HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 2:50 AM

Cool Austin | 600 W. 5th St. (Horizon Bank) | 223 Feet | 16 Floors |Complete

I'm gonna go ahead and create a thread for this project because the available info suggests a significant tower. If I get around to it, I'll move the posts from the update thread to this one.

The new news is that the site plan application went into the formal review phase on Friday. Based on how these things usually go, the formal site plan filing will be available online late this week or next week. That should give us height/floor count/square footage/uses info. Here's the site plan:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=128678

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 24, 2022 at 2:49 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:01 AM

I forgot about TOWER's recent article about this project. Instead of moving previous update thread posts here, I'll just link to his article:

https://austin.towers.net/at-fifth-a...atter-of-time/

From the article:

What is:

What could be:

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:55 AM

This one is 15-stories. Yawn, but it's better than the little bank on the site now.
It's 9 levels of office over 6 levels of parking. Let the bitching begin...

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:09 AM
Meh

Carnac the Magnificent says it will most likely be blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnac_the_Magnificent

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This one is 15-stories. Yawn, but it's better than the little bank on the site now.
It's 9 levels of office over 6 levels of parking. Let the bitching begin...
That's a better ratio than most...

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:36 PM
Member since 2001

What a waste of a site not empeaded by a CVC.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
What a waste of a site not empeaded by a CVC.
This.

Honestly -- don't they know they're leaving money on the table?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:23 PM

Wow... so much for all the noise about firms desperately wanting office space downtown.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:52 PM
Meh

I'm guessing this will have a dreaded blank wall on the west elevation since it abuts the neighboring building. It would be nice if the ABC Bank Building next door could grow up also. And for that matter, the BB&T Bank across the street.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:07 PM

It appears that the surface parking lot will disappear which is a plus. But they are not seeking a density bonus to increase the FAR - they are only using the standard CBD 8:1 FAR. Hence 15 floors. Since they don't need the density bonus, they don't have to provide public benefits like Great Streets. Although the filing does say there will be streetscape improvements. The new building will also have a drive through bank similar to the current configuration.
One thing I noticed in the filing, was that Intel owned this site from 2000 to 2004. Maybe this was once planned as the site of their failed chip design center.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 10:37 PM

I'm fine with the height of this one. It's turning what's effectively a parking lot into a 15-story tower. The parking ratio isn't absurd (405 Colorado,) and the inclusion of a drive-through bank into the tower is a nice use of space. Height-wise, it should fit in with the rest of the buildings in that area - here's an updated massing from Towers.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 11:51 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It appears that the surface parking lot will disappear which is a plus. But they are not seeking a density bonus to increase the FAR - they are only using the standard CBD 8:1 FAR. Hence 15 floors. Since they don't need the density bonus, they don't have to provide public benefits like Great Streets. Although the filing does say there will be streetscape improvements. The new building will also have a drive through bank similar to the current configuration.
One thing I noticed in the filing, was that Intel owned this site from 2000 to 2004. Maybe this was once planned as the site of their failed chip design center.
The Intel proposal was for two buildings. It was originally called Museum Park. The developer acquired all the permits and then sold the land to Intel who then planned their HQ there.

Based on the original site plan that's still online (it even includes the elevations with the heights) - the two buildings would have sat catty-corner from each other. There was the one that occupied the federal courthouse site that wasn't completed and set unfinished until what I started to call the "Intel stump" was finally demolished in 2007, and the other would have been located where the Horizon Bank is today.

I was going to upload the site plan and elevations to Facebook to post them here, but the files are too big and didn't size down nicely, so I'll just post the City of Austin links. The elevations and site plan are files 010 and 011 in one of these two links, I forget which.

Garage/building - https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=227274

Building - https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=227274

This link below also included one of the renderings for the project that I had saved years back. This also includes an aerial photo (look how bare downtown was) that includes some massings models of the project. This shows 4 blocks as being part of the project, which I didn't realize was the case. I guess the media only ran with the story after Intel bought the two lots for their HQ.

http://scherinvest.com/proj_01_ss.html
Quote:
The Museum Park project in Austin Texas was designed by Scher Investment Group’s team for a downtown property that previously housed three car dealerships and a vacant lot. The plan is for 725,000 square feet of central business district office space, 25,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, and below-grade executive parking, in addition to two parking structures, allowing enough space for 2,200 cars.

In order to begin the project, Scher Investment Group acquired the land in a competitive bid from a prominent Austin family. Our Museum Park design was intended to create a major office environment on the western edge of the central business district that would attract major employers.

To make the project an even greater benefit to the community, Scher initiated negotiations with the city to renovate a recreational park across the street from the project, as well as to work with the proposed Austin Museum of Art on an adjacent corner.

SIG successfully acquired the land and secured the necessary permits. The land and entitlements were sold to Intel Corporation 18 months after the land acquisition at a price more than double the acquisition cost.
These are the only two renderings I have saved of the project. I think this first one was the one that the original developers were working on. They don't look the same as the 2nd, which matches more closely to what is in the site plan. It's crazy to me to think that this project is now at least 20 years old.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 15, 2019 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Intel proposal was for two buildings. It was originally called Museum Park. The developer acquired all the permits and then sold the land to Intel who then planned their HQ there.

This link below also included one of the renderings for the project that I had saved years back.

http://scherinvest.com/proj_01_ss.html

These are the only two renderings I have saved of the project. I think this first one was the one that the original developers were working on. They don't look the same as the 2nd, which matches more closely to what is in the site plan. It's crazy to me to think that this project is now at least 20 years old.

Scher Investments originally planned a 30-story glass tower that would incorporate a new home for the Austin Museum of Art, thus the name. That was in 2007/2008. A local firm, Aquila Commercial, was marketing it for prelease. The original concept for Museum Tower (pre-Intel) is below and would have been located on the Courthouse block. It was 30 stories but had an extended glass 'crown' so it would look taller.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:00 AM

deleted

Last edited by freerover; May 15, 2019 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Scher Investments originally planned a 30-story glass tower that would incorporate a new home for the Austin Museum of Art, thus the name. That was in 2007/2008. A local firm, Aquila Commercial, was marketing it for prelease. The original concept for Museum Tower (pre-Intel) is below and would have been located on the Courthouse block. It was 30 stories but had an extended glass 'crown' so it would look taller.

I think you have courthouse blocks confused. The bottom rendering is for the block south of Republic Square, that was earlier owned by Austin Museum of Art (now the Contemporary) that was historically reserved for a courthouse in the Waller Plan, and for a brief time was going to be a County Courthouse.

The Intel project was going to be built on the Federal Courthouse on the San Antonio side of Republic Square. It also included three other blocks: another building on the Horizon Bank site and two stand alone parking garages. One was going to be where 360 Condos is now, and I think the other was the IBC Bank site. Actually, I think the IBC bank site might have been a building and the Horizon Bank site was a parking garage, but I'm not sure - my memory is failing in old age.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think you have courthouse blocks confused. The bottom rendering is for the block south of Republic Square, that was earlier owned by Austin Museum of Art (now the Contemporary) that was historically reserved for a courthouse in the Waller Plan, and for a brief time was going to be a County Courthouse.

The Intel project was going to be built on the Federal Courthouse on the San Antonio side of Republic Square. It also included three other blocks: another building on the Horizon Bank site and two stand alone parking garages. One was going to be where 360 Condos is now, and I think the other was the IBC Bank site. Actually, I think the IBC bank site might have been a building and the Horizon Bank site was a parking garage, but I'm not sure - my memory is failing in old age.
You are right. I am mis-remembering. I went back and looked at the site plan from the original marketing brochure, below. I mixed up the 'museum' names.

Do you remember the Intel Shell demo back in 2007, to make way for the new courthouse? Skip to the 0:50 mark to see the actual implosion.

Video Link

Back on topic....the reason this building isn't going to take advantage of height that the lack of a CVC allows is because Horizon is building it for themselves, with some lease space included. Banks are more conservative with their own money. Skyscrapers are expensive.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 9:22 PM
Meh

This article included an elevation. I had to mess around with it a bit, but I finally was able to save the largest size image they had.

This is showing 16 floors. I zoomed in on the numbers and flipped the image around to be able to read the heights, and it looks like it's 212 feet 9 inches to the highest part of the roof. So, rounding up, it should be 213 feet with 16 floors.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 18, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 10:16 PM

I like it. Even though I know it's a black-and-white elevation, it makes me wish this tower had black glass - not enough of that in Austin.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:29 PM

Its ok...there's not much you can really do with a 16 story building I suppose. The textured top with the name plate is nice. And oh lookie, a notch. Can't get enough of those....or could we???

Last edited by the Genral; May 19, 2019 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Its ok...there's much you can really do with a 16 story building I suppose. The textured top with the name plate is nice. And oh lookie, a notch. Can't get enough of those....or could we???
That’s, um, where the airstream trailer goes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin