HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 6:50 PM
Proud upstanding member

I just walked by the site this morning, and its nothing more then a fenced off maybe two foot deep hole in the ground. Not even any equipment on site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 6:58 PM

^ Yea it's been like that for probably over a month hasn't it? I can't see I've seen any activity since they did the digging of that hole.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 7:44 AM

From this week's San Francisco Business Times:

State Fund scraps new headquarters
Cost, competition sink project
Chris Rauber

The State Compensation Insurance Fund has jettisoned plans to build an 11-story headquarters in downtown San Francisco that was once expected to help revitalize the mid-Market corridor.

Officials at California's largest workers' compensation insurance company cited increasing competition in the workers' comp realm for their decision, along with escalating construction costs. However, money worries don't appear to be an immediate problem: In March, State Fund reported 2004 net income of $909 million, up from $712 million in 2003, on premium volume of $7.9 billion. Reserves jumped 22.5 percent.

State Fund originally hatched plans in late 2002 to complete a 268,000-square-foot structure by November 2005, adjacent to its current headquarters building at 1275 Market St. That deadline was later pushed back to June 2006, said Jim Zelinski, a State Fund spokesman.

The proposed new headquarters building would have housed 800 employees and cost $82 million, according to early estimates.

Some saw the planned building at 55 Ninth St. as a potential anchor of new development in the troubled mid-Market area, which has battled blight for decades. Some preliminary work was completed early in the process, but the project has been in limbo for some time.

Abrupt disclosure
State Fund officials abruptly disclosed June 15 that they'd decided not to move forward with the project, citing major changes in the California workers' compensation market, one day after a San Francisco Business Times reporter asked questions about the project's status.

When the new structure was originally envisioned, the quasi-public State Fund was tallying unprecedented growth as many private insurers bailed out of the California comp market. The resulting rapid premium growth swelled the company's ranks, creating cramped working conditions, according to State Fund.

About 1,500 employees work in its current 350,000-square-foot headquarters; 800 or so work in leased space in other San Francisco office buildings.

But recent workers' comp reforms stabilized soaring costs, inspiring many private carriers to return to the California market or increase their presence here. In response, State Fund's board of directors decided last week to abandon the building project. Construction costs, particularly the cost of steel, also drove the decision.

"This move reflects our commitment to make decisions that serve the best interests of the organization, our policyholders and their injured workers, and the California economy," Jeanne Cain, chair of State Fund's board, said in a statement. She said the fact that the new building is no longer needed underscores that a central goal of the comp reforms -- "reducing costs and bringing carriers back into the California market" -- has been successful.

Keeping options open
James Tudor, the company's acting president, called State Fund financially strong and said that to remain so "we will continue to monitor all costs and expend our capital wisely."

Rudolph & Sletten was general contractor on the canceled project. Architectural designs were drawn up two years ago by HOK Inc.'s San Francisco office. Swinerton Builders did some preliminary pre-construction work.

With regard to the 55 Ninth St. site, which State Fund has owned for more than 25 years, "we're preserving our options," including retaining city-approved entitlements on the property, spokesman Zelinski said.

Chris Rauber covers insurance for the San Francisco Business Times. Freelance writer Steve Ginsberg contributed to this story.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, another project shot down in san francisco. although it was small, it would have removed an ugly surface parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 9:10 PM

What's up with 301 Mission Street. Isn't construction supposed to begin this month??
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 9:13 PM
Proud upstanding member

I dont believe that they have demolished the buildings currently on site.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 3:39 AM
New Orleanian for Life

My companion and I were in SF recently. Chase, 101 Second and St. Regis are fabu. We happened upon the new de Young while at the Japanese Tea Garden. What's the function of the tower?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 5:54 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

San Francisco kicks ass! I love that city.

There are only 4 American cities which I would want to live in. I don’t have any order, it really all depends on what opportunities I would find, then I’d go (or stay).

My four livable, walkable, fun, kick ass night life, great skyline, dense, true “city life” cities that I know of are:

San Francisco
Chicago
New York
Philadelphia

The view of your skyline coming over the Bay Bridge is my favorite!

301 Mission Street looks like an awesome project.

Go San Francisco!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2005, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKneworleans
My companion and I were in SF recently. Chase, 101 Second and St. Regis are fabu. We happened upon the new de Young while at the Japanese Tea Garden. What's the function of the tower?
the tower is simply an observation deck. it rises roughly 14 stories above the park canopy to allow for a sweeping view of the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2005, 11:10 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Condo tower ready to soar
After four years, group to start work on 58-story project

Lizette Wilson
The San Francisco Business Times
July 29, 2005

Construction of San Francisco's tallest residential building is set to begin in September.

Towering above neighboring developments and redefining the city's skyline, the Millennium Tower at 301 Mission St. will pack 420 condos into a building extending 645 feet in the sky -- an engineering feat that also makes the building the city's fourth highest.

Demolition of vacant buildings and other site work begins Aug. 1.

New York-based Millennium Partners, which also created the nearby Four Seasons Hotel and Residences and the Metreon, is developing the $400 million project. It was designed by Handel Architects of New York and is being built by Webcor Builders of San Mateo. Financing was arranged and led by HSBC Group and Bank of America.

"It's a structural science project once you get up that high," said Sean Jeffries, a principal with Millennium Partners. "We've been working on this for four years and can't wait to get it officially commenced."

Demolition at the one-acre parcel bounded by Fremont and Beale streets begins Aug. 1, with Webcor crews clearing three vacant buildings from the site. Official groundbreaking is slated for September with construction expected to finish in late 2008 or 2009.

Shuttering earlier plans to include hotel and office space, the development will be all condos -- one-, two- and three-bedroom units ranging from 700 square feet to 6,000 square feet.

Millennium Partners is still determining the pricing as well as the availability of the units. Although Millennium intends to sell the units, principals are reserving the right to also rent some, depending on market conditions.

Indeed, the Bay Area's overheated housing market could cool considerably in the next three or four years, particularly in San Francisco.

Nearly 30,000 units are in the city's project pipeline now, with nearly two dozen multi-family residential projects already under construction.

Of those units, some 1,500 -- all located in Mission Bay and developed by the likes of Bosa, Signature Properties, Avalon Bay, Urban Housing Group and IntraCorp -- will be coming to market with similar upscale residences in 2007.

Tishman Speyer's high rise at 300 Spear Street -- a $450 million development standing as high as 450 feet -- will also be completing construction in 2007, with 656 upscale condos hitting the market in October.

Jeffries said Millennium is continuing to monitor the market's appetite and for now, thinks it will remain as voracious as it has for the past few years.

Case in point?

Centurion Real Estate Partners, which purchased the Beacon ealier this year, has sold 286 of the 304 units in the west tower since March. The group will begin marketing the 304 units in the east tower in September (renters still occupy most of them, and have been given notice), but has already sold 50.

"It appears that the more that's being constructed and the more people you bring downtown ,the more there's a demand for it," Jeffries said. "It's feeding on itself."

And with and 11-story tower and a 58-story tower, the Millennium project will be quite a mouthful.

The development will reach 645 feet at its peak, making it the fourth tallest building in the city following the Transamerica Pyramid and the Bank of America building, which reach 853 feet and 779 feet respectively. It will be the tallest building constructed since California Center, which stands at 695 feet, was completed in 1986.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2005, 5:50 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Here are some of J Church's recent photos of some SF projects under construction:

The International Hotel, 15 stories, u/c:

The St. Regis (on the right), 484ft, 42 stories, u/c:

The Millennium at 301 Mission Street, 645ft, 58 stories, clearing of site:

This is the future site of One Rincon Hill towers I and II, 550ft/465ft, 55/45 stories, approved for construction next month:

The Watermark, 220ft, 22 stories, u/c:

Avalon at Mission Bay II, 17 stories, u/c:

The University of California, San Francisco's new Mission Bay bioscience campus u/c:

UCSF Mission Bay student dormitories, 155ft, 15 stories, u/c:

The new Federal Building, 234ft, 18 stories, u/c:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2005, 12:09 PM

great construction pics

Old Posted Aug 8, 2005, 1:31 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Tony (Four One Five) found this on the SF Planning Department website, coming before the Planning Commission on September 1st:

Case No. 2004.0297EKCVX: 535 Mission Street, south side between 1st and 2nd Streets, Lots 68 and 83 in Assessor’s Block 3721 – Request under Planning Code Section 309 for Determinations of Compliance and Request for Exceptions including: (1) an exception to the rear yard requirement as permitted in Code Section 134(d); (2) an exception to ground level wind current requirements as permitted in Section 148; and (3) an exception to the requirement for independently-accessible parking spaces as permitted by Section 155(c), and for Conditional Use Authorization for dwelling unit density greater than 1 unit per 125 square feet of lot area, for the construction of a 35-story, 376-foot tall building containing 273 dwelling units, approximately 4,400 square feet of ground floor retail space, and up to 273 valet-operated parking spaces in a below-grade parking garage. Common usable open space for the dwelling units would be provided at street level, on the 2nd floor and in a rooftop deck, and most of the units would have a private balcony. The project will be the subject of a concurrent variance hearing before the Zoning Administrator because up to 141 of the 273 units would not have Code-required dwelling unit exposure. This project lies within a C-3-O (Downtown Office) District, and is within a 550-S Height and Bulk District.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 7:27 AM
Street Lurker

Anyone know what the "Harbor Village Resort" is? It sounds substantial, but I get very little when I google it...

Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 6:07 PM

it's a crazy person's crazy idea--60st towers by islais creek.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 9:47 PM

^ from what i hear, its still moving through the planning process. i wouldn't count it out yet. rincon hill obviously shows that if a developer is willing to pay off the progs, a project can be built. i bet if he creates an "affordable housing fund" or "community stabilization fund" for the central waterfront or bayview hunter's point communities, it'll pass over the objections of preservationists or the NIMBYS on Potrero Hill.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2005, 2:21 PM

This month should see the groundbreaking of One Rincon and the InterContinental right?

Do you guys know any more details?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2005, 2:37 AM

I read one newspaper that said construction on Rincon hill would begin in September. I don't know abouit intercontinental hotel. It seems that project keeps being pushed back farther and farther.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 4:03 AM

^ i can't wait to see the demolition of the bank of america clocktower and construction of one rincon hill.

as for the intercontinental, somebody needs to call the developer and find out what's up with that project. i don't want to go back to san francisco in december and see a vacant parking lot next to the moscone center again.

btw, 535 mission was approved by the planning commission thursday. another 400' skyscraper for san francisco.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2005, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive
btw, 535 mission was approved by the planning commission thursday. another 400' skyscraper for san francisco.
And a residential one at that

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2005, 6:33 AM

I remember reading in the Biz times that the developer had secured financing for the InterContinental, I wonder why they keep pushing it back. Although that same article did say it would break ground at the end of summer, so maybe . . .

The vertical additions of the Chronicle Building at Kearny and Market had me wondering. Do you think they would ever revisit the Bloomingdale's project and build to the allowed 400'. With such hard to get entitlements, and the predicted blooming of 5th, I don't know why they wouldn't convert it to housing or do a joint condo-hotel like so many others in the area. I think that will be such a hot area in a few years.

One Rincon will be exciting. And 45 Lansing has got to be on the calendar soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations