HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 1:13 AM
Movin' on up

delete post

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:49 AM
Capitalist

City's inland port big budget winner

OTTAWA – Winnipeg’s inland port and a little known railway in northwestern Manitoba are among the biggest winners from the federal budget today.

source: Free Press

Now that the the funding is in place ... I am looking forward to seeing all the details of what is about to become reality.
The Winnipeg Inernational Airport is about to become a major economic engine in the city, the province and the nation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:45 PM
What could go wrong?

The airport is close to making a deal for a Greyhound maintenance facility - most likely located south of the new Greyhound terminal.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The airport is close to making a deal for a Greyhound maintenance facility - most likely located south of the new Greyhound terminal.
what? the curent one is just a couple blocks from me on southerland

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:35 PM
What could go wrong?

They have another one on Burnell. They would be combining both together under one roof.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 5:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

great now southerland will have a vacant building again GAH! we just got them all inue again

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 6:23 PM

Airport revenues increased by nearly 30 per cent in the fourth quarter

The Winnipeg Airports Authority saw its revenues increase by nearly 30 per cent in the fourth quarter, compared with the same period in 2007, while profits rose to $6.1 million from $5.5 million, the WAA said this morning.

Revenues totalled $21.1 million in the final three months of 2008 — an increase of 29.4% over the the previous year.

Meanwhile passenger traffic through Richardson International Airport stood at 3,570,033 in 2008, roughly the same as the all-time record set the previous year, the airports authority said in a press release.

The WAA is a non-share capital corporation responsible for the management
and operation of Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and affiliate
businesses.

All profits are reinvested by WAA back into the community, primarily through
airport development projects.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 8:20 PM
Community Guy

Moar Pictures!!!!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 12:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Moar Pictures!!!!
next week i gota met someone at the airport so i will time it so i cangrab some photos i hope not sure what time my friend gets in yet though

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:50 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Airport expansion price tag: $672M

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press

The price tag for expanding Richard­son International Airport will reach ap­proximately $672 million once the cost of financing is taken into account, but the Winnipeg Airports Authority does not expect future interest payments to pose a problem.

The cost of the airport expansion, which includes a new terminal, parkade, utility building and groundwork, was fixed at $585 million in 2006. Financing charges will add another $87 million to the project, WAA president Barry Rempel said Wednesday, as the corpora­tion reported promising financial re­sults for the final three months of 2008.

Airline passengers at Richardson International pay a $20 airport improve­ment fee that the WAA uses to pay for the expansion. Slightly more than 3.57 mil­lion passengers passed through the air­port in 2008, equalling a record set the previous year and contributing about $29 million toward the airport’s expansion.

As of this week, construction crews have completed the new parkade, most of the utility building and most of the groundwork, Rempel said.

Only about 35 per cent of the new ter­minal building is finished, but the WAA still expects to be ready for a grand opening sometime in 2010.

“We better be; I believe we are. I can only go by what the professionals are telling us,” Rempel said, referring to the contractors in charge of the ambi­tious expansion.

Once the expansion is complete, about $500 million worth of capital and finan­cing charges will remain on the WAA’s books. Airline passengers will continue to pay for the expansion for decades through future airport improvement fees, said Rempel, adding that the pros­pect of a downturn in airline travel does not threaten the project.

The WAA has witnessed more pas­senger growth in recent years than it expected, and that alone will fuel the a i r p or t ex pa n sion i n le a n ye a rs , he s a id. “We’re already ahead of the curve.” The current economic crisis has not left Richardson International unscathed, as passenger trips began to decline in May 2008 and continued to drop for the rest of the year. The near-record number of passenger trips tallied up at the end of 2008 merely reflected strong growth at the beginning of the year, Rempel said. “The economy here, while consider­ably stronger than other places, is not (immune),” he said. “The fourth quar­ter was not nearly as strong.”

Despite a drop in passenger trips, the WAA still managed to report increased revenue, earnings before charges, and net income for the final quarter of 2008. Net income for October, November and December was $6.5 million, up from $5.5 million during the same period of 2007, a WAA spokeswoman announced. New leasing revenue allowed Rich­ardson International to make more money during a quarter when many businesses around the world took a nosedive, Rempel explained.

Standard Aero is expanding its region­al jet facility north of the existing ter­minal building, Canada Post is building a $50-million mail-sorting plant to the south and Greyhound Canada is erecting a $6.3-million bus terminal to the east.

The airport is also finding ways to become more efficient through new technology, Rempel said. An automated access portal means staff do not need to guard every door in the airport, freeing up labour for other tasks. GPS technology will reduce the cost and en­vironmental impact of de-icing fluid, as only the precise sections of runway that are slippery will be doused with chemicals, Rempel said.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 5:49 AM
Capitalist

She's looking good .... I can't wait for it to open.

source: James2010

If you look closely you'll notice they have begun work on the Grand Winnipeg Hotel.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o so they have txs for noticing that newflyer

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 7:15 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I'm looking forward to the start of the construction of the Grand Winnipeg.

I figure that they will begin development this spring. The airport area will be a buzz with construction activity.

- new terminal
- new hotel (Grand Winnipeg)
- Canada Post sorting facility
- new Greyhound terminal

Its really going to look very different in the coming years.
My brother is working there now and sounds like he will be working on the greyhound terminal next.

My only problem with it the hotel should have built downtown like perhaps renovate the top floors of the bay building. There could be free shuttle service from downtown to the airport subsided by downtown biz and the hotel chains downtown. What is better than having drop by tourist enjoying what downtown has to offer and spend there. But hey this is what happens when there is no concrete downtown city planning.

personally I think it would of been if we had the hotel built downtown. Have subsidised

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 8:27 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
My brother is working there now and sounds like he will be working on the greyhound terminal next.

My only problem with it the hotel should have built downtown like perhaps renovate the top floors of the bay building. There could be free shuttle service from downtown to the airport subsided by downtown biz and the hotel chains downtown. What is better than having drop by tourist enjoying what downtown has to offer and spend there. But hey this is what happens when there is no concrete downtown city planning.

personally I think it would of been if we had the hotel built downtown. Have subsidised
This new hotel is not directed at tourists ... it is primarily a highend business hotel serving the growing businesses around the airport. A great deal of market research goes on behind the seens before a project like this takes off.

If downtown is to attract another hotel it too will have to attract more businesses as well. Simpily stated developments will follow demand .. and the demand at the airport is what makes sense. Subsities are not the answer for downtown.... a real focus on attracting business is what will draw another business hotel downtown. With that said I expect another mid-level hotel to be proposed for the downtown, as the new CMHR draws near completion. Of course it will probibly be located in easy walking distance to the Forks.

The best the dowtown Bay store can hope for is to lease a few floors to the UofW, but with all of there current projects on the go I am not sure if that will be feasible IMO.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 10:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the hotel at the airport is a nice addition imo

build where the demand is and the airport has it.... the downtown will make ome gains from the investment at the airport don't worry guys

and newflyer the downtown hotel u peak of i w 10 stories on one of the gravel lots along main still right? remembers u mentioning it last summer

Old Posted Feb 14, 2009, 11:06 PM
What could go wrong?

They are not starting The hotel yet. What they are building is a two storey link plus basement for future connection to the Grand Winnipeg Hotel. This link is going to house the amenities the Sheraton lacks. The Foundation is being constructed to hold 5 additional storey's to double the size of the Four Points Sheraton. They will most likely start the additional storey's at a later date. The Grand Winnipeg Hotel should start next year.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 6:11 PM
ILYR

It may not be direct flights to europe but ...

First Air brings back Rankin Inlet-Winnipeg flights
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 | 9:05 AM CT
CBC News

Northern airline First Air is offering passenger service again between Winnipeg and Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, about six months after it cancelled those flights.

Starting March 2, First Air will have scheduled Boeing 737 jet flights between the two locations five days a week, according to a release the Ottawa-based airline issued late Monday.

The new flights will fly directly between Winnipeg and Rankin Inlet, Mondays to Fridays.

First Air discontinued its Rankin Inlet-Winnipeg flights in September, after the Nunavut government awarded rival airlines Canadian North and Kivalliq Air with lucrative medical-travel contracts for the territory's Kivalliq region, where Rankin Inlet is located.

At the time, First Air officials said not having the medical-travel contracts made the route unprofitable. But now, they say they are listening to concerns raised by people and businesses in the region.

"We've been looking at ways how we can make this market work, given the new market realities for us," First Air spokesman Chris Ferris told CBC News late Monday.

"I think we've come up with a match of capacity to the demand. And we will have some other announcements coming up later in this week that I think will make it a bit more obvious. But the timing is right for us."

Last week, Canadian North president Tracy Medve told Kivalliq-area mayors that her airline is looking at starting its own Rankin Inlet-Winnipeg flights.

Officials from Canadian North were not available to comment late Monday.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 7:22 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I get shivers everytime I see one of those decrepit old 737's flying around...

I guess the lowering of fuel costs must have allowed them to get this route back to being remotely profitable.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:02 PM

hey 737's are THE most profitable jet to ever fly. go boeing!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 9:03 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I don't doubt it. However I can remember taking a flight in a similar model of 737 when I was in grade 6... that was over 20 years ago. Eventually, these things should be retired to a desert in the southern US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan