HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 1:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Something that really aggravates me is that neither westjet nor air canada have bothered to upgrade Winnipeg's domestic or international routes substantially in the last year, while other Canadian cities are increasing their route capacities by leapes and bounds. For all that is being said about the increase in passenger traffic at Wpg. Int., I sure don't see any real proof of it.
I agree with you, but keep in mind that the current airport terminal is way beyond capacity during peak times... hense the new terminal building.

Once that new terminal building is complete .. I expect you'll be very pleased at the expanded air services offered to Winnipegers.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 12:20 AM
iron ring

Edmonton is probably the poster-child for rapid improvements in its route network, but the '90's were fairly grim for Edmonton airport - part of what we're seeing is a snowball effect of things changing in the right direction, and YEG finally has momentum on its side.

YWG has maintained its core domestic network, and while we haven't seen much in the way of new routes recently, there's been positive changes in flight frequencies and aircraft size. YEG-YWG is probably one of the best examples - about 5 years ago we had 2 daily BAe146's, a total of about 160 seats. This summer we have 3 737's and 4 CRJ's, totalling about 550-600 seats.

The larger terminal with better amenities is key to building a better route network - as NewFlyer is saying, good departure times are needed to get people to choose nonstop flights rather than connecting flights that could otherwise be more conveniently scheduled. And good amenities to attract connecting passengers.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 4:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yep

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 11:51 PM
iron ring

June '07 numbers are now posted - 308,026 passengers, up 6.23% from last June.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Airport's business traffic is flying high

Thu Jul 26 2007

By Geoff Kirbyson

BARRY REMPEL may be wishing the Winnipeg Airports Authority had bought a pre-fab terminal building to handle what has become Canada's second-fastest growing business travel market.
Passenger traffic at Richardson International Airport was 1.74 million for the six months ending June 30 -- a 6.9 per cent increase over the same period last year, according to figures released Wednesday by the WAA.

Rempel, president and CEO of the WAA, said that's more than double what was forecast and it's putting additional strain on a facility that is bursting at the seams.

"If the growth is sustained much longer -- it's been four years now -- it probably means around the time the new terminal building opens (in 2009 or 2010) that we'd be looking to move our 2020 (expansion) plan forward to 2015," he said Wednesday.

Rempel said the growth is largely being driven by business travellers.

According to the recent Ipsos Reid Canadian Business Traveller Study, Winnipeg has the second-fastest growing business travel market in Canada at 1.5 per cent, trailing only Calgary at 4.9 per cent.
Other markets, including Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver were in negative territory.

"It's a pretty exciting time to be in Manitoba. Something is going right in your community when passenger growth is at the volumes we're seeing," he said.

"What appears to be happening is virtually all sectors of our economy are clicking on all cylinders."

He said the $585-million terminal project has pre-planned expansions after it's open to accommodate anticipated growth in traffic levels.

Rempel said the WAA has been working with carriers as they've added capacity to ensure new flights are staggered throughout the day.

Rempel said the increased traffic levels are coming at a key stage in the construction of the new terminal building -- foundations are being framed and the excavation of the basement is 95 per cent complete.

The WAA also reported net income for the three months ending June 30 was $6.5 million, up from $4.4 million a year ago.

Consolidated revenues for the quarter were $15.9 million, an increase of 11.4 per cent from the same period last year. geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Efforts to spare terminal from bulldozer fall short

Thu Jul 26 2007

By Geoff Kirbyson

THE businessman hoping to redevelop the terminal building at Richardson International Airport is talking with Red River College about moving its aviation and aerospace courses there.
It's part of a last-ditch effort that Arni Thorsteinson, president of Shelter Canadian Properties, has mounted to try to save the building that some consider a Winnipeg architectural gem.

However, the president and CEO of Winnipeg Airports Authority said the building will be demolished unless somebody comes up with a better money-making plan for the 400,000-square-foot structure. And, Barry Rempel said nothing he has heard thus far fits the bill.

Shelter's pitch includes a $10-million to $15-million capital expenditure to create a new home for the Western Canadian Aviation Museum, as well as office and retail space.

"(Shelter's proposal) didn't provide us with the return we're after. It wasn't a sustainable plan in our estimation," Rempel said, declining to cite specific shortcomings.

"We could raze the building and put in aircraft parking and have a better return than some of the proposals that came in."
Thorsteinson said the terminal building would be an ideal site for Red River.

"(Red River's) existing facility for aircraft maintenance training is in the old Winnport hangar and that facility is inadequate for their total requirements over the next 10 years," he said.

Twylla Krueger, director of college relations at Red River, confirmed the school has been approached by Thorsteinson and has had discussions regarding a possible relocation of its aviation and aerospace programming to the nearly half-century-old terminal building.

"It's extremely preliminary," she said. "It's a constant process for us. CentreVenture has approached us about the possibility of moving into some other buildings downtown."

Rempel said there are a number of things he would like to accommodate to make the property a more effective part of the airport campus, such as expanding hotels and building an intermodal facility.

He said it's a question of finding the best use for the property, regardless of whether it makes use of the terminal building.

"Our lease requires highest and best use," Rempel said.

Thorsteinson said bulldozing the building would be a "grave error." "It's an architectural icon. There's no need to demolish it. They have hundreds of acres of undeveloped land at the airport," he said.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 9:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Wow...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Thorsteinson said bulldozing the building would be a "grave error." "It's an architectural icon. There's no need to demolish it. They have hundreds of acres of undeveloped land at the airport," he said.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca
Some organized group of urbanites ought to get out there and support Thorsteinson.

Who gave these clowns the right to go around knocking down buildings for no real reason, in addition to gouging everyone for $15 or $20 every time they pass through the airport that our taxes paid for? It certainly sounds to me that their minds are made up.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 11:03 PM
ABOVE people like you

Information seems inaccurate

Does anyone have any other info on this regarding numbers for other cities. I think the reference that Winnipeg is second to Calgary is not accurate. I believe growth numbers from Edmonton far surpass this. I'd like to see some real comparisons.

Thu Jul 26 2007

By Geoff Kirbyson

BARRY REMPEL may be wishing the Winnipeg Airports Authority had bought a pre-fab terminal building to handle what has become Canada's second-fastest growing business travel market.
Passenger traffic at Richardson International Airport was 1.74 million for the six months ending June 30 -- a 6.9 per cent increase over the same period last year, according to figures released Wednesday by the WAA.

Rempel, president and CEO of the WAA, said that's more than double what was forecast and it's putting additional strain on a facility that is bursting at the seams.

"If the growth is sustained much longer -- it's been four years now -- it probably means around the time the new terminal building opens (in 2009 or 2010) that we'd be looking to move our 2020 (expansion) plan forward to 2015," he said Wednesday.

Rempel said the growth is largely being driven by business travellers.

According to the recent Ipsos Reid Canadian Business Traveller Study, Winnipeg has the second-fastest growing business travel market in Canada at 1.5 per cent, trailing only Calgary at 4.9 per cent.
Other markets, including Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver were in negative territory.

"It's a pretty exciting time to be in Manitoba. Something is going right in your community when passenger growth is at the volumes we're seeing," he said.

"What appears to be happening is virtually all sectors of our economy are clicking on all cylinders."

He said the $585-million terminal project has pre-planned expansions after it's open to accommodate anticipated growth in traffic levels.

Rempel said the WAA has been working with carriers as they've added capacity to ensure new flights are staggered throughout the day.

Rempel said the increased traffic levels are coming at a key stage in the construction of the new terminal building -- foundations are being framed and the excavation of the basement is 95 per cent complete.

The WAA also reported net income for the three months ending June 30 was $6.5 million, up from $4.4 million a year ago.

Consolidated revenues for the quarter were $15.9 million, an increase of 11.4 per cent from the same period last year. geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 12:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we should start a thread in the candian sectiuon for all the airports across canada...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:14 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
Does anyone have any other info on this regarding numbers for other cities. I think the reference that Winnipeg is second to Calgary is not accurate. I believe growth numbers from Edmonton far surpass this. I'd like to see some real comparisons.
There's a caveat in there that says "business travel" - which is not the same as overall traffic, it's only a portion of that.

Overall passenger count increases I believe YEG is #1, as you are saying. I would actually argue that the overall passenger count is probably the more important thing to airport authorities and such, as their revenues are more a function of airport improvement fees and landing fees. Airlines, on the other hand, are probably as swayed by that biz travel numbers in the hopes of higher yields (ie- more revenue per seat mile than leisure travellers usually spend).

Bottom line for YWG is that higher passenger counts help contribute towards the critical mass needed for further improving the route network. While we are no doubt a few years behind YEG in terms of traffic, and unlikely to see as much of a surge in traffic as YEG is currently in the middle of, I think the future looks pretty bright for YWG.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 12:52 AM
Movin' on up

So, Westjet announces more international destinations, this time non-stop to Mexico cities, but no mention that any will be non-stop from Winnipeg. Right, because no one goes on winter holidays to Mexico from Winnipeg and area Of course there is a demand, but once again Winnipeg is getting the short end of the stick. Fuck, I can't wait for the new terminal to allow for an increase in passenger capacity so that the rest of this fucking ungrateful and ignorant country can recognize that this city isn't some backwater hickville.

I think Manitoba should separate from Canada

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 1:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
So, Westjet announces more international destinations, this time non-stop to Mexico cities, but no mention that any will be non-stop from Winnipeg. Right, because no one goes on winter holidays to Mexico from Winnipeg and area Of course there is a demand, but once again Winnipeg is getting the short end of the stick. Fuck, I can't wait for the new terminal to allow for an increase in passenger capacity so that the rest of this fucking ungrateful and ignorant country can recognize that this city isn't some backwater hickville.

I think Manitoba should separate from Canada
Its already been done.... the Red River Rebelion,, Louis Reil and such?

For a very brief period of time the Red River considered itself independant... until the Canadian military put an end to that.

The Province of Manitoba was born out of the need to appease the Red River population.

Sure Quebec talks a good game.. but Manitoba is the real dael.

I do agree with you Winnipeg soarly needs that new terminal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Its already been done.... the Red River Rebelion,, Louis Reil and such?

For a very brief period of time the Red River considered itself independant... until the Canadian military put an end to that.

The Province of Manitoba was born out of the need to appease the Red River population.

Sure Quebec talks a good game.. but Manitoba is the real dael.

I do agree with you Winnipeg soarly needs that new terminal.
Of course I was being cheeky

But I am sick and tired of this bloody country downplaying the city and the province; very sick of it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 2:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

But I am sick and tired of this bloody country downplaying the city and the province; very sick of it.
I am with you 100%...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 7:18 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

As much as I agree with you 100%, the only way to make their heads turn to us is when we finish the terminal. It's only a matter of time...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 1:22 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
As much as I agree with you 100%, the only way to make their heads turn to us is when we finish the terminal. It's only a matter of time...
It will easily be the nicest teriminal building in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 2:30 PM
ABOVE people like you

Passenger Counts

Passenger Numbers for Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is the seventh busiest airport in Canada by passenger traffic, serving just under 3.4 million passengers in 2006.

Edmonton International Airport is experiencing the fastest rate of growth in passenger traffic of any major airport in the nation and is one of Canada's busiest airports by passenger traffic. It served over 5.2 million passengers in 2006.

Calgary International Airport is one of Canada's busiest airports by passenger traffic, serving 11.27 million passengers in 2006.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:45 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is the seventh busiest airport in Canada by passenger traffic, serving just under 3.4 million passengers in 2006.

Edmonton International Airport is experiencing the fastest rate of growth in passenger traffic of any major airport in the nation and is one of Canada's busiest airports by passenger traffic. It served over 5.2 million passengers in 2006.

Calgary International Airport is one of Canada's busiest airports by passenger traffic, serving 11.27 million passengers in 2006.
You from Alberta?

Just curious

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

It doesn't hurt that Calgary is the primary West Jet hub for western Canada .. but that number includes people transfering to differnet flights. Its a little skewed .. because those pasengers are counted twice. Once debarking .. and again taking the conecting flight. If all connecting flight numbers were divided in half ... the reality would be much less an 11 million passenegrs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan