HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:28 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I read a report sometime last year that said 16% of the world's cranes are in Dubai. I don't know where they got their figures from.

China probably has far more, but I think Dubai as a city on its own has one of the highest concentrations of cranes in the world.
As a city, sure. But as a country, I'd guarantee that China has WAY more cranes active than the UAE does. Way more bigger cities with lots of projects than the UAE has.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 6:37 PM

^^ you are wrong about that. UAE has more cranes then china and japan. when i find my link i'll post it to show you

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Doing some googleing, I think they're called "luffing jib" cranes. Not sure if they can lift more or used for tighter spaces. They sure look beefy.

Yes, the jib cranes are used when a tower crane cannot be used, such when a building is being constructed in tight spaces where the swinging movement of the tower crane's arm is not possible.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai 1 View Post
^^ you are wrong about that. UAE has more cranes then china and japan. when i find my link i'll post it to show you
I doubt that very much...Shanghai alone has 2/5 of all the construction cranes in the entire world... or maybe it was 1/5. I read it in lonely planet. Either way, that's pretty insane

Last edited by tarapoto; Aug 5, 2007 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarapoto View Post
I doubt that very much...Shanghai alone has 2/5 of all the construction cranes in the entire world... or maybe it was 1/5. I read it in lonely planet. Either way, that's pretty insane
At one point Shanghi had 1/5 of the world's cranes. But Dubai, with all the mega projects overtook Shanghi sometime back. I have been to both cities and either way they both have tons of cranes. I will try to find the article, the numbers were in a story about the booming tower crane business.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:24 AM

Seems to me the article is referring more to crawler type cranes than tower cranes. Since it refers to 400 ton cranes, we can pretty much make that a conclusion. Tower cranes are nifty for buildings, but are pretty load restricted (some of the largest ones available are limited to 60-70 tons). I recently visited a site, they had a Manitowoc 18000 there, which was rated at 826 tons. I was also informed that it cost "6 figures a month" to keep it out there. There is a steel erection company locally, and I can tell you that the cranes are on the road just about every day of the week. I'm not in the crane business, but as far as I can tell, they certainly aren't hurting right now.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarapoto View Post
you have a link that says Shanghai alone has 2/5 of all the construction cranes

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 9:38 PM

Is Dubai Getting Over-Stretched?

Dubai's bullish economy might be creating ripples across the world, but there is a suspicion among some pundits that it might get over-stretched in the longer run, in its attempt of gaining invisibility. The policy of developing world-class infrastructure to entice investors, entrepreneurs and tourists might be proving successful as of today, but it has also resulted into soaring real estate rates and city congestion in the recent times.

This may result into some highly expensive office and living accommodations in a few years from now. Dubai hotels and Dubai apartments, a key area for the local tourism industry and economy, might get hit hard due to sharp price hikes in the future.

The desire of having the tallest and largest buildings and the fastest growing economy on its soil has led Dubai into a construction mania. Up to 25% of all construction cranes in the world are currently stationed at Dubai. At least fifty of them are employed at Burj Dubai alone to help it rise atop the Arabian sky as the world's tallest building

link
http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=08...i_commutes.htm

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 9:10 PM
Crane Goddess

Wow, just wow. Too bad I can't afford to move to Calgary..Tower cranes galore!
And yes, the Tower cranes with the angled jibs are called Luffing cranes.

Something interesting that I read somewhere- apparently the demand for cranes is so great that unscrupulous chinese counterfeiters have gotten in on the act, supplying counterfeit parts and even entire counterfeit cranes! Of course, they look just like the real thing, but they look and perform like shit, most likely being accidents waiting to happen.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 5:28 AM

And Calgary has a huge crane coming. The developers of the Bow couldn't find a crane available for rent that is large enough so they went and bought one instead for a reported $2.4 million. 900' tall, supposedly with a 30MT lift capacity. The base was recently installed and looks to be about 10'x10'. Theres a total of around 50 cranes up currently around the city.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 7:16 PM
Crane Goddess

Is that a Tower crane? If so, SWEET
Perhaps I need to come out there. Trouble is, I might miss Halifax too much. Damn being such a homebody!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 12:39 AM

We have a pretty good sized puppy at work. Obviously we don't build skyscrapers. Its a Manitowoc 2250 with the MAX-ER attachment. Its rated for 500USt. Its got 180' of main boom and a 180' of luffing jib. In the picture its picking up a 95,000lb "can" although it is 165ft from the centerpin of the crane, dropping the capacity to a mere 110,000lb. We also have a second 2250, only without the MAX-ER, so it is only good for 300USt. As well as several smaller cranes ranging from 55USt to 165USt.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Wow, just wow. Too bad I can't afford to move to Calgary..Tower cranes galore!
And yes, the Tower cranes with the angled jibs are called Luffing cranes.

Something interesting that I read somewhere- apparently the demand for cranes is so great that unscrupulous chinese counterfeiters have gotten in on the act, supplying counterfeit parts and even entire counterfeit cranes! Of course, they look just like the real thing, but they look and perform like shit, most likely being accidents waiting to happen.
PLEASE VISIT
http://www.lewis-equipment.com/products_services.php
http://www.yongmao.com.cn/english/eindex.asp

http://www.zoomlion.com/

SunCrane Flat-Top Tower Crane IS DESIGNED AND MADE IN CHINA.

CHINA HAS AT LEAST 200 TOWER CRANE MANUFACTURERS, SOME OF THE MANUFACTURERS ARE GREAT. THE TOWER CRANES FROM CHINA CAN BE FOUND AROUND THE WORLD JOBSITE.

Last edited by Tangsan; Dec 11, 2007 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 9:56 PM
BANNED

i know where i live that theres at least 3 cranes

[soory for my bad speling

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 6:11 AM

Check out this crane system. Each tower is three hundred feet tall and the highline is about 1,900 feet across and 900 feet above Black Canyon building a bridge in front of Hoover Dam.

©2008 D_Owens

Last edited by mdiederi; Feb 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 7:15 AM
Crane Goddess

Tangsun, I wasn't referring to the legitimate crane manufacturers in China. Oh gods, no! Here in our port, we have several wonderful container cranes built by Zhen Hua Port Machinery Company, and they perform magnificently.
I have no problem at all with legitimate business.

My rant was not aimed at them, but at other unscrupulous companies who counterfeit parts and equipment. That is NOT cool, and only gives good companies like the ones you posted a bad name.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:16 PM

We have a serious issue with Chinese counterfeit crosby shackles. Its not like a cheap knock-off knife or radio or something. This is a critical piece of lifting equipment with 10's or 100's of tons of weight on it. A failure is not only an annoyance, it can literally be a disaster causing millions of dollars of damage and kill people. So you'll pardon me for being skeptical of Chinese equipment, even if it is "high quality" though I've yet to see anything too high quality come from China.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
We have a serious issue with Chinese counterfeit crosby shackles. Its not like a cheap knock-off knife or radio or something. This is a critical piece of lifting equipment with 10's or 100's of tons of weight on it. A failure is not only an annoyance, it can literally be a disaster causing millions of dollars of damage and kill people. So you'll pardon me for being skeptical of Chinese equipment, even if it is "high quality" though I've yet to see anything too high quality come from China.
You'd better go to Conexpo 2008-USA or other CONEXPO show, BAUMA show in other countries to have a peak if you get chance.

It is good for you to have a look those shows if you work in the heavy duty construction equipment field.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Tangsun, I wasn't referring to the legitimate crane manufacturers in China. Oh gods, no! Here in our port, we have several wonderful container cranes built by Zhen Hua Port Machinery Company, and they perform magnificently.
I have no problem at all with legitimate business.

My rant was not aimed at them, but at other unscrupulous companies who counterfeit parts and equipment. That is NOT cool, and only gives good companies like the ones you posted a bad name.

It is ture that some heavy duty equipments from China are very good.

The buyers or contractors should use their professional skills to choose
right high quality products and reasonable price to buy.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:55 PM

Crane convention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering