HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post

Oddly, though, earlier this month when I traveled out of ABIA it was pretty empty.
Historically, January and February have always been the two slowest months for ABIA.

In 2007, January only had 599,300 passengers, while February had 610,992 passengers. The next "slowest" month after that was September with 704,861

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 10:43 PM

Slightly different press release about the same thing plus a new NS from United.

...this is getting crazy!

www.bizjournals.com/austin

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:57 PM CST
JetBlue, United Airlines launch new nonstop routes
Austin Business Journal

JetBlue Airways and United Airlines have announced new daily nonstop services to Long Beach, Calif. and Los Angeles, respectively.

JetBlue's (NASDAQ: JBLU) service to Long Beach will begin May 1. United Airlines' (NASDAQ: UAUA) service will begin on Feb. 13.

With the new destination, Jet Blue will now offer up to five daily departures from Austin to three destinations: Long Beach, New York and Boston. JetBlue will offer fares of $99 each way to Long Beach through Feb. 22, for travel through June 14.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is now connected to all five of United Airlines' hubs in the U.S. Those hubs connect to over 200 destinations worldwide including Asia, South America, Europe and Australia.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 2:20 AM

Regarding JetBlue's recent announcement about Southern California expansion which included the new flight from Austin to Long Beach, some folks over on airliners.net noticed that out on the West Coast some of the planes doing some of the new planes were waaaay under-utilized.

Example: one plane leaves San Diego at 3:00 pm, flies to Seattle arriving at 5:45, then turns around and flies back to San Diego arriving at 9:30 pm where it remains overnight and doesn't take off again until 3:00 pm the next day and does the same two flights.

JetBlue doesn't just let planes do two flights per day and then sit on the ground for 18 hours. It was suggested that there might be more service announcements coming soon.

The rumblings are that some of these possible new service announcements will involve Austin.

Awhile ago, over on the JetBlue Forum at Flyertalk, someone started a new thread "AUS News" and posted

Quote:
Sadly I can't give any details until after the official announcement, but Dave Barger is in AUS for some interesting news tomorrow. Look for a press conference from the Moonshine Restaurant tomorrow morning.

It's gonna be great!
Five minutes later, the message was deleted, but I'm betting there will be an announcement tomorrow, so stay tuned

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:53 AM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Regarding JetBlue's recent announcement about Southern California expansion which included the new flight from Austin to Long Beach, some folks over on airliners.net noticed that out on the West Coast some of the planes doing some of the new planes were waaaay under-utilized.

Example: one plane leaves San Diego at 3:00 pm, flies to Seattle arriving at 5:45, then turns around and flies back to San Diego arriving at 9:30 pm where it remains overnight and doesn't take off again until 3:00 pm the next day and does the same two flights.

JetBlue doesn't just let planes do two flights per day and then sit on the ground for 18 hours. It was suggested that there might be more service announcements coming soon.

The rumblings are that some of these possible new service announcements will involve Austin.

Awhile ago, over on the JetBlue Forum at Flyertalk, someone started a new thread "AUS News" and posted

Five minutes later, the message was deleted, but I'm betting there will be an announcement tomorrow, so stay tuned

I read that also. Flyertalk tends to have more identifiable employees than a.net so it could happen. AUS is JetBlue's Texas focus and that should continue (though the Houston could get BOS to compliment JFK in early 09)

Ciao,
AWACS

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:11 AM

More service from jetBlue

Well, in spite of trying to keep the new service announcement secret, looks like jetBlue ... blew it.

If you go to their website and try to book the Austin to Long Beach before it starts (May 1) you get an error message:

Orlando, FL (MCO) and Santo Domingo, DR (SDQ) starts March 6, 2008.*
Orlando, FL (MCO) and Cancun, Mexico (CUN) starts March 13, 2008.*
Austin, TX (AUS) and Long Beach, CA (LGB) starts May 1, 2008.*
Austin, TX (AUS) and Orlando, FL (MCO) starts May 1, 2008.*
Austin, TX (AUS) and Ft Lauderdale, FL (FLL) starts May 1, 2008.*
Austin, TX (AUS) and San Francisco, CA (SFO) starts May 1, 2008.*

Long Beach, CA (LGB) and Seattle, WA (SEA) starts May 21, 2008.*
Long Beach, CA (LGB) and San Jose, CA (SJC) starts May 21, 2008.*
San Diego, CA (SAN) and Seattle, WA (SEA) starts May 21, 2008.*
Washington, DC/Dulles (IAD) and Burbank, CA (BUR) starts May 21, 2008.*
Burbank, CA (BUR) and Las Vegas, NV (LAS) starts May 21, 2008.*
New York, NY (JFK) and Los Angeles, CA (LAX) starts May 21, 2008.*
Boston, MA (BOS) and Los Angeles, CA (LAX) starts May 21, 2008.*

Great news for AUS!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:32 AM

Wow, that's awesome.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:57 PM

American States article on JetBlue

JetBlue adding 3 more nonstops from Austin
Carrier to serve San Francisco, two cities in Florida, will use airport as connecting hub

By Lori Hawkins
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

More nonstop flights are coming onboard for Austin, with JetBlue Airways Corp. adding three destinations beginning May 1.

The discount airline is expected to announce today that it is starting daily nonstop service to Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla., and San Francisco.

JetBlue will use 100-seat Embraer 190 planes for the flights. Introductory fares will be as low as $99 each way if booked at jetblue.com by Feb. 29 for travel before June 18.

JetBlue chief executive Dave Barger is scheduled to be in Austin this morning to meet with business leaders and to formally announce the expansion.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport will become the connecting airport for Florida travelers flying to the West Coast.

With the new flights, JetBlue will have nonstop service to six destinations, including New York, Boston and Long Beach, Calif., which was announced last week.

Austin has gained nine nonstop destinations outside of Texas in the past year, helping raise the city's profile as a travel center and making life easier for business travelers.

JetBlue will be competing with Southwest Airlines Co. on the Florida flights and with United Airlines on the San Francisco route.

Gov. Rick Perry said in a statement that JetBlue's expansion "brings significant economic investment to our state and, in turn, provides Texans with more choices when they travel."

New York-based JetBlue entered Texas two years ago. Like other discount carriers, it has sought to fill voids left by larger network carriers.

JetBlue said its Austin expansion comes in response to demand.

"Local support in Austin came faster than expected," said Marty St. George, vice president of planning. "We have a very clear brand image, and Austin has the very attractive demographics that are consistent with that — younger, college educated. It's a JetBlue kind of city."

Although the airline also has service in Houston, Austin was the best choice to be the connection point for Florida travelers heading to the West Coast, St. George said.

"We picked Austin very deliberately. We liked the data we saw," he said.

The new nonstop flights will be welcome news to business travelers, said Susan Davenport, vice president for business retention and expansion for the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce.

When the chamber met with more than 100 top regional business executives last year as part of a business retention and expansion effort, one of the top three issues they cited was the need for more nonstop flights, she said.

"Getting customers and employees in and out of Austin is important," she said. "More nonstop flights makes for better opportunities for businesses."

The decision to make Austin JetBlue's connecting hub for Florida-West Coast travelers provides "another piece of the puzzle," Davenport said.

"It will be an advantage for us as we look to garner additional connections and nonstops," she said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...20jetblue.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 2:59 PM

Great News

The JetBlue announcement is great news. This means they will have filled up their gate and will need another one if they plan on anymore expansion. Now if the American Statesman article is correct and Austin has become a 'Connecting Hub' our little friendly blue airline will need to have more aircraft on the ground at any time. That means they're gonna need more than two gates, maybe three or four. I guess they could sub-lease gate space from other tenants or are they gonna take the east expansion when it's completed, but that wont be finished out for five years. I wonder if they could justify the start of the real south terminal.

This could be the peak announcement in what has been a very good year for ABIA but wait for one more. There will be another airline starting service in Austin at the main terminal and one more at the south terminal....just wait the press releases will be here before you know it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:09 PM

I don't think the East Concourse expansion will take five years. It only took that long to build the whole terminal when ABIA was under construction.

I do think this is all we'll see from jetBlue for now. They only have 1 gate (Gate 19) and most of the other current gates are full. If Expressjet ends its' branded operations as some have speculated, JetBlue might be able to get their gate

My guess for the new airline at the temporary terminal would be Skybus, but I have no idea who the other one that would be flying out of the main terminal would be.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:03 PM

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...2/nonstop.html

Pretty cool interactive map of all the ABIA destinations

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

More nonstop flights are coming onboard for Austin, with JetBlue Airways Corp. adding three destinations beginning May 1. Austin-Bergstrom International Airport will become the connecting airport for JetBlue's Florida travelers flying to the West Coast. Austin has gained nine nonstop destinations outside of Texas in the past year, helping raise the city's profile as a travel center and

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
This could be the peak announcement in what has been a very good year for ABIA but wait for one more. There will be another airline starting service in Austin at the main terminal and one more at the south terminal....just wait the press releases will be here before you know it.
I'm guessing either AirTran or Virgin for the main terminal and of course Skybus for the south terminal.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

it should't be long before we do hear plans of expansion of ABIA. I would assume they would start construction before this year ends.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:58 PM

^^^ I believe I read a month or 2 ago that council approved the release of funds to begin the design work for the expansion... I imagine ground breaks this year as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 1:53 AM
Meh

Man, don't look now but we've got a snowball rolling.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/business/co...austininc.html

JetBlue weighing more Austin flights

JetBlue considering more nonstops from Austin

JetBlue made a splash in Austin this week when it announced three more nonstop flights, bringing its total from Austin to six.

More could be coming: Chief executive Dave Barger, who flew in personally to make the announcement, said JetBlue would consider more routes out of Austin. One possibility: Dulles International Airport outside of Washington.

"We're working on it," Barger told business leaders at a breakfast meeting.

An airline representative said JetBlue will first want to see well how the new Florida and West Coast routes do before adding more. Those flights start in May.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 3:13 AM

This is getting insane!

Funny thing is, I posted this suggestion earlier today over at FlyerTalk.com in the Jet Blue forum.

Once JetBlue starts it's already announced new flights in May, there will be a period of about 4 hours 15 minutes between the time their first flight leaves at 7:00 am and their next flight arrives at 11:15 when there's no aircraft scheduled to be at their gate. There's another period of time of about 4 hours and 24 minutes between 6:55 pm when the flight to San Francisco leaves and 11:19 pm when the last flight from JFK arrives. Based on that, here was my suggestion I posted on FlyerTalk:

Quote:
Based on O&D statistics for 2Q 2007, the 10th and 11th most popular destinations out of AUS are

10) Washington DC - (IAD/DCA)

WAS - 1316 miles - 476 daily passengers - $269.25 avg. fare - 20.5 cents per mile

11) Baltimore

BWI - 1342 miles - 446 daily passengers - $182.03 avg. fare - 13.6 cents per mile

I remember reading awhile back that when jetBlue moved from it's old gates at IAD to the new gates in the expanded Concourse B, they gained 1 additional gate. Currently United Express is the only carrier serving AUS-IAD nonstop.

They offer two daily roundtrips.

If you go here:

http://timetables.oag.com/aus/

and enter IAD, it looks like a third daily United Express flight begins April 19. Service will be on E70 jet for the new morning departure, while the other two are served with CR7. There is no low-fare nonstop competition in this market.

WN offers two daily nonstop between AUS & BWI.

JetBlue keeps tweaking it's schedule out of AUS, but right now it looks like once they add all the new service, there will be a four-hour 15 minute period of time in the morning between 07:00 and 11:15 when there's no aircraft scheduled to be at the gate and another 4 hour and 24 minute period of time in the evening between 18:55 and 23:19 when there's no aircraft scheduled to be at the gate.

Jetblue could offer a morning departure to IAD between 08:00 and 10:30 and an evening arrival from IAD between 20:00 and 22:00.

AUS is a high-tech city and IAD is pretty much next door to the Dulles Technology Corridor.

The AUS-IAD could have a BOS tag and allow B6 to offer another frequency to AUS folks flying to BOS.

The only potential problem with this idea is that I've heard that there is currently little to no RON space at AUS. Not sure if that's true or not.
RON space is Remain Overnight Space. It's "extra parking" on the tarmac. Jet Blue would have one plane at their gate overnight, and they could have another plane in the RON space. Once the flight at the gate leaves in the morning, the plane in the RON space could be towed to the gate, loaded up and then it could depart in plenty of time before the first arriving flight at 11:15 am.

They could schedule an arrival that gets in between 8:00 pm and approximately 10:30 pm. Once that plane has unloaded, it could be towed to the RON space, and then when the last flight of the evening arrives at 11:19 pm, it could unload and then spend the night at the gate and the next day, the aircraft at the gate is the first scheduled flight to depart.

The only problem right now -if what I have been reading is correct - is that there is no more available RON Space at ABIA.

But - if you look at this aerial of AUS notice that there's a rectangular grassy area south of the West Concourse and north of the east-west taxiway. The master plan calls for at least part of that area to be paved over for additional RON space. Not sure when the city is going to get around to actually paving it, though.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 3:36 AM
Meh

I wonder if this presidential debate has anything to do with it. I mean, Austin was in the national spotlight this evening. Pretty cool, and I think it brought a lot of attention and awareness to the city.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't think it was just the debate wich has put a huge spotlight worldwide on Austin, rather this has been comming for awhile as the city has gained over the last several years alot more recognition. This will definatly boost the city no doubt but this has been something the city has been gaining as far as recognition goes for awhile now and will only enhance what has already started.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:29 AM

I don't really think the presidential debate has anything to do with it, although it is nice to get the national exposure. I think it's more due to the fact that Austin has gotten a lot of positive press in the last year or so and we're a thriving, growing city. Our skyline - with all it's cranes is certainly a symbol of that growth.

In the case of JetBlue considering Austin - Washington Dulles flights, I think it has to do with the fact that there are a lot of daily travelers in that city-pair. Also, JetBlue has a little more breathing room at Dulles since they recently picked up an extra gate there. United Express is the only other carrier that offers nonstop service to Dulles and that's with regional jets. Plus, United (and United Express) is a legacy carrier, while JetBlue is a low-fare carrier. JetBlue would much rather compete with a legacy carrier than another low-fare carrier (like Southwest.)

With the new service already announced, the only two routes where JetBlue is competing head to head with Southwest to the same airports are the Austin - Fort Lauderdale flight and the Austin - Orlando flight. JetBlue's nonstop flights from Austin to the west coast are to Long Beach and San Francisco, while Southwest's nonstop flights to the West Coast are to San Diego, Los Angeles, and Oakland. And JetBlue flies to JFK and Boston, 2 cities not served by Southwest.

Cities (and airports) that thrive are generally those which have a healthy percentage of low-fare seats into/out of their airport. AUS is lucky in that respect, because Southwest and Frontier accounted for 36.6% of total traffic in 2005, and Southwest, Frontier and JetBlue accounted for 40.0% of total traffic in 2006, and 38.9% in 2007.

Total passenger traffic at AUS in 2005 was up 6.0% over 2004. Total passenger traffic at AUS in 2006 was up 7.5% over 2005. Total passenger traffic at AUS in 2007 was up 7.5% over 2006.

The last month where AUS had fewer travelers than the same month in the preceding year was January 2004. Since then, AUS has seen 47 months of consecutive year-over-year growth. Additional flights from low-fare carriers like JetBlue, Frontier, Viva Aerobus - and Southwest - should they choose to add additional service at AUS, should help maintain that growth.

Airlines like to expand in cities that are growing and thriving, and Austin certainly is, partly because we have a high percentage of low-fare seats in and out of Austin.

Southwest is Austin's biggest carrier and their market share here in Austin is about 34%, American's is about 26%, and Continental's is about 11%. No one airline has a monopoly at AUS (like American at DFW - who controls about 85% of all the traffic there.) Unlike DFW, we have healthy competition here, and that helps us, too.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Feb 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: corrected to reflect that Jetblue competes with Southwest on Austin-Orlando rather than Austin-Tampa

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 6:18 PM

Wow... just amazing growth... even at 6-7% growth we did not see this many new flights added. Rumor has it another airline is on its way as well.

At 10% growth we will push past 10 million passengers in 2009 if not 2008.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:03 PM

CENTRAL TEXAS DIGEST

Maudie's joins Austin airport restaurant lineup
COMPILED FROM STAFF REPORTS

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

AIRPORT

Maudie's fare to feed fliers at Austin-Bergstrom

Maudie's, a longtime Austin Tex-Mex restaurant, is opening a new location at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport this spring.

The airport will be the sixth location for Maudie's, which began as a home-cooking cafe in the 1950s. Owner Joe Draker switched the menu to Tex-Mex when he bought the restaurant in 1992.

Maudie's joins other popular Austin restaurants at the airport, including Mangia Pizza, Schlotzsky's and the Salt Lick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin