HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:29 PM
Transit Nerd

Winnipeg's Long List of Unrealized Phase II Projects

- RT
- TD Tower/Canwest/201 Portage
- Trizec/360 Main

Anyone got more to add?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Anyone got more to add?
The Portage Place tower come to mind.

Another one I know of is the Multiplex as the Maples community center was designed to have multiple sheets of ice yet only one was built. I suspect a lot of community centers are that way.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:34 PM
Armchair urbanist

Walker Theatre - Link

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 7:57 PM

According to page 4 of this pdf on the history of the Curry Building (233 Portage Ave), it was originally "intended to be the base of an eight-storey retail/office tower". Interestingly, it says that reinforced concrete and steel were used as structural materials, which raises the technical feasibility of building those six extra storeys above it today. Avenue Part II, anyone? (Seeing as the Curry building is the eastern neighbour to the Avenue Building).

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the curry building

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 10:06 PM

I'd be willing to bet that Fort Rouge doesn't see Phase II, at least not for a very, very long time. Considering it has taken 3 years and there is nothing going on with phase I. Not to mention phase III and IV.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that Fort Rouge doesn't see Phase II, at least not for a very, very long time. Considering it has taken 3 years and there is nothing going on with phase I. Not to mention phase III and IV.
This is contingent on RT development, I feel.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 11:47 PM

By the sounds of it the developer is going through many legal issues that are hindering the project. These issues seem to be financial in nature. I believe the developer has had a problem with paying his contractors in the past.

He is also a good friend of Katz and many are assuming that he was given a shoe in for this project because of this affiliation. I hope I am wrong, but this could very well be one of our most important infill projects going down the drain because of our incumbent incompetent mayor.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
By the sounds of it the developer is going through many legal issues that are hindering the project. These issues seem to be financial in nature. I believe the developer has had a problem with paying his contractors in the past.

He is also a good friend of Katz and many are assuming that he was given a shoe in for this project because of this affiliation. I hope I am wrong, but this could very well be one of our most important infill projects going down the drain because of our incumbent incompetent mayor.
I'll be surprised if phase 1 gets off the ground with b&m land I shined it. Anyone who's driven down mcphillips in the past 5 years know the eyesore of a half finished rental/converted to condo midway project that they're behind. I was optimistic that the conversion to condos would get the project finished but after some work it has seemed to stop again. There's a frame of a building that's sat there for 4 years, windows installed last year and has sat untouched since.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 3:45 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'll be surprised if phase 1 gets off the ground with b&m land I shined it. Anyone who's driven down mcphillips in the past 5 years know the eyesore of a half finished rental/converted to condo midway project that they're behind. I was optimistic that the conversion to condos would get the project finished but after some work it has seemed to stop again. There's a frame of a building that's sat there for 4 years, windows installed last year and has sat untouched since.
Oh God, I see that crap there every time. I was very optimistic as well, when they were developing it, but nope. S**t had hit the fan for whoever is responsible for that property, and now it's sitting there idle, half-assed, with rain-stained particle boards of the buildings, still bare.

If any, the city should seize the land and tear it all down.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 7:34 PM

How about the Winnipeg City Hall.

The Council Chambers and the washrooms were suppose to have a seat for every A-Hole in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:

The project should start construction soon. Regardless of what people think of Marquess, you have to remember the type of project that this is - basically the biggest infill project in Winnipeg history. There were site contamination issues, drainage issues, BRT issues, combined sewer issues, etc. etc...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan