HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 1:26 AM

Enjoying St Patty's day with friends yesterday around town, I don't know if any day, other than New Year's Eve, brings as many folks out to the DT/midtown area. On a day for us that started with food and drinks at Jamies on Broadway, then on to Riverside Clubhouse, Club 2 Me, Chargin's Bar & Grill before ending up at Bistro 33 and then Streets of London which was chaotically packed with tents and people outside in the back.

Just that whole area between 16th st and Street of London at 18th and J was filled with people on the streets and at all the restaurants and bars/clubs we walked by, whether it was Hamburger Mary's, Lucca, Capitol Garage, The Park, Mikuni and others. There were lines to get in many places we drove by like Zebra Club, Bonn Lair and others with people awash in a sea of green.

At many places it was quite a young crowd for us 30 something folks, but enjoyed the day nonetheless. Didn't hurt that it was a ridiculously georgous 70 something degree day and warm night in Sacramento.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:51 AM

Yup, lot of people in the streets last night. It probably didn't hurt there were a lot of college students in town from other states for the NCAAs ready to party it up.

I didn't go out last night (got stuck with the inlaws), but we had dinner at Nishiki which was packed with green wearing partiers by 6:30. After, we walked down 16th for a bit and there were a lot of people walking from place to place. Uncle Vito's had a good amount of people, Simon's was PACKED, and the whole 16th and J/K was slammed as well. Very cool sight to see.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 8:05 AM
BUFF$LUT

oh my god, i was walking down j street last night, and you know that mini tunnel thing in front of "the citizen" hotel? well these guys had some of those mini alcohol bottles and they chugged some in there, 40 seconds later one of them pukes like right in front of us. it was the most disgusting thing i've seen in a while.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:42 PM

everything was packed on st. patty's. which is normal on weekends but this night you couldn't even go to half the bars because the lines were so long. I'm glad everyone had fun and stopped bitching about Sac nightlife for one night. although I guess this underscores the fact that even with all the choices we have we need more. But I have to give it up to the Lavender Heights District, that area now has the biggest clubs, the most lights, the most hapenning bars/restaraunts in all of Sac. It's pretty amazing, I think the Castro has some serious competition in Sac!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 5:59 PM
Here we stAy

Good to hear the scene was so lively this past weekend. It wasn't too shabby down here either.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 8:55 PM
BUFF$LUT

yeah st. patties was very live. i wish sac could be that live every other night. oh well.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 10:11 PM

Was on Green St. in SF Saturday - HORRIBLE. Would have much rather have been local.

/wasn't my choice to go

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 3:10 AM
BUFF$LUT

haha, i bet green street was literally green!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 4:17 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
yeah st. patties was very live. i wish sac could be that live every other night. oh well.
Ya, thats why we need a private college downtown so all those rich kids could spend their drinking money in our clubs, restaurants and bars. Downtown/midtown would be like St pattys day everynight.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 4:33 AM
BUFF$LUT

no joke. that would be great. like chico, omg if you go to like ivy street on a friday/saturday night, its like a parade of people! there are parties right next to eachother, it is cuh-razy! i almost got a ticket for carrying a beer! cops galore.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:25 AM

It is too bad that Sac State, a campus of 27,000 students is such a commuter school, considering that the school is not that far from midtown/downtown. Too bad we don't have the kind of social activity near campus like UC Berkeley or Arizona State Univ in Tempe where I visited several years ago. Heck even Davis' downtown tends to be alive with students visiting many of the restaurants although Davis does not have much of a bar/club scene IMO. It may have improved as I haven't done the Davis student bar/clubbing thing since my days at Sac State.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:33 AM
BUFF$LUT

AAAND sac state is technically on j street, which makes it cooler. but it would be even cooler if it were in the midtown j street. that would be quite interesting. a highrise campus! ha.. ha..

*tumbleweed rolls by*

okay maybe not a highrise campus. but yeah, sac needs that college life. it would be more live for sure.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
It is too bad that Sac State, a campus of 27,000 students is such a commuter school, considering that the school is not that far from midtown/downtown. Too bad we don't have the kind of social activity near campus like UC Berkeley or Arizona State Univ in Tempe where I visited several years ago. Heck even Davis' downtown tends to be alive with students visiting many of the restaurants although Davis does not have much of a bar/club scene IMO. It may have improved as I haven't done the Davis student bar/clubbing thing since my days at Sac State.
Most Sac State students hang out at the bars in East Sac which can get pretty crazy on weekends. Too many Sac State students live in the sprawling suburbs and commute to campus. Many live on La Riviera, Howe, Fair Oaks BLVD., in that area because it's cheaper. Midtown is starting to price out a lot of students and many landlords don't want to rent out to students in that area now that professionals are flocking to Midtown/East Sac. My friend was looking for a roommate and half his inquiries came from CSUS students. But he also got a lot of interest from state employees, medical professionals, and other professionals and guess who he ended up picking?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:39 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Good news: 20th and K is looking good with the new Faces, Marrs Project and Badlands nightclub(opening Mar 31). I took these pics Sunday.

The Badland's in SF's Castro district is a SF institution. It's been serving the Castro district since the beginning of time. Sacramento's Gay Community has high hopes for this new sister club.

[/B]

Last edited by BrianSac; Mar 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:44 AM
BUFF$LUT

i'm not sure if we already went over this, but is badlands 21+ or 18+? becuase if its eighteen and over then i will be there in 3 months dancing like this

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:39 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
i'm not sure if we already went over this, but is badlands 21+ or 18+? becuase if its eighteen and over then i will be there in 3 months dancing like this

21 my man, 21.

Bojangles at Club 21. is 18+ on certain nights. Its on 21st street around the corner from Badlands/Faces/Depot. Check it out Bro.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:00 AM
BUFF$LUT

damn! i need to be 21! i hate being 17.. ugh..

there needs to be more 18+ clubs.

but thanks, i'll check out bojangles. sounds festive.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:33 PM

thoughts on Sac nightlife...

I just came back from SF recently and I have to say our nightlife holds up very well in comparison. This wasn't the first time I felt this way either. Of course SF has the advantage of having a much greater number of bars, clubs, and live shows but the crowds here are bigger in many instances and imo better looking. Of course SF has never really been much of a party town. What do you guys think? How does Sac hold up compared to other major cities you've partied in in terms of nightlife, good-looking people, and live shows?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:55 PM

Greenmidtown, sorry, got to disagree with you here. I lived in SF for two years back and Sacramento's nightlife just does not compare. It's tolerable but there is so much more options and variety in SF seven days a week. While Sac is getting better, we need more areas with a congregation where you don't need to drive from place to place. The 15th / 16th street corridor from H to L is a good start. Lots of restaurants, theater and nightclubs in that area with even more coming. Huge swats of midtown is really becoming an active restaurant/nightlife destination. While SF has agreat nightlife andrestaurant scene in several neighborhoods, I really like the vibe in San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:00 AM

While I think Sac's nightlife is underrated and doesn't deserve the crap it gets from people, it doesn't compare with SF right now, but is getting better and better each year.

Quote:
we need more areas with a congregation where you don't need to drive from place to place
Agree..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area