HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:47 PM

Boston - Halifax Ferry

I had heard about this some time ago and forgotten about it until I stumbled onto this website:

http://boston-halifax-ferry.com/index.html

Certainly an impressive thing should they get it going. But I wonder how feasible it is, at least for passenger traffic. Their proposed costs are pretty stiff. I can see it for trucks though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The big problem is that the time savings compared to driving are not that great, if they exist at all. The distance ratios for Yarmouth-Bar Harbour are much larger - you end up traveling maybe 150 km instead of 500 km+. For Halifax-Boston it would be 800 km instead of 1000 km or something similar.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The big problem is that the time savings compared to driving are not that great, if they exist at all. The distance ratios for Yarmouth-Bar Harbour are much larger - you end up traveling maybe 150 km instead of 500 km+. For Halifax-Boston it would be 800 km instead of 1000 km or something similar.
True, but Bar Harbor isn't the final destination for most, so there is almost always additional travel involved at the US end, whereas many people would disembark at Boston and not go much further. But the time and cost involved does not compare well to airfare and a rental car.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
True, but Bar Harbor isn't the final destination for most, so there is almost always additional travel involved at the US end, whereas many people would disembark at Boston and not go much further. But the time and cost involved does not compare well to airfare and a rental car.
Agreed. The beauty of this idea is that you could leave your car at home, hop of a ferry after work on Friday evening and wake up in Boston for the weekend!!!! Who wants to drive 5 hours to Yarmouth, ride a ferry for 3 hours, then drive another 2 hours to Boston? You can drive straight thru in 10-11 hours. So you're not saving any time and you're adding a whole lot of hassle. The Yarmouth ferry just doesn't make any sense for a Halifax to Boston trip. I would DIE for a Halifax to Boston ferry. That would be "wicked awesome"!

Also... just an aside... I thought their idea was to use Karlsen's Wharf... but that property is now owned by the Navy.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:45 AM

Just checked out the website. I didn't know they had a site. They are looking at the Ocean Terminals now as an option since Karlsen's has since been sold to DND (I think). They say only this about cost:

"As it looks under current (2006) rates, a couple could travel one way with car in a standard cabin for about $430, compared to an air fare with car rental of about $600."

Ok... so who the heck wants to bring their car with them to Boston? For me at least, I'd be thinking of this as a vacation thing. I don't want to drive when I'm on vacation. I'd just take the T everywhere. So I wonder what the cost would be for a single person with a cabin and NO car. If it's in the $200 range... that would be cool. You couldn't drive there for that much.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 8:47 PM

I think the potential for business is pretty solid both ways; Haligonians traveling to Boston to check out a bigger city and maybe take in a major concert or sporting event, and Bostonians traveling to Halifax for its lower drinking age and liberal attitudes toward weed and sexuality. Halifax would essentially become Boston's Gatineau.

Last edited by spryscraper; Sep 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryscraper View Post
I think the potential for business is pretty solid both ways; Haligonians traveling to Boston to check out a bigger city and maybe take in a major concert or sporting event, and Bostonians traveling to Halifax for its lower drinking age and liberal attitudes toward weed and sexuality. Halifax would essentially become Boston's Gatineau.
HAHAHA I like that. Its so true though, thats the funny part.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 12:54 AM

They have now mentioned this on the news to become a reality within 2010

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 1:01 AM
we built this city

Well, if their website is any indication of this actually happening, I wouldn't bet on it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:06 AM
You talkin' to me?

Can anybody confirm this? I'd like to know for sure if its true.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:23 PM
You talkin' to me?

Looks like this will be happening afterall . I really wish it was going to Boston from Halifax though.

Quote:
Ferry service to New England by 2012: Operator

JENNIFER TAPLIN
METRO HALIFAX
Published: October 15, 2010 3:45 a.m

Scotia Cruises is buying a ferry to make a Halifax-New England run starting in April 2012.

Bruce McNeil, spokesman for Scotia Cruises, wouldn’t disclose the price tag in an interview Thursday, but said the ship will carry 1,500 passengers and 460 vehicles.

“Right now our consultant over in Norway is in acquisition phase on our behalf on a ship called The Isle.”

McNeil said he’s 100 per cent sure his ferry service will happen because of their international team and investors, and because they received a green light from a lending institution to buy the ship.

Once the contract is signed, McNeil said, the ship will be taken for renovations at the Irving Shipyards.

It will leave Halifax every second day at 8 p.m. arrive in New England (most likely Portland, Maine) at 4 p.m.

“We are looking for people who want to make this trip as part of their vacation package. And I don’t know anybody who’s in a hurry when they’re on vacation.”

McNeil said he’s offering the price of a ferry with the amenities of a cruise ship, but this ferry will only call Halifax home for half the year. In the winter months, it will sail out of Florida for trips to the Bahamas.

There is another company, Karlsen Shipping, trying to start up a Halifax-Boston ferry service, but McNeil said it’s not a competitor.

“We’re keeping each other abreast of what we’re doing. Whether something would merge in the future, that hasn’t been stated yet, but I’m not ruling it out.”

And Friday is the deadline for operators to get in their proposals to run a Yarmouth-New England ferry.

“I wish Yarmouth the best of luck, but at this time I think myself and a number of people are wondering where they’re actually going,” McNeil said.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:28 PM
Honored Member

Great news. Does anyone have any pictures of this ship? This will be almost like a cruise ship with a home-port of Halifax. I wonder if it will be luxurious enough to be marketed as a short cruise to people in the rest of Canada? Then people could fly into Halifax and take the cruse to Boston (or Portland - but these cities are quite close together).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 7:00 PM

I really don't see this lasting... Sorry.

Who in the world would fly to Halifax, spend the thousands of dollars (plane ticket, ship ticket etc. You'd probably spend close to a grand.) Just to sail for like 1 day, and go to Portland Maine. Come on. Or if they where already here, and just wanted to sail on it, that would work, but I doubt there is enough people to make it profitable.

I don't see people buying this as a short cruise, it's a ferry no matter how you spin it. They tried to spin the Cat as a tourist destination, as it was an interesting ship, fast, had amenities etc. etc. And it didn't work. People went to look at the ship, rather then actually go on it... Which isn't very profitable.

The only thing that would help this new company is they would actually turn it into a 'cruise ship' in the winter months down in Florida/ Bahamas.

I'd give it... 5-10 years of operation, and we'll be back here talking about how this didn't last or succeed.

I do wish them the best, and I can't wait to see the ship. But I have my doubts, as I just don't see the demand. Trucks would end up being the main use for this ferry just like it was for the Cat. Halifax, and Portland are just not big enough destinations (at least to warrant a ferry between the two,) nor do they have alot of business travelers etc. Going between the two cities to need a ferry.

Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; Oct 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 7:15 PM

Amazing news!

I guarantee the folks from the south shore who lost their ferry will be up in arms though.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 9:10 AM

It would seem to me to make more sense for them to just step into the operation of the former Yarmouth/Maine service.

I can't see where the ship would even dock in Halifax?

Either way - will be interesting to see how it goes...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure