HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:38 PM
Mooderator

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Any other notable abandoned locations downtown that anyone can think of?

In Aylmer they just opened a brand new Tim Hortons at the corner of Vanier and Lucerne, right next door to a decrepit boarded up house... actually I think the house has some historical significance, not sure.

edit - this place..

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...268.96,,0,4.67

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Any other notable abandoned locations downtown that anyone can think of?

In Aylmer they just opened a brand new Tim Hortons at the corner of Vanier and Lucerne, right next door to a decrepit boarded up house... actually I think the house has some historical significance, not sure.

edit - this place..

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...268.96,,0,4.67
Didn't that Tim Horton's property used to be an Esso station. Have you ever been to the french restaurant on the upper floor of the building on the SE corner of that intersection...strange location.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 8:51 PM

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_jr View Post
If you look along the side of that house in Street View you can see a site plan application notice...I think it is for a 4 storey 18 unit building...not sure if it went anywhere...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:01 PM

Wow...right across the street from Alanis Morissette's condo...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:11 PM

If that scares you, it's a good thing you didn't come to Detroit with me last week.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
If that scares you, it's a good thing you didn't come to Detroit with me last week.
any photos?...Detroit is a city that fascinates me....I believe one of its prime reasons for being is to make Windsor look good.

Seriously, the contrast from the City of Detroit to Dearborn and from the City of Detroit to one of those Grosse Pointe suburbs is astounding and depressing at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
any photos?...Detroit is a city that fascinates me....I believe one of its prime reasons for being is to make Windsor look good.
Photos here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187665

Detroit is extremely fascinating, it was once known as the Paris of the West, and was one of the largest, richest cities in the US.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Oh I know... luckily there's a ton of websites and content on all the abandoned gold in Detroit. Michigan and Ohio must have some of the best urban exploration communities. I love your picture of the GM building - great composition.

Here's another boarded up house a block from my place.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...07.05,,1,-6.46

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Right on the south side of Allumettières there is a boarded up house (kitty corner to the Ultramar). I think it was a crack house that was raided. St-Rédempteur has quite a few of them.

That Portuguese grocery store on Frontenac, west of Eddy, has been boarded up for a while now too..

How about this place on boul. Fournier? It's been vacant as long as I've lived here :

Ah dammit, where the hell am I going to go now to get my new computer?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:40 PM
Mooderator

^ since I took that pic, it was re-occupied by some other business and abandoned again! The location must really stink.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:46 PM
Awesome!

Sounds like the large duplex or triplex at the corner of Eddy and des Allumettieres (facing Eddy street) is abandonned, most/all windows are boarded and there are also Havenlea and Findlay Creek village signs on the front. It is already a big eyesore. Many commuters from the Chaudiere Bridge have a very clear view of this eyesore.

(Note: The following Could have put in the desing sub-section but considering it is related to abandonned buildings/lots I will put it here). In fact, Eddy Street is back to a disaster area, not that it really much improved with the construction but the two vacant lots after the buildings were burnt down will likely stay like that for a while, so after the snow melt, it will probably be full of weeds. And there neighbors only doing patchwork repairs. One particular tedious building is between Garneau and Charlevoix beside a former burnt out store. They Only put siding on the area that was damaged by the fire leaving the rest as it is - kinda like the one building at Bank and Florence I discussed in the general updates thread - and it is so ugly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:45 PM

back in the mid nineties when i was in bell high school i used to explore this massive abandoned warehouse in bell's corners quite often. it was pretty wild....and looks untouched in the 16 years since i was last there. very few people even know this place exists.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rjn...43912697&sty=b

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
back in the mid nineties when i was in bell high school i used to explore this massive abandoned warehouse in bell's corners quite often. it was pretty wild....and looks untouched in the 16 years since i was last there. very few people even know this place exists.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rjn...43912697&sty=b
Great link...I had no idea that existed. How do you get to it....via the parking lot of Al's Steak House? Looking at that aerial I had no idea that the trailer park extended that far north. That warehouse must be pretty visible from GDC to the east.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Great link...I had no idea that existed. How do you get to it....via the parking lot of Al's Steak House? Looking at that aerial I had no idea that the trailer park extended that far north. That warehouse must be pretty visible from GDC to the east.
That's not abandoned, it's used for storage. (My brother stores his car there for the winter).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:56 PM

it was certainly abandoned in the mid-nineties! i always got there by walking up the access lane on the east side of the trailer park.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
it was certainly abandoned in the mid-nineties! i always got there by walking up the access lane on the east side of the trailer park.
Based on a non-scientific windshield survey while travelling on Robertson at 70 km/h yesterday, the access lane looks closed off to cars.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 5:15 PM

it's always been 'closed' to cars and pedestrians as well. there are plenty of private property signs, but that's no obstacle to an abandoned building explorer! :p

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:24 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Sounds like the large duplex or triplex at the corner of Eddy and des Allumettieres (facing Eddy street) is abandonned, most/all windows are boarded and there are also Havenlea and Findlay Creek village signs on the front. It is already a big eyesore. Many commuters from the Chaudiere Bridge have a very clear view of this eyesore.

(Note: The following Could have put in the desing sub-section but considering it is related to abandonned buildings/lots I will put it here). In fact, Eddy Street is back to a disaster area, not that it really much improved with the construction but the two vacant lots after the buildings were burnt down will likely stay like that for a while, so after the snow melt, it will probably be full of weeds. And there neighbors only doing patchwork repairs. One particular tedious building is between Garneau and Charlevoix beside a former burnt out store. They Only put siding on the area that was damaged by the fire leaving the rest as it is - kinda like the one building at Bank and Florence I discussed in the general updates thread - and it is so ugly.
Now, there is a new lot on Leduc (104-112) that might likely be destined to become another field of weeds rather then being re-developped or re-built.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mooderator

It seems to me this area is prone to a lot of fires. That Portuguese cafe on Eddy that burned a couple of years ago, then that other block not too long ago with the laundromat and marajuana store, now this fire.

the curse of 1900.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion