HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:05 PM

Initial stations are:

1. Convention Center
2. Plaza Saltillo
3. MLK (way out east)
4. Lamar/Airport
5. Behind IBM
6. Northwest Park-and-Ride
7. Leander P&R

Stations mentioned sometime:

3a. Manor Road (still out in middle of nothing appealing - mentioned in streetcar study)
4a. Highland Mall (across Airport Blvd from mall entrance - mentioned in EA but unlikely)
5a. "Howard Lane" (recently roundly rejected by neighborhood folks - would most lately have been a small strip along FM1325 - mentioned in EA as farther out on Howard but unlikely in either location I think)

I would not bet on any but the first list (read more in the Environmental Assessment)

The only ones of these with ANY pedestrian potential are the Plaza Saltillo station (too bad neighbors strongly resist additional redevelopment) and the one at Airport/Lamar (neighbors starting to fight back against that area's redevelopment as well). Highland Mall station has zero potential; everything else is far away from streets and/or activity centers. Take a look at the section for "notional stations" and you can see for yourself.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:30 PM
Meh

Speaking of trains, the first one arrived yesterday in Austin.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...tro.html?imw=Y

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 7:50 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

"The Domain" != North Burnet/Gateway planning area

Phase II of the Domain != North Burnet/Gateway planning area

However, both are subsets of the greater planning area. As such, while comments about not being able to take the train directly to The Domain are entirely valid, keep in mind that a significant area to the east of Burnet is included in this plan and, as such, its development caters very well to TOD.*

* the point is, however, not lost that said "T" must be of high-quality for equally high-quality development

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 8:21 PM

The part of the planning area near the commuter rail station is unlikely to be non-trivially redeveloped within our working lifetimes, as unlike the west-of-Burnet part of the old IBM site, it's still being used very profitably by a lot of individual owners and tenants (IBM itself; a lot of smaller companies on the Metric side).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:18 PM

Friday, November 2, 2007 - 10:25 AM CDT
City approves plan for "second downtown"Austin Business Journal
Print Article Email Article Reprints RSS Feeds Add to Del.icio.us Digg This
Austin's City Council gave final approval of phase 1 of the North Burnet/Gateway master land use plan, which will create a so-called second downtown in the area around the Domain luxury shopping center by 2035.

The North Burnet/Gateway plan's vision is to ultimately create clusters of dense, mixed-use, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods in the 2,300-acre area north of U.S. 183 bounded by Walnut Creek, Metric Boulevard, Braker Lane and MoPac Expressway.

The final plan will allow developers to build denser than anywhere outside of downtown, as high as 15 stories or 180 feet, and up to 30 stories or 360 feet in areas closest to planned commuter rail stops.

Phase 1 immediately designates a zoning overlay district in the area to allow vertical mixed uses and other urban design elements, and to preclude interim development not in concert with the plan.

A draft plan of Phase 2 -- outlining ordinances implementing the plan -- is expected in six months, says Molly Scarbrough, a city senior planner. Final approval for the entire plan is expected in a year.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:46 PM

Endeavor to start building its piece of Domain by end of year
Whole Foods construction to begin early next year, add momentum to project

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Construction is to start by year's end on the first office building at Endeavor Real Estate Group's mammoth Domain project in North Austin, where 8.5 million square feet of housing, hotel rooms, offices and restaurants are planned.

Next year, the project will gain momentum when work starts on a Whole Foods store, the first 240 apartments and a 9-acre park and pavilion, Kirk Rudy, an Endeavor principal, said Tuesday.

Endeavor Real Estate Group is looking for a second department store anchor in addition to Nordstrom for its Domain project in North Austin. Work on the first building of the 8.5 million-square-foot project will start in December.

Rudy said he is in talks to bring a second department store anchor in addition to Nordstrom, along with a third hotel, to the 176-acre project.

Endeavor also is talking to several prospective tenants for the first office building. Called Domain Gateway, the 175,000-square-foot building eventually will be part of 3.5 million to 4 million square feet of space at the project near MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) and Burnet Road.

A second office building with 225,000 square feet will sit partially atop a new 70,000-square-foot store that Whole Foods Market Inc. plans to open in early 2010, Rudy said.

Endeavor's site is just east of Simon Property Group Inc.'s upscale shopping center that opened in March near MoPac and Braker Lane. Simon's project, also called the Domain, is anchored by a Macy's and Austin's first Neiman Marcus store, plus dozens of other high-end retailers and 390 luxury apartments.

Endeavor originally planned that 700,000-square-foot shopping center and brought on Simon Property as a partner.

Indianapolis-based Simon acquired Endeavor's partnership interest a month after it opened.

Rudy said sidewalks and roads will connect the two projects, so they will feel like a continuous development.

"The goal is you'll feel like you're in one community, one project," Rudy said.

Endeavor expects its mixed-use village to house more than 6,000 residents and 17,500 office workers when it is completed over the next 10 to 12 years at an estimated cost of $1.5 billion.

Plans call for 4,500 to 6,000 apartments, townhomes and condominiums, he said.

Rudy said Endeavor is not currently seeking public investment from the city or county for the project, but it hasn't made a final decision.

Meanwhile, work is under way at the site, where a former IBM Corp. building is being demolished, Rudy said.

The Whole Foods store is planned for the project's main, north entrance. Whole Foods considered a site just south of Simon's shopping center, Rudy said, but opted for Endeavor's development because of easier access and "to capitalize on the energy" of the project.

Rudy said Austin-based Whole Foods is a good fit for the Domain. The specialty grocer's "strong commitment to environmental stewardship" will blend with a project Endeavor plans to make ecologically responsible by adhering to national and local green-building standards.

Having a locally based grocer also underscores Endeavor's commitment to a strong presence of retailers and restaurants unique to Austin, he said.

Whole Foods said its store will have expanded product selections and services for a growing part of the city.

The one-story store will have two levels of underground parking, plus surface parking. Whole Foods plans to start construction in the fourth quarter of 2008 and expects an early 2010 opening, Rudy said. The store will replace Whole Foods store in the Gateway shopping center.

In the second or third quarter, Endeavor plans to start work on a 240-unit apartment building. In January 2009, Endeavor plans to begin construction on 450 apartments atop shops and restaurants in a district that could have 800,000 square feet of retail and 200,000 square feet of office space.

Anchoring the district will be a 144,000-square-foot Nordstrom store that is scheduled to open in late 2010, along with the rest of the stores, Rudy said. He said he is working on a second department store anchor.

Endeavor also plans to have three hotels, including one with 145 rooms housed in a 28-story condominium/hotel tower that would be Austin's tallest building outside downtown.

Novare and its Austin development partner, Andrews Urban, hope to break ground on the tower, Twelve Domain, in late spring.

Taylor Andrews, president of Andrews Urban, said prices for the 360 units haven't been determined. But he said they will be similar to those for a 44-story condo tower Novare/Andrews Urban is building downtown, where one-bedrooms go for $190,000 to $350,000 and two-bedrooms go for $270,000 to $550,000.

There also will be an Aloft , a boutique brand of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. The six-story Aloft is being developed as a joint venture between Open Hospitality Partners, a Dallas-based development firm, and Lodgeworks of Wichita, Kan.

Rudy said he is in talks with another chain to build a 200-room hotel but said he could not identify the brand.

Another hotel, Austin's first Westin, is planned in the next phase of Simon's shopping center, which will have a Dillard's and a Dick's Sporting Goods store.

snovak@statesman.com; 445-3856

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 5:03 AM

This is wonderful for that area. I can't wait to see if completed. Austin is long over due for a Westin. I just hope in that area, the desgin really stand out.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 7:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I would like to hear of more highrise projects other than the Twelve. One 28 story building by itself is going to seem a bit strange here in Austin, would like to see at least 2 or 3 other buildings around the same height in the area.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:29 PM
passion for patterns

Of course I would want to see more high-rises, but I like high-rises standing all alone. Reminds me of the Williams Tower in Houston.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 3:01 AM
Funky Urbanist

This is cool for Austin. How is retail downtown? I know 2nd Street is coming up but are there any more proposals?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 2:50 AM
Closed account

Talking about the uptown districts of diffrent city's the uptown district of Houston isn't north of downtown it's actually west of downtown around the Galleria like around Westheimer and Post Oak but I think it would be cool to see the north Burnet/Gateway area to turn into an uptown kinda like the area around the Galleria in Houston every time I go to Houston to visit I end up staying in uptown around the Galleria.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 1:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I havn't been up to the Domain recently, how much progress are the on the next phase?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:46 AM

I was wondering if they are still going to build the big apitheater that would be just what a new downtown would need.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:48 AM
Meh

I've merged these two threads.

The one by Boris Austin's Second Downtown and the one by ATXboom The Making of Downtown North

All the same subject. Boris' was posted first since it's the oldest.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 2:57 AM
Closed account

I was looking through the website at the buildings that were never built in Austin and there was supposed to be 2 24 story office towers up around Gateway they were gunna be called One and Two Stonebridge Gateway Tower and there was also supposed to be a 15 story Lincoln hotel too part of the Stonebridge Gateway Galleria. Does anyone know what it's talking about the Stonebridge Gateway Galleria? was Gateway supposed to be a Galleria mall like in Houston and Dallas? cause it's not called a Galleria now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:42 AM
Meh

From what I understand they were supposed to be part of the Gateway Shopping Center development on Mopac near 183 where the CompUSA is. I think they had bolder visions for the development than what happened. Besides the towers, I think they wanted more of a pedestrian oriented project than a typical strip center.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:17 PM

Speaking of Gateway shopping center. What's going to happen with that center now that some of the major stores are either going out of business, moving across mopac, or to the domain?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
Speaking of Gateway shopping center. What's going to happen with that center now that some of the major stores are either going out of business, moving across mopac, or to the domain?
I've been over there recently but didn't notice any major stores leaving. Who are they?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:17 PM
BANNED

CompUSA closed its doors nationwide and Whole Foods is moving to new digs across MoPac.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:39 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
CompUSA closed its doors nationwide and Whole Foods is moving to new digs across MoPac.
Not to mention Circuit City going across MoPac to Arbor Walk, which leaves a fairly good-sized chunk of retail directly adjacent to the MoPac-183 interchange pretty under-utilized.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin