HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
Any recent photos of news of downtown Huntsville projects?
Not much to see. Just dirt.

In regards to the Constellation project, The Spring Hill Suites by Marriott hotel is complete but nothing else has been built.

They are starting to tear down the ghetto by the Hospital and US 431 is a mess as they expand it 4 lanes.

All construction and development is on hold in downtown except for the new Hudson Lofts. I walked by there on Saturday and it's moving along nicely. I hope they plan to put more restaurants on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I think Huntsville will be a major player despite this report

Volkswagen’s luxury automaker Audi may be leaning toward Mexico for a North American assembly plant, according to WardsAuto.

In a report, it cited Mexico’s lower labor costs and that a facility there would allow Audi to export vehicles to South America, and even to Europe if necessary, without paying excessive import and export tariffs.

A top Audi executive at the North American International Auto Show last week cited Chattanooga as an “attractive potential location” for its first North American production plant.

But, Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen said the VW brand already has aggressive plans for its Chattanooga site. He added that there was no final decision.

In addition to the 1,300 acres on which VW built its plant, the company also has an option for 1,000 adjacent acres.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 8:08 PM

According to WAFF Airtran is leaving in August. I'm not surprised while the flights to Baltimore usually seemed close to full ( i have flown it several times) the flight to Orlando and back I took was fairly empty. Being a low fare carrier they are highly dependent on the flights being near capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
I flew on Airtran to BWI from Huntsville for the first time this weekend. I have to say, the Huntsville airport has really improved it's overall look. The new security area was very nice. Very busy on a Thursday morning though.

The Airtran flight was about 2/3 full out going and returning. I hope they (and Southwest) continue to service Huntsville.

We actually drove up to New York from Baltimore and it was less than 3 hours. The airfare was less than $160/round trip plus $83 for a rental car. Definitely a lot cheaper (and quicker) than the $400 airfare on Delta with a 1 hour layover in Atlanta. I might consider taking the Amtrak train to New York from BWI next time.

The only negative that have to save about Airtran is that they don't offer a lot of connection options to other destinations. If they ever start flying to Atlanta, I think the planes would be at full capacity all the time.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:58 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Some rumblings of a new development on Bob Wallace between the Parkway and L&N Drive with Whole Foods being a possible tenant. Seems to be a lot of potential new stuff all along Memorial Parkway (M'eml sorry) and of course University. Meanwhile the building boom continues on Redstone Arsenal, The
1 billion dollar Redstone Gateway moving along, renovations will be beginning on a lot of the older structures especially in the NE quadrant of the Arsenal, Martin Rd widening, and a new Gate 7.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:13 AM
America's Mars Rocket

a little fun history from Huntsville's past The Saturn V Moon Rocket

The Marshall Center’s role in meeting that challenge was absolutely vital. The Center was assigned the task of building the Saturn V rocket that would launch the astronauts on their way to the moon. Engineers, scientists, administrators, and contractors worked night and day to develop the technology powerful enough to lift the 363-foot tall, 6.2-million pound Saturn V rocket into space. Some estimates stated that the Saturn V engines produced as much power as 85 Hoover Dams. Saturn components and rocket engines were tested at various sites including Huntsville. Saturn testing was an unparalleled spectacle of sight and sound in Huntsville. A visiting magazine writer once called Huntsville the "Land of the Earth Shakers." One "leaves the observation bunker with a weakness in the knees that is just short of collapse... It was total flame, total sound, total power." The noise was sometimes heard in a radius in excess of 100 miles.

The tallest skyscraper in Huntsville

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

My mom, grandfather (who worked on the Saturn V), and aunts always tell me about how the ground shook when they tested the boosters. What makes it even more interesting is that my mom's family lived in Decatur and could feel it even from that distance.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
According to WAFF Airtran is leaving in August. I'm not surprised while the flights to Baltimore usually seemed close to full ( i have flown it several times) the flight to Orlando and back I took was fairly empty. Being a low fare carrier they are highly dependent on the flights being near capacity.
Since people flying in and out of HSV find more value in their frequent flyer miles than in supporting a discount carrier, this market will likely be a Delta monopoly to ATL from now on.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvillefan View Post
Since people flying in and out of HSV find more value in their frequent flyer miles than in supporting a discount carrier, this market will likely be a Delta monopoly to ATL from now on.
In that case, I hope Delta gives us more 737s and less CRJs. That means, get the regional carriers out of here and make it Delta O&O'd.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 3:17 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Last week, the Huntsville City Council agreed to pay Reed Contracting Services $1,088,344 to add a third lane for outbound arsenal traffic. City Engineer Shane Davis said the new lane will begin at Gate 9 and continue north for about half a mile to the on-ramp for Interstate 565 east.
Plans also call for two new right turn lanes from southbound Rideout Road into the Redstone Gateway office park, Davis said Friday.
HSV Times

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Some rumblings of a new development on Bob Wallace between the Parkway and L&N Drive with Whole Foods being a possible tenant. Seems to be a lot of potential new stuff all along Memorial Parkway (M'eml sorry) and of course University. Meanwhile the building boom continues on Redstone Arsenal, The
1 billion dollar Redstone Gateway moving along, renovations will be beginning on a lot of the older structures especially in the NE quadrant of the Arsenal, Martin Rd widening, and a new Gate 7.
Have they actually started building something here? And where is it exactly, there isn't any open spaces in that little stretch of Bob Wallace. It would be nice if they did put something like that there though. Definitely a good place for a Whole Foods.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
Have they actually started building something here? And where is it exactly, there isn't any open spaces in that little stretch of Bob Wallace. It would be nice if they did put something like that there though. Definitely a good place for a Whole Foods.
It sounds like it would be a total redo. Raze whats there and start over. Not sure what properties are involved or if and when it would begin.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
It sounds like it would be a total redo. Raze whats there and start over. Not sure what properties are involved or if and when it would begin.
I could see it on either corner or Bob Wallace and the Parkway. It'll be interesting to see.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamastu13 View Post
I could see it on either corner or Bob Wallace and the Parkway. It'll be interesting to see.
Trader Joe's would look real good at the old Books-A-Million/Golbro location on Airport Road.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
In that case, I hope Delta gives us more 737s and less CRJs. That means, get the regional carriers out of here and make it Delta O&O'd.
Expect the airfare prices to sky rocket out of Huntsville.

If Airtran would have offered flights from HSV to Atlanta the planes would have been full. The Baltimore flights where full and the Orlando flights where sometimes full. The biggest problem, there where no connection options out of BWI or MCO.

It wasn't the Frequent Flier program that did Airtran in, it was the lack of connection options. Let's face it, if you where flying to HSV from anywhere except BWI or MCO, you would not use Airtran. The Orlando flights left in the middle the of the afternoon, not good for business travelers.

Also Southwest already services BHM and Nashville. Why keep HSV?

Maybe Southwest will eventually end those backroom deals between Delta and the city of Atlanta that restricts flights to/from certain high value markets. That's why Airtran didn't fly to Atlanta. Besides Southwest isn't always cheap.

Well, at least you can still fly to Chicago for $200 on Saturday morning with a return on Tuesday.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Expect the airfare prices to sky rocket out of Huntsville.

If Airtran would have offered flights from HSV to Atlanta the planes would have been full. The Baltimore flights where full and the Orlando flights where sometimes full. The biggest problem, there where no connection options out of BWI or MCO.

It wasn't the Frequent Flier program that did Airtran in, it was the lack of connection options. Let's face it, if you where flying to HSV from anywhere except BWI or MCO, you would not use Airtran. The Orlando flights left in the middle the of the afternoon, not good for business travelers.

Also Southwest already services BHM and Nashville. Why keep HSV?

Maybe Southwest will eventually end those backroom deals between Delta and the city of Atlanta that restricts flights to/from certain high value markets. That's why Airtran didn't fly to Atlanta. Besides Southwest isn't always cheap.

Well, at least you can still fly to Chicago for $200 on Saturday morning with a return on Tuesday.
I would agree with your argument that the reason AirTran was not successful at HSV is because there were limted connections at BWI and no connections at MCO. However, the reason AirTran chose not to offer flights to their ATL hub is not because of back room deals with the CIty of Atlanta restricitng certain markets, no, AirTran did not want to take on Delta directly because they knew if they did, Delta would respond agressively by changing from flying small regional jets to 737's and match AirTran's low fares. Delta would count on HSV passengers responding the same way that Mobile passengers did where they said, "Gee, Delta is offering the same low fares as AirTran, why don't we fly them." They didn't realize that Delta was only matching AirTran's fares for a short time in order to put them out of business. Meanwhile, Airtran's planes out of Mobile were empty, they lost money and pulled out. Then, Delta doubled and tripled fares out of Mobile. However, Mobile passengers at least have AirTran out of Pensacola close by.

Logically, AirTran should have done better out of HSV because BWI and MCO are two of the top three markets out of HSV. However, many loyal Delta fliers chose to make connections through ATL when traveling to D.C. in order to keep their elite status with Delta's SkyMiles Program. HSV passengers are at an advantage over ATL passengers because your status in SkyMiles is based on the number of segments you fly and connecting passengers (like those from HSV, BHM, etc.) fly twice as many segments as those who live in the ATL area and just make one flight to their destination.

Another point is that Southwest plans to dismantle the AirTran hub at ATL and have more direct flights and fewer connections. They say they make more money on direct pasengers than they do connecting passengers. So, it is unlikey that Southwest would have added HSV to ATL flights.

Wichita, KS provides a contrast ot HSV in that Southwest has chosen to contiue service there. Even though Wichita is not as big a market as HSV, it does not have a large number of pasengers who are either work for the federal government or a gov. contractor These pasengers are not always concerend about getting the lowest fare because it's not going to affect their profitability as the gov. is not in competition with anyone.

Anyway, the passengers at HSV have spoken and they have said they are content to remain having the highest fares in the country. Losing AirTran/Southwest will restrict the growth of the airport.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I would agree with your argument that the reason AirTran was not successful at HSV is because there were limted connections at BWI and no connections at MCO. However, the reason AirTran chose not to offer flights to their ATL hub is not because of back room deals with the CIty of Atlanta restricitng certain markets, no, AirTran did not want to take on Delta directly because they knew if they did, Delta would respond agressively by changing from flying small regional jets to 737's and match AirTran's low fares. Delta would count on HSV passengers responding the same way that Mobile passengers did where they said, "Gee, Delta is offering the same low fares as AirTran, why don't we fly them." They didn't realize that Delta was only matching AirTran's fares for a short time in order to put them out of business. Meanwhile, Airtran's planes out of Mobile were empty, they lost money and pulled out. Then, Delta doubled and tripled fares out of Mobile. However, Mobile passengers at least have AirTran out of Pensacola close by.

Logically, AirTran should have done better out of HSV because BWI and MCO are two of the top three markets out of HSV. However, many loyal Delta fliers chose to make connections through ATL when traveling to D.C. in order to keep their elite status with Delta's SkyMiles Program. HSV passengers are at an advantage over ATL passengers because your status in SkyMiles is based on the number of segments you fly and connecting passengers (like those from HSV, BHM, etc.) fly twice as many segments as those who live in the ATL area and just make one flight to their destination.

Another point is that Southwest plans to dismantle the AirTran hub at ATL and have more direct flights and fewer connections. They say they make more money on direct pasengers than they do connecting passengers. So, it is unlikey that Southwest would have added HSV to ATL flights.

Wichita, KS provides a contrast ot HSV in that Southwest has chosen to contiue service there. Even though Wichita is not as big a market as HSV, it does not have a large number of pasengers who are either work for the federal government or a gov. contractor These pasengers are not always concerend about getting the lowest fare because it's not going to affect their profitability as the gov. is not in competition with anyone.

Anyway, the passengers at HSV have spoken and they have said they are content to remain having the highest fares in the country. Losing AirTran/Southwest will restrict the growth of the airport.
There is a deal between Delta and the city of Atlanta that does put some restrictions on Airtran. It's also one of the major reason that Southwest could not fly into Atlanta.

I use to fly Airtran a lot out of Atlanta and I ended up talking with an off-duty pilot flying home one night. Basically AirTran received some kind of tax break from the city of Atlanta in exchange for certain concessions. Delta had a few choice destinations that they didn't want Airtran flying to out of Atlanta and in exchange Delta would help fund a large portion of the new International Concourse at Hartsfield airport.

You are right about the FF program. The government contractors flying in/out of HSV don't care about the cost, only their FF points. You get more segments and miles if you connect through another airport.

Southwest out of BHM and BNA isn't that cheap. Sometimes you can catch a deal but nothing like the airfares on Airtran out of Atlanta. Example, I flew round trip to Boston this summer for $215.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
There is a deal between Delta and the city of Atlanta that does put some restrictions on Airtran. It's also one of the major reason that Southwest could not fly into Atlanta.

I use to fly Airtran a lot out of Atlanta and I ended up talking with an off-duty pilot flying home one night. Basically AirTran received some kind of tax break from the city of Atlanta in exchange for certain concessions. Delta had a few choice destinations that they didn't want Airtran flying to out of Atlanta and in exchange Delta would help fund a large portion of the new International Concourse at Hartsfield airport.

You are right about the FF program. The government contractors flying in/out of HSV don't care about the cost, only their FF points. You get more segments and miles if you connect through another airport.

Southwest out of BHM and BNA isn't that cheap. Sometimes you can catch a deal but nothing like the airfares on Airtran out of Atlanta. Example, I flew round trip to Boston this summer for $215.
Well, if that's the case then I'll be sure to only fly Delta from here on out until I get to Medallion Platinum status. If the miles never expire, then I'll rack them up forever. I figure if Delta has us captive, then it's time for me to stop complaining and start embracing that our friendly Atlanta airline just wants my money in exchange for giving me SkyMiles. Once you accept that train of thought, Delta doesn't seem bad at all. In fact, Delta is great.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Well, if that's the case then I'll be sure to only fly Delta from here on out until I get to Medallion Platinum status. If the miles never expire, then I'll rack them up forever. I figure if Delta has us captive, then it's time for me to stop complaining and start embracing that our friendly Atlanta airline just wants my money in exchange for giving me SkyMiles. Once you accept that train of thought, Delta doesn't seem bad at all. In fact, Delta is great.
I respectfully disagree. If you consider having the highest fares in the U.S. where 90% of all flights are small 50 to 70 passenger regional jets (where you can barely stand up straight) as something to brag about then I guess Delta is wonderful. The fact is that the lack of competition is what is causing there to be fewer flights out of HSV and the exorbitant fares. Delta has a monopoly and charges over $600 for a roundtrip to ATL. In 2005, I flew to Germany and back (on Delta)for that! ATL is only 150 miles away. This is ridiculous and is the result of a monopoly.

Also, Delta hasn't been that innovative in improving inflight service. AirTran was the first airline to offer XM Satellite Radio and internet service (for a fee).

Also, free airline tickets aren't worth the hype when it takes 25,000 miles to earn one ticket and you will be hard pressed to find a time you can actually get your ticket for 25,000 miles -believe me I have tried! When I looked on Delta's calendar for the dates I wanted required 50,000 miles. If I wanted to fly to Albany, GA then I could have gotten it for 25,000.

Huntsville is different from most other cities in that most of the business travelers are either working for the Federal Govt. or are a Govt. contractor. Both groupos are not concerned about getting the lowest fare. As I said in my earler post, Wichita, KS which is much smaller, is going to continue to have Southwest service. Huntsville is not a consumer savy town and that is part of the reason many businesses (like a Macy's dept. store) have not chosen to locate here. Atlanta, by contrast has more of a Clark Howard mentality (Clark is a native) where folks jump on bargains and this is the reason that ValueJet and now AirTran has been able to succeed there even in the shadow of Delta's headquarters and largest hub. Delta did everything they could to put them out of business and couldn't do it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I respectfully disagree. If you consider having the highest fares in the U.S. where 90% of all flights are small 50 to 70 passenger regional jets (where you can barely stand up straight) as something to brag about then I guess Delta is wonderful. The fact is that the lack of competition is what is causing there to be fewer flights out of HSV and the exorbitant fares. Delta has a monopoly and charges over $600 for a roundtrip to ATL. In 2005, I flew to Germany and back (on Delta)for that! ATL is only 150 miles away. This is ridiculous and is the result of a monopoly.

Also, Delta hasn't been that innovative in improving inflight service. AirTran was the first airline to offer XM Satellite Radio and internet service (for a fee).

Also, free airline tickets aren't worth the hype when it takes 25,000 miles to earn one ticket and you will be hard pressed to find a time you can actually get your ticket for 25,000 miles -believe me I have tried! When I looked on Delta's calendar for the dates I wanted required 50,000 miles. If I wanted to fly to Albany, GA then I could have gotten it for 25,000.

Huntsville is different from most other cities in that most of the business travelers are either working for the Federal Govt. or are a Govt. contractor. Both groupos are not concerned about getting the lowest fare. As I said in my earler post, Wichita, KS which is much smaller, is going to continue to have Southwest service. Huntsville is not a consumer savy town and that is part of the reason many businesses (like a Macy's dept. store) have not chosen to locate here. Atlanta, by contrast has more of a Clark Howard mentality (Clark is a native) where folks jump on bargains and this is the reason that ValueJet and now AirTran has been able to succeed there even in the shadow of Delta's headquarters and largest hub. Delta did everything they could to put them out of business and couldn't do it.
But at the end of the day, Huntsville just doesn't have it in us to support a low cost carrier. I wish it weren't that way, but the truth shows from the pullout. We need to be willing to spend on our legacy carriers because they know we can afford to. It's a dirty move, but the truth is that not everything can be cheap living in Huntsville.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 12:28 AM

AirTran

AirTran could have chosen to fly from HSV to DCA rather than BWI. In fact, the better business strategy is to fly from HSV to DCA. US Air, Delta, United, and AA fly into DCA from HSV because that's what the market demands.

BWI is a hub for AirTran but that isn't the convenient airport for people flying into DC. It's a 45 minute ride up the 2-lane BW parkway that many people don't want to drive. Also, metro doesn't go to BWI and you have to transfer over to the MARC Dulles is easier to get to from VA and DC. I've flown out of BWI on AirTran into HSV before but chose to fly "crap-tacular" US Air out of DCA when the fare price was equal.

Further, Federal employees and contractors mostly have meetings in VA. DCA and Dulles would have been the airport choice to better persuade federal flyers to switch.

AirTran only came because of the subsidy and likely was to remain only as long as the subsidy.

Until HSV has a greater number of private flyers than gov't flyers, fares will remain high and plane quality low.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast