HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 11:07 PM

Looks like this thing is ready to start construction any day and be complete this time next year, if I read this right and council approved this spending increase for their share of the funding plan.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...09070713.1.pdf

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:00 PM

From NS Gov't Website:

Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
July 29, 2009 1:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work has begun on a $21.6-million project to improve access on one of Nova Scotia's busiest roads.

The contract to build an interchange on Highway 102 to connect with Larry Uteck Boulevard between Bedford and Halifax was awarded to Dexter Construction Co. Ltd.

"When completed, this interchange will lessen the traffic overload on the Bedford Highway and, at the same time, open up some previously inaccessible land for development," said Frank Corbett, acting Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. "The significant benefits of this construction wouldn't have been possible without the co-operation of all three levels of government."

Scheduled to take a year to complete, the project involves building of an overpass and ramps with roundabouts. During the first few months of construction Highway 102 traffic may be stopped for a maximum of 20 minutes once a day during off-peak driving times to allow blasting.

An aerial view of the construction area and other details are available at http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/highways/LarryUteckBlvd.asp.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:18 PM

^Good to hear.

Ideally I'd like to see the Bi-Hi widen to six thru-lanes from Lacewood to Glendale with future phases for Bayers Rd and out to the 118. Hopefully they leave space on the overpass for this to happen someday.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^Good to hear.

Ideally I'd like to see the Bi-Hi widen to six thru-lanes from Lacewood to Glendale with future phases for Bayers Rd and out to the 118. Hopefully they leave space on the overpass for this to happen someday.
I agree and I believe that this project includes widening to six lanes from this new interchange to the Kearney lake exit which is approx. 2 km. It wouldn't take a lot of construction to get the rest done since all the overpasses from the 101 to the 103 were built to accommodate six lanes. Also there is at least 4km of three lane wide portions that already exist on this section (i.e. next to Bayers lake park) which would also help keep costs down.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I agree and I believe that this project includes widening to six lanes from this new interchange to the Kearney lake exit which is approx. 2 km. It wouldn't take a lot of construction to get the rest done since all the overpasses from the 101 to the 103 were built to accommodate six lanes. Also there is at least 4km of three lane wide portions that already exist on this section (i.e. next to Bayers lake park) which would also help keep costs down.
Well yes but I think you misread my post a bit incorrectly.

What I wanted is a proper six lane expressway from Lacewood to Glendale with additional lanes for merging. So for sections like Lacewood to 103 it would actually be eight lanes (because the merge lanes go from on exit to another). Of course ideally all the interchanges would be connected with the merge lanes (like Lacewood to 103) but for longer sections (ie HPR to 101) it wouldn't be easy to accomodate.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:29 PM

And so another long-term traffic snarl for Bedford begins;

Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
August 6, 2009 2:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY: Highway 102

On Friday, Aug. 7, Highway 102 (Bicentennial Highway) will be closed for 20 minutes, between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., for blasting at the Larry Uteck Interchange.

Drivers should expect delays or use alternate routes, which will be indicated by electronic signs

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 10:03 PM

I was by this area today and they had some wood framing up for what will be the overpass on the eastern side.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 11:44 PM

I've been working on-site out here and it is quite impressive how fast things are coming together. The amount of equipment Dexter Construction has at their disposal is mind boggling. Its actually the west side abutments that have been formed up and they did the first concrete pour Friday. Right now they are working on building up the on/off ramps and installing water, sanitary, storm and gas lines on either side of the highway. The plan is to have both on/off ramps completed by December 1, so the highway can be re-routed up these so the 102 can be dug up for infrastructure and construction of the overpass piers. The roundabouts will not be installed until after the overpass is built, so the highway traffic won't have to navigate these in the detour.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 1:49 AM

they have a lot of space past the interchange outbound on either side cleared. I think they might be widening it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordite_93 View Post
they have a lot of space past the interchange outbound on either side cleared. I think they might be widening it.
They are widening it to 6 lanes from the Kearney lake road interchange to the new Larry Uteck Interchange. The paving started today. It even looks like they have cleared extra width so that there will be room for off ramps (8-lane portions) when the entire bi-hi gets upgraded to 6 thru-lanes in the future.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 12:20 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Too me this project seems to be happening very quickly. I drove by today and they have paved a ton since the last time I went by. The overpass supports are looking good. These guys are good.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Too me this project seems to be happening very quickly. I drove by today and they have paved a ton since the last time I went by. The overpass supports are looking good. These guys are good.
Dexter's Construction has the nickname in the construction business as "The Red Army". When the get a job (as they do probably 90% of the time) they invade with a pile of machinery and a ton of workers. The resources they have at their disposal is truly impressive. They currently have this, the 101 interchange, Fairview overpass, Freshwater Brook, Bedford South, West Bedford and a few other smaller projects all going on at once, not to mention work beyond HRM. Needless to say there is no one else close to this size.

Anyways, back to the topic, last I had heard, they were aiming to have the the highway re-routed up the on ramps by today, I drove by today and they aren't too far off.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 3:27 AM

Trying to come up with all the traffic circles in NS. Here's my list so far.

Margeson Dr, Sackville (u/c)
Alexandra St, Sydney (u/c)
Armdale Roundabout, Halifax
Micmac Rotary (demolished)
Avonport @ Highway 101
Port Hastings (Canso Causeway)
Pictou (Highway 106)
Larry Uteck Blvd (x3) (u/c)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Trying to come up with all the traffic circles in NS. Here's my list so far.

Margeson Dr, Sackville (u/c)
Alexandra St, Sydney (u/c)
Armdale Roundabout, Halifax
Micmac Rotary (demolished)
Avonport @ Highway 101
Port Hastings (Canso Causeway)
Pictou (Highway 106)
Larry Uteck Blvd (x3) (u/c)
I think Windsor now has one at Exit 5A.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Is the Windsor one built already?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is the Windsor one built already?
According to the Department of Transportation and Infastructure Renewal the roundabout is being built right now.

Oh and just to specify its on Wentworth Road (the one with the hospital).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 10:21 PM

Where on Wentworth?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 8:39 PM

According to the government website the southbound detour is now in effect.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I think Windsor now has one at Exit 5A.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Where on Wentworth?
I just pulled up this PDF off Google - right at the 101.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I just pulled up this PDF off Google - right at the 101.
Wow...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure