11:27 PM

Warmer weather puts Edmonton gardeners in the (new) zone

Warmer weather puts Edmonton gardeners in the (new) zone

'(Gardeners) like to push the envelope in trying to plant things that are on the edge of the survival ratings'
By Adrienne Lamb, John Robertson, CBC News Posted: Feb 25, 2017 8:00 AM MT Last Updated: Feb 25, 2017 8:00 AM MT

Quote:
"We used to be a Zone 3A. Now we've moved up to a Zone 4A. Because of that there are more things that we can grow."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ners-1.3997875

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 11:43 PM

Definitely noticed the difference the past three years.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:13 PM

This of course is horrible for hot areas of NA that are becoming deserts, but at this rate I'll be growing zone 5 cold hardy bamboo within the decade.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
This of course is horrible for hot areas of NA that are becoming deserts, but at this rate I'll be growing zone 5 cold hardy bamboo within the decade.
hopefully not - at least on the bamboo front. it's one of the most invasive plant species there is.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:50 PM
DRINK

vegetation equality!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
vegetation equality!!
No I'm with Ken. I promise to build a wall. I will make the bamboo pay for the wall... by selling bamboo stakes. Undocumented bamboo will be sent back to where it came from.

I won't stop there though. Benefits of Dandelions... fake. Fake news, meant to discredit my wish to eradicate them from my yard. Tru-Green was hired as an independent adviser and they assure me that our lawn will be world class, and that dandelions are disgusting.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:26 PM
arf

Quote:
No I'm with Ken. I promise to build a wall. I will make the bamboo pay for the wall... by selling bamboo stakes. Undocumented bamboo will be sent back to where it came from.

I won't stop there though. Benefits of Dandelions... fake. Fake news, meant to discredit my wish to eradicate them from my yard. Tru-Green was hired as an independent adviser and they assure me that our lawn will be world class, and that dandelions are disgusting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:22 PM

I've often wondered how much local variation there might be in Edmonton: would the urban heat island push Oliver/downtown into a half zone higher? Is the west end slightly warmer than the east side? And what about elevation? Do the river banks protect areas like Cloverdale and Riverdale from cold winds, or do they serve to trap cold air, limiting what can be grown there?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
I've often wondered how much local variation there might be in Edmonton: would the urban heat island push Oliver/downtown into a half zone higher? Is the west end slightly warmer than the east side? And what about elevation? Do the river banks protect areas like Cloverdale and Riverdale from cold winds, or do they serve to trap cold air, limiting what can be grown there?
The zones are typically used to classify plants based on the ability to withstand the minimum temperatures of the zone. What has elevated Edmonton and other areas over the last several years is a softening of deepest deep freezes we experience.

I guess the biggest question would be is your micro-climate capable of insulating the area from a cold snap enough to change zone classification. If we hit -36 without windchill, I doubt that will change much from neighbourhood to neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
The zones are typically used to classify plants based on the ability to withstand the minimum temperatures of the zone. What has elevated Edmonton and other areas over the last several years is a softening of deepest deep freezes we experience.

I guess the biggest question would be is your micro-climate capable of insulating the area from a cold snap enough to change zone classification. If we hit -36 without windchill, I doubt that will change much from neighbourhood to neighbourhood.
Certainly the change from neighbourhood to neighourhood would be subtle, but if it's a matter of a degree or two--of Millwoods hitting -36C but Strathcona only hitting -34C--it could be enough to change the zone slightly, allowing some marginal zone plants to survive. Even more important of course is microzones within a yard; being sheltered and close to a vent can raise a zone.

I also remember a more dramatic difference in (was it?) 2010, when the international airport hit -47C but the city itself "only" went down to -36C. That's a few zones right there, though it was a pretty freak occurrence.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:59 PM

Guess it's not a whole lot earlier than usual, but noticed spring break-up on the NSR yesterday (April 3).

Might have even happened over the weekend.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Guess it's not a whole lot earlier than usual, but noticed spring break-up on the NSR yesterday (April 3).

Might have even happened over the weekend.
Still lots more ice up stream. The big break may happen later this week. Hopping its soon. Looking forward to getting back on the water this year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton