HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Most connected to Asia?
San Francisco and the Bay area 17 17.17%
Los Angeles 23 23.23%
NYC 2 2.02%
Seattle 3 3.03%
Vancouver (BC) 26 26.26%
Toronto 5 5.05%
Sydney 5 5.05%
Melbourne 0 0%
Honolulu, Hawaii 12 12.12%
Other 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
If we’re going by foreign-born communities...
Total foreign born is a factor but doesn't tell the whole story. Vancouver is the most Asian city outside of Asia. Go there and it hits you like a ton of bricks. London and New York are nowhere close to feeling as Asian. The Asian population (foreign and domestic born) is noticeable but in Vancouver it's more than 40% of the population. Asians flavour every aspect of life from the experience on the street, to business, to food, to culture, etc. It's not hard to see Vancouver become the first significant majority Asian city outside Asia. It could happen as soon as the 2031 census.

I haven't been to Los Angeles but based on the data it would follow what one sees in New York and London. It has a big Asian population but it doesn't stand out like it does in Vancouver.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:00 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Actually, Indians don’t view themselves as Asians, even though they are from that continent.

And what most westerners don’t realize is that Indians are not really one people. They are a bunch of ancient kingdoms lumped together, not unlike Europe, each speaking a different language.

Some of the largest diaspora of Indians who have populated the west are Punjabi and Gujaratis. They have mostly gone to the UK, Canada, California, as well as major US cities.

Most of the food that you know of as “Indian food” is Punjabi food. It’s good. Gujarati food—not so good.

Slowly this is changing as more South Indians are migrating across the globe. Their cuisine is different—but very good. There is a lot of Islamic influence from Hyderabad,where you will get some intensely spicy meat dishes. Ok now I’m hungry
theres a place called hyderabad house by my office that i love. makes me belch all afternoon, though.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Total foreign born is a factor but doesn't tell the whole story. Vancouver is the most Asian city outside of Asia. Go there and it hits you like a ton of bricks. London and New York are nowhere close to feeling as Asian. The Asian population is noticeable but in Vancovuer it's a third of the population.

I haven't been to Los Angeles but based on the data it would follow what one sees in New York and London. It has a big Asian population but it doesn't stand out like it does in Vancouver.

^ I don’t know, I’d have to say Honolulu may have Vancouver beat on that?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:10 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
^ I don’t know, I’d have to say Honolulu may have Vancouver beat on that?
I forgot to add south Asians so the Vancouver total is over 40% not a third. Aren't a large proportion of people in Honolulu Polynesian/Pacific Islander which is technically part of Oceania not Asia?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
W
Interesting that LA has lots of Far Eastern people (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc.) and Middle Eastern people (eg. Persians, Arabs, Armenians etc.), but not many people from the Indian subcontinent (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis etc.), which is in between the Far East and Middle East.
LA has a ton of Far Eastern + Persian + Armenian, but lacks all the mountainous Central Asian countries, for the most part. I don't think they have a lot from the -stan countries, the old Silk Road locales.

NYC has visible Uzbecki, Tajik (mostly Bukharan), Ugihur (technically China but really Turk), Georgian, Nepalese and Tibetan communities.

But I still think Vancouver is the obvious answer. It may lack Asian diversity but the comparable % is massive. And Han Chinese are the ascendant dominant culture in the city, analagous to Cubans in Miami 20 years ago. NYC and LA will probably never be Asian-dominated cities like Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:34 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
LA has a ton of Far Eastern + Persian + Armenian, but lacks all the mountainous Central Asian countries, for the most part. I don't think they have a lot from the -stan countries, the old Silk Road locales.

NYC has visible Uzbecki, Tajik (mostly Bukharan), Ugihur (technically China but really Turk), Georgian, Nepalese and Tibetan communities.

But I still think Vancouver is the obvious answer. It may lack Asian diversity but the comparable % is massive. And Han Chinese are the ascendant dominant culture in the city, analagous to Cubans in Miami 20 years ago. NYC and LA will probably never be Asian-dominated cities like Vancouver.
Yeah, because of Vancouver's lack of diversity (ironically including Asian) it might make it from a visual appearance to be the most directly connected to Asia/Asians, but of course there are plenty of other variables to be considered.

Additionally, yeah, cities like NY and LA with much broader diversity make it difficult to discern any particular "connection" to a region, culture, custom, continent.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:44 PM
Pay it Forward

Bay Area Counties by Total Asian Population, 2016
Alameda 32.8%
Contra Costa 19.9%

Marin 8.0%
Napa 9.8%
San Francisco 37.7%
San Joaquin 18.0%
San Mateo 31.5%
Santa Clara 38.6%
Santa Cruz 6.2%
Solano 440 19.0%
Sonoma 5.9%

*Counties with a population 1 million+ are bolded

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Most of the food that you know of as “Indian food” is Punjabi food. It’s good. Gujarati food—not so good.

Slowly this is changing as more South Indians are migrating across the globe. Their cuisine is different—but very good. There is a lot of Islamic influence from Hyderabad,where you will get some intensely spicy meat dishes. Ok now I’m hungry
I love south Indian food. Been enjoying it for a long time now, in fact when I go out for Indian food, it's often south Indian food that I get. But yeah, there are still people who don't know what dosa is or what idlis are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I nearly spit my drink out when I read that. LOL!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 7:55 PM
Environmental Sabotage

I think he means that perhaps because of a wide range of diversity in LA its heavy Asian presence may not feel as visible an influence like Vancouver. Feel and actuality are 2 different things. That said I think he is limiting his scope as what feels Asian to a limited geographical area in Asia. It is kind of hard to be in Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Downtown, the entire San Gabriel Valley, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Burbank, La Crescenta, Tujunga, LA Cananda, San Fernando Valley and not feel the influence of such a diverse mix of countries on the Asian Continent from the middle east to the pacific coast.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Considering the LA area has the most Asians of any Metro in North America, the largest Korean, Thai, Filipino, etc pops outside of their home countries and the second largest Chinese population, i would say LA is the most connected. Going to Koreatown (which is massive and growing) or the San Gabriel valley is really an amazing experience.

However, because of the vast size of LA and the congregation of so many other ethnicities, it doesnt feel like the most Asian city in the Western World. A smaller city like Honolulu or Vancouver might
Orange County also has one of the largest, if not the largest, Vietnamese populations outside of Vietnam.

I would say either the San Francisco Bay Area, LA/OC metro area, or Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 12:16 AM
BANNED

It's the Bay Area. Almost as many Asians as LA even with less than half the metro population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Bay Area Counties by Total Asian Population, 2016
Alameda 32.8%
Contra Costa 19.9%
San Francisco 37.7%
San Mateo 31.5%
Santa Clara 38.6%
These are the five core counties of the Bay Area. Their combined population is 6,337,917 (82.5% of total Bay Area population). Contra Costa County (CoCoCo!) stands out because it contains the predominantly European suburbs east of the Berkeley Hills. If you cut everything east of the Hills out and only include the ring around the Bay, the population becomes even more diverse.

Last edited by pizzaguy; Feb 11, 2018 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:04 AM
The City

There almost seems to be this dick measuring contest about who has the most Asians. This forum is indeed growing bizarre over the years.

As an Asian (Indian, really), I'm flattered that white people value my presence so much more than that of their own, really... Happy to oblige!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I figure it would be the biggest city on the West coast of the Americas. Los Angeles.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:58 AM

Asian presence in SF is more integrated throughout a wider spread of their cities whereas Asian presence in LA is more collectively rooted. So you go to Santa Monica and you don’t feel their presence. But then you go to San Gabriel Valley in east LA and Asians are the dominant presence. SGV is the population size of Philadelphia. It has something like 8 of the 10 most Asian-majority American cities, so these areas feel more like Asia than almost any other part of the country.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 11:28 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
There almost seems to be this dick measuring contest about who has the most Asians. This forum is indeed growing bizarre over the years.

As an Asian (Indian, really), I'm flattered that white people value my presence so much more than that of their own, really... Happy to oblige!
It's a weird pathology, that's for sure

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post
It's the Bay Area. Almost as many Asians as LA even with less than half the metro population.

These are the five core counties of the Bay Area. Their combined population is 6,337,917 (82.5% of total Bay Area population). Contra Costa County (CoCoCo!) stands out because it contains the predominantly European suburbs east of the Berkeley Hills. If you cut everything east of the Hills out and only include the ring around the Bay, the population becomes even more diverse.

What about Marin? That definitely sways towards the white side.

Also, for the Tri-Valley area (Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore), and even in parts of San Ramon, there has been a huge influx of Asian presence, especially with the all the new tract developments aimed towards tech workers with families. There are many Asian plazas with restaurants and supermarkets dotted all over the landscape.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:40 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaguy View Post

I understand what youre saying but your 'Whites Here' area, particularly south of Walnut Creek, has a very large Asian population:

Asian Population, 2012-2016, 20% or higher:
Norris Canyon, CA 50.1%
Camino Tassajara, CA 47.3%
San Ramon, CA 42.3%
Dublin, CA 36.6%
Pleasanton, CA 29.6%
Shell Ridge, CA 23.9%
Bayview, CA 22.4%
Blackhawk, CA 21.9%
Contra Costa Centre, CA 21.7%
Acalanes Ridge, CA 20.9%
Clyde, CA 20.2%

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:55 PM

Most places within commuting distance of Silicon Valley will naturally have a high Asian %, given the tech industry employee demographics.

I still don't see how it isn't Vancouver. The Bay Area and LA indeed have larger and more diverse populations, but Asians don't dominate either metro. In Vancouver, they're on the verge of being the primate group. And if you valued size and diversity in NA, the answer would be NYC, and probably then Toronto.

It's like asking whether Miami or NYC are more inherently Latin. NYC has a larger and more diverse Latin population, but the obvious answer is Miami, which is essentially a Latin city. The power/wealth structure in NYC (and LA, SF, and I imagine Toronto) is still overwhelmingly white Anglo. In Miami it's Hispanic, and I think Vancouver is just a few years behind.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:57 PM

The primate group? I know this is an error but you should probably fix that typo.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The primate group? I know this is an error but you should probably fix that typo.
How are Asians not on the verge of being the primate group in Van?

They constitute 40-something % of the metro population, and will be the majority within a few years. And Canada has lower birth rates than the U.S. so it's easier for ascendant groups to achieve demographic gains than in the U.S.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions