HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 12:22 PM

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...-development-/

Quote:
So-called condo king Brad Lamb is committed to his glitzy two-tower downtown project even if a new council kills a planned $1-billion LRT.

But the charismatic developer said he'll hit pause on other Hamilton developments if what he had assumed was a "done deal" light rail transit line goes down in electoral flames.

"It's preposterous. It is incredible to me that the question is even being asked ... Why don't you just hold a vote on returning to horse and buggies?" said the always colourful Lamb, whose "Television City" project could include a new tallest building in the lower city.

Lamb said he has purchased other properties in Hamilton with an eye toward developments on and off the transit corridor, but "I will not be proceeding on any of them without some certainty" on LRT.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The facebook comments hurt me.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:41 PM
Forever forward.

HSR has a new bus shelter design, I like it quite a bit except for the solar box on the top. Really detracts from the design, and serves no purpose to help riders other than to light up the advertisement box, as far as I can tell.

And the 2nd infoboard is still facing the road- months later.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 5:05 PM

Hamilton’s HSR testing first battery-powered bus

The city’s transit arm announced Tuesday that an electric bus has started “shadowing” diesel, compressed natural gas or hybrid buses on various routes, said HSR director Debbie Dalle Vedove.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...vrwx-_ay1-fq_0

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 6:49 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Hamilton’s HSR testing first battery-powered bus

The city’s transit arm announced Tuesday that an electric bus has started “shadowing” diesel, compressed natural gas or hybrid buses on various routes, said HSR director Debbie Dalle Vedove.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...vrwx-_ay1-fq_0
I saw the new bus being tested today, I can't wait until our entire fleet is electric!!! Tired of gagging on the diesel fumes!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 7:43 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I saw the new bus being tested today, I can't wait until our entire fleet is electric!!! Tired of gagging on the diesel fumes!

Our buses would look so much better if HSR got them with flush windows.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:19 AM

http://www.hamiltontransit.ca/new-ar...63PJbDQN2MAFUg

The City of Hamilton and the HSR have put in an order for more articulated buses.

The order will see eleven new New Flyer XN60 buses added to the fleet. The order is for early 2019 delivery. These buses will replace all of the remaining 0600 articulated buses (6 buses remain) as well as replace five other 40′ buses.

The replacement of standard 40′ buses with articulated 60′ buses will help expand capacity.

Articulated buses are used primarily on routes 1 KING (weekends), 5 DELAWARE (weekends) 10 B-LINE EXPRESS, 25 UPPER WENTWORTH (weekends), 26 UPPER WELLINGTON (weekends) 27 UPPER JAMES, 35 COLLEGE, and 51 UNIVERSITY. The buses are also typically used on special event shuttles and the TICATS EXPRESS.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:28 AM

good news on both fronts - electric buses and artics....I think as a way to expand capacity in a cost effective manner they should replace the next several retired 40 footers with 60-footers. Yes they need to add new routes, and more frequency, but adding capacity quickly with artics makes a lot of sense.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
good news on both fronts - electric buses and artics....I think as a way to expand capacity in a cost effective manner they should replace the next several retired 40 footers with 60-footers. Yes they need to add new routes, and more frequency, but adding capacity quickly with artics makes a lot of sense.
I see a ton of 40' buses that are regularly packed full. Having a bit more space will make people more likely to use the bus in the future if they didn't have to stand or be packed in like sardines.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
good news on both fronts - electric buses and artics...
Third bit of good news: New Flyer, not Nova.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:00 PM

HSR ridership inches up – after four years of decline
(Hamilton Spectator, Matthew Van Dongen, Jan 25 2018)

Hamilton's bus ridership inched upward last year for the first time since the city starting spending in earnest on a longterm HSR improvement strategy in 2015.

But some councillors say that's hardly reason to celebrate, given the city originally hoped to be serving an extra 2 million riders annually by now, under that 10-year strategy.

The city recorded about 21,522,000 rides on HSR buses in 2018, about a one-percent increase over the previous year. That's the first year-over-year growth since ridership numbers peaked at 22,250,052 in 2014.

Transit director Debbie Dalle Vedove called the improvement a "direct result" of council's commitment to continuing yearly spending to improve service – minus a "pause" in 2017 – outlined in the longterm strategy.

Dalle Vedove is recommending pursuing "Year 4" of the strategy in 2019, which includes an extra $1.8 million for service frequency improvements on the already-busy B Line as well as Mountain-to-downtown routes like 21 Upper Kenilworth, 20 A-line and 22 Upper Ottawa, for example.

Those improvements would mostly come online late in the year –alongside a proposed 10 cent fare hike in September. Overall, the proposed transit budget would jump14 percent, thanks in large part to an unbudgeted surge in demand for DARTS accessibile transit trips last year.

Don't count on Coun. Lloyd Ferguson to support the transit budget boost, however.

He said the numbers presented suggest the 10-year HSR strategy is "a miserable failure" and added he wants to "slam the brakes" on the rest of the spending plan until it is reviewed.

The Ancaster councillor argued the city's longterm transit plan originally envisioned ridership reaching 23,500,000 by now. Instead, it dropped "every year until now." Over that time, the city has added 30 new buses and 70-plus new drivers to variously fix service issues and, more recently, start to grow service or improve frequency.

On the other hand, the city was also forced to deal with an infamous no-show bus crisis in 2017 that at once point included 23 bus cancellations a day because no drivers were available. A hiring spree in 2018 eventually ended the mass cancellations, but it's unclear exactly how the problems affected ridership numbers.

Much of the new spending on HSR in recent years have been aimed at fixing problems in the system.…

The original staff author of the longterm strategy, former director Dave Dixon, also warned council in 2015 that fare hikes used to pay for improved service would inevitably slow ridership growth. Fares were slated to jump .30 cents over the first two years of the strategy and another .10 cent hike is forecast this year.

The next phase of the city's transit strategy is supposed to focus on growing the service. A majority of the planned frequency and service improvements this year are aimed at routes serving the Mountain, for example.

read it in full here.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:47 AM

I would be curious to know what city spending has been on HSR versus DARTS the last 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 2:24 PM

Battle set to resume on who pays what for city transit
(Hamilton Spectator, Matthew Van Dongen, Feb 28 2018)

A report on the tax implications of ending area-rated transit on Thursday is set to rev up the battle over who pays what — or at all — for bus service in Hamilton.

But don't bet on the matter being settled any time soon.

Since amalgamation, transit taxes have been "area rated" — meaning different parts of the city pay different rates of tax based on former town borders and bus frequency. (Rural residents pay nothing.)

Right now, an "old city" homeowner pays three times as much in transit taxes than a resident with the same home value in urban Ancaster or Stoney Creek, for example. The differing rate is meant to account for sometimes radically different levels of service.

But transit advocates argue the city can't expand or improve bus service with artificial transit tax borders in the way.

A divided council put off a debate on the contentious issue last term. But on Thursday, councillors will receive a report on the implications of ending area-rated transit: either using a unified tax rate for the entire city, or an urban-rural model.

In theory, raising the suburban transit tax rate to match the old city could raise an extra $11 million to put toward the bus budget.

But the new report suggests some suburban areas would see a hefty property tax hike as a result, ranging from $101 in parts of Stoney Creek to $248 in parts of Ancaster.

Read it in full here.

Councillors can vote to pay for service or choose the status quo in the name of blunting tax impacts savings, but if this operational funding inequity remains in place, the HSR should hold to the Ten Year Local Transit Strategy's recommendations:

• Ridership levels dictate service
• Maximum service standards based on seated capacity. Routes exceeding the maximum are flagged for added capacity
• Minimum service thresholds based on boardings per service hour. Routes not meeting the minimum threshold are flagged for potential service reductions

Last edited by thistleclub; Feb 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:18 PM

Wonder how/if this will impact the HSR's Novas.

TTC pulls Nova Bus hybrid buses after Quebec transit agencies take their fleets out of service
(Toronto Star, Stefanie Marotta, Mar 22 2019)

The Toronto Transit Commission is taking buses out of service on Friday that may have electrical issues to conduct full inspections, according to the agency.

In a statement posted on Twitter, TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the transit agency learned of potential concerns with the power steering units in hybrid buses manufactured by Nova Bus. It made the decision after seeing media reports about several public transit agencies in Quebec that pulled the buses made my Nova Bus due to similar issues, Green told the Star.

Green said in the statement that the buses may have issues with “moisture getting trapped in the electrical connection of the power steering unit in hybrid buses manufactured by Nova.” That moisture can lead to corrosion.

Of the 2,000 buses in the TTC’s fleet, 116 are the hybrid Nova Bus models delivered in 2018 and 2019, Green said, adding that 65 were out serving bus routes on Friday.

The TTC inspected 40 of these buses and “found that nothing would compromise performance or safety,” according to the statement.

Still, the TTC is taking the buses off the roads.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Wonder how/if this will impact the HSR's Novas.
This flaw apparently only affects hybrid models (for the time being). The HSR has CNG Novas.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 4:49 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

part of the tax increase is going to HSR and living wage they say.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:00 AM
It's Hammer Time

An electric bus from Proterra is in Hamilton for testing this week, the second model of three that the city will look at as it studies the feasibility of electric buses. HSR began testing electric buses at the beginning of December 2018. The electric bus is not in service, but is shadowing existing buses on a proposed itinerary that provides for different route geography, including three different escarpment crossings, long and short-range route options, different spans of operation to test battery drain, as well as reaching as many different areas of the city that residents may benefit from a less intrusive vehicle. A traditional HSR bus rolls up Hunter Street behind city hall past its innovative cousin.

Video Link

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...-electric-bus/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:43 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
An electric bus from Proterra is in Hamilton for testing this week, the second model of three that the city will look at as it studies the feasibility of electric buses. HSR began testing electric buses at the beginning of December 2018. The electric bus is not in service, but is shadowing existing buses on a proposed itinerary that provides for different route geography, including three different escarpment crossings, long and short-range route options, different spans of operation to test battery drain, as well as reaching as many different areas of the city that residents may benefit from a less intrusive vehicle. A traditional HSR bus rolls up Hunter Street behind city hall past its innovative cousin.

Video Link

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...-electric-bus/
This bus looks longer/larger and better looking than the bus I posted photos of back in November. I'm loving this one. I hope the city shares the pros and cons of each of the 3 buses so we as transit riders and tax payers can all have a say or at least knowledge of the process as to why they went with the one they choose!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:18 AM
BANNED

I still don't understand why the city does not have specific Express buses running with the BLAST moniker showing the demand.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:24 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I still don't understand why the city does not have specific Express buses running with the BLAST moniker showing the demand.
Join the club.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure