HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 6:02 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 exploring Hong Kong

Every time I fly out or back to Hong Kong, I'm always scrambling at my seat hoping for good weather. I have been lucky these past few years with some decent aerials flying over the city.

Quarry Bay is being progressively developed as an alternative to the expensive rents in Central district. A new skyscraper has appeared lately with good harbour views. The waterfront area has also been improved but the hot summer weather is a major deterrent for visitors.

Meanwhile, parts of these waterfront lands remain wasted. This is possibly because there is a highway right behind it, so if they build more residentials, the noise problem could get very annoying. <p>

There is another reason for visitors to come here. A retired fireboat is on display along the waterfront park. The Alexander Grantham went into service in 1953 and retired in 2002.

Across the harbour, the less aesthetic Kowloon Bay / Kwun Tong alternative CBD is taking shape. Its more industrial history makes that part of town far harder to beautify.

Hong Kong Island still has a lot of old residential blocks that are quite imposing and offer interesting photography opportunities.

Heading back to Central, you don't have to be a millionnaire client or a rich tourist to enjoy skyline views. The Hong Kong Monetary Authority has an exhibition area on the 55th floor of Two IFC where you can head to the windows and glare at the density.

Then head to the nearby City Gallery to see a scale model of what this old CBD will look like after reclamation and construction works finish.

The Museum of Coastal Defence occupies an old fort that had a strategic position at the eastern entrance to the harbour. While there are lots of military equipment on display, it is also a wonderful place to enjoy the views.

During colonial times, British soldiers were quite unaccustomed to the hot and humid climate here. They were also bored as the French and Russian military threats never materialized.

The torpedo was never fired out of here in anger either.

Hong Kong's fishing heritage is still alive and well in these typhoon shelters.

With these boats come the temples that protect the fishermen at sea.

For more photos, visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/hongkong.htm

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:23 AM

Very nice !

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 7:28 PM

Every time I see pictures of Hong Kong, I think I need to plan a trip there! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:23 AM
Hong Kong

The 1.6 km Ping Shan Heritage Trail debuted in 1993 linking several landmarks across historical villages in the northwest New Territories. Ping Shan was an important stronghold for the Tang clan, whose ancestors came from Jiangxi province during the Song Dynasty, and settled in this area in the 12th century. The clan built 3 walled and 6 other villages, including ancestral halls, temples, and study halls.

Just outside Tin Shui Wai railway station is Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda. Built more than 600 years ago, the hexagonal structure was originally located by the bay to ward off evil spirits and flooding as well as give luck to clan members taking the imperial civil service exams.

The Shrine of the Earth God is a typical feature in Chinese villages to worship for protection.

A short walk away, Sheung Cheung Wai was a walled village dating from 200 years ago. The layout was symmetrical with rows of houses enclosed inside. The moat has since been filled in, and many redevelopments have taken place.

The Tang Ancestral Hall was built 700 years ago and was restored in 1990. It is still used by the clan to worship their ancestors, hold important meetings and festivities. Outside, the courtyard guarded the hall with small cannons.

The village is still populated today but looks more like a modern lowrise town than an ancient walled village.

Kun Ting Study Hall was built in 1870 for both education and ancestral worship. It was used as a police station when the British occupied the area in 1899.

Ching Shu Hin is just next to the study hall and was used as a guesthouse. It was richly decorated to impress visitors with carved panels, murals, plastic mouldings, and more.

The full set : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-pingshan.htm

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:23 PM
Hong Kong

The southern shores of Hong Kong Island are home to a number of beaches just a short bus ride from the business district. Deep Water Bay is the first major beach on the bus route to Stanley. It has a large BBQ area overlooking the water.

There is a seaside promenade that links Deep Water Bay with the more popular Repulse Bay beach further south.

The crescent-shaped Repulse Bay beach is surrounded by expensive upscale residential buildings. It is well-equipped to handle visitors with changing rooms, showers, and shark prevention nets.

More : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-repulsebay.htm

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:37 PM
Babylon falling

Great photos so Hong Kong has a problem with Sharks? I have never heard that before.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:41 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Great ones mate!

I just came back from my 3rd visit to the city - love it!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:46 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Great photos so Hong Kong has a problem with Sharks? I have never heard that before.
We get the odd shark bite or whale sighting in the news every couple of years.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...hale-hong-kong

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...52H2X420090318

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:36 PM
Strange

Wow...So exciting!!Thanks for such views!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:31 PM

Making my first trip to HK in October and could not be more excited. Thanks for a taste of what's to come!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:09 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 3:15 PM
Hong Kong

The area around Wan Chai's Star Street, Moon Street, Sun Street, and Wing Fung Street is not only a quiet residential area, but also a popular dining destination with upscale bars and unique restaurants.

More : http://www.globalphotos.org/hk-wanchai2.htm

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:09 PM
Hong Kong

Jamia Mosque was built in 1849 as the city's first mosque. Today, its entrance is just off the escalator. It was expanded in 1915 and still has a quiet courtyard where kids play as the parents pray and socialize.

Midlevels is an upscale residential district along the hillsides facing the financial district. To make it easier for residents to get to and from work, an 800m-long covered escalator system ascends 135m from Central.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-midlevels02.htm

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:35 PM
Hong Kong

39 Conduit Road was a controversial residential project. The developer's offices were raided by police over complaints of unfair and fake transactions to artificially inflate prices. At the time, the top floor duplex was sold for HKD $439 million, the world's most expensive per square foot, but the sale was never completed. The media revealed multiple buyers were companies from the British Virgin Islands who used the same law firm, which was very unusual.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:19 AM

I am always wondering what if the aged and rusty billboards fall off and hit pedestrians?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 11:46 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I am always wondering what if the aged and rusty billboards fall off and hit pedestrians?
These incidents are rare and they can survive through typhoon season.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 2:52 AM
Hong Kong

Despite Hong Kong's reputation as a densely-packed city, there are still many small rural villages with plenty of green space and hiking trails.

Some of these villages are abandoned and nature is slowly reclaiming the land.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/hk-laichiwo.htm

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 12:53 PM
Hong Kong

Shatin was once a small village before the government turned it into a new suburb. Tsang Tai Uk is one of the original settlements that has been preserved. Built in 1847, it is home to a Hakka family, the Tsang clan. Guard towers rise on the village's 4 corners to keep an eye on menacing pirates.

More : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-shatin2.htm

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 12:48 PM
Hong Kong

The Ma Tau Kok Animal Quarantine Depot is the only pre-war cattle slaughterhouse left in the city. Built in 1908, its use ended in 1999 and a revitalization project turned the facility into an artists' village.

The 13 Streets neighbourhood is distinct with animals being part of each street's name. The decrepit buildings were originally built in 1958-1961 and is now home to a vibrant South Asian community thanks to its affordable rents. Next to it is a similarly decrepit area known as the 5 Streets, which include both industrial and residential buildings leading up to the waterfront.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/hk-tokwawan.htm

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

that is pretty cool to see.

it makes me wish cleveland has kept more of its stockyards history to redevelop like that, although it seems a lot was lost in hk as well.
at least its still an interesting neighborhood.

i wonder if there are historic pics for hk?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos