HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 6:11 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Since no one has done Detroit...

Source: Colliers 2009 First Quarter Market Report

Detroit CBD (downtown, midtown, New Center): 29,744,049

Detroit-Wayne County (Detroit + Dearborn, airport, Downriver, etc...): 50,472,230

Detroit Metro (Tri-county + Ann Arbor + Livingston): 161,898,822

Can't seem to find one that covers just Detroit's municipal boundaries.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Interesting information I came across about Houston's largest employment areas. The Texas Medical Center is poised to overtake Houston's CBD based on projected growth in 2014. This data is from 4Q2008 and shows the TMC will grow by ~11,000,000 from ~29,000,000 to ~41,000,000 in approximately 5 years.

http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/NR/rdon...ections609.pdf
Quote:
29.6 million gross square feet of patient care, education and research space, equivalent to the 13th largest business district in the United States
http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en...nd+Figures.htm

the tmc + "south main" has about 11m square feet office according to colliers/costar, and it is a little disingenuous as a comparison unless similar factors are used. (i'm sure downtown houston has quite a bit more than 40m gross square feet) i keep seeing this statement used, and while the med cntr is fucking impressive as a district, the sheer size (and number) of office buildings in downtown houston should really dispel any idea that the tmc is comparable.

--------------

lmich, how much space do you surmise exists in detroit outside the woodward corridor? there can't be too many sizable office buildings, at least not many i can think of. (15-20k+ square feet)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
CBRE shows 31m in Downtown, 18.5m in "Hollywood/Wilshire Corridor" and 47.0m in "West Los Angeles". I would guess "West LA" includes Century City and Westwood. So.... your 100m estimate is pretty close!
If the Purple Line subway extension is built all the way to Santa Monica, you will have public transportation access to about HALF of the office stock in LA County.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
[FONT=Verdana]http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en...nd+Figures.htm

the tmc + "south main" has about 11m square feet office according to colliers/costar, and it is a little disingenuous as a comparison unless similar factors are used. (i'm sure downtown houston has quite a bit more than 40m gross square feet) i keep seeing this statement used, and while the med cntr is fucking impressive as a district, the sheer size (and number) of office buildings in downtown houston should really dispel any idea that the tmc is comparable.
I agree that the amount space used for research and medical purposes takes up more space than office space but nevertheless the space that is being constructed and is currently being used still takes up the space. That is the ~29,000,000 is not inflated or exaggerated but is being used, just as if it was being used for office space so TMC is very much comparable to Houston DT and any sizable to employment center.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I agree that the amount space used for research and medical purposes takes up more space than office space but nevertheless the space that is being constructed and is currently being used still takes up the space. That is the ~29,000,000 is not inflated or exaggerated but is being used, just as if it was being used for office space so TMC is very much comparable to Houston DT and any sizable to employment center.
there's a large amount of gray area though - a large chunk (half?) of it is hospital bed space, which is roughly equivalent to residential or hotel.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
there's a large amount of gray area though - a large chunk (half?) of it is hospital bed space, which is roughly equivalent to residential or hotel.
The article isn't comparing apples to apples and like I said originally it was some interesting information I came across. Nevertheless, going back to the OP, for a city sprawled out and without traditional zoning, Houston has managed to spawn Texas's 3 largest employment centers all within 5 miles of each other which is rather impressive in my opinion. That's a significant amount of centralized office space for the Houston metro.

Going back to the TMC, it's growth is interesting because it is quasi-governmental entity with the power of eminent domain and running out of land to expand on. Certainly, it has an advantage with its gross office space being of hospital, educational, and research use but it also cost more to build these facilities and is certainly not being under used.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Is this something that might interest you:

http://www.cushwake.com/cwglobal/doc...AL&Language=EN
Is this link accurate? Does Cleveland really have 130 million square feet of office space? As much as Philadelphia?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulindale View Post
Is this link accurate? Does Cleveland really have 130 million square feet of office space? As much as Philadelphia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownd View Post
Here are some figures from Collier's:

Cleveland Regional Total: 81,611,537 sf
Central Business District: 26,367,880
Other Cleveland and Suburban: 55,243,657
CBD: 32%

Source: http://www.colliers.com/Markets/Cleveland/
I think the Collier's #'s fall more in line with the ratio of office space to population in other posts. Not sure how they arrived at 130 million.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:28 AM
The City

Chicago continues to pull companies to its core:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1396015.story

United Airlines' workforce to take flight in operations center's move to Willis Tower

By Julie Johnsson and Hal Dardick
August 5, 2009

United Airlines is expected to announce as early as Thursday that it is moving its giant operations center and 2,800 employees from the northwest suburbs to downtown Chicago, sources tell the Tribune.

The city is pulling together about $25 million in incentives to help Chicago-based United pay its moving bills and the costs of building out about 450,000 square feet of space in the Willis Tower.

The deal will bring Chicago an infusion of white-collar jobs that should help spur spending downtown and investment in housing within the city. Landing United's administrative and operations staff would add more new jobs downtown than the employment that resulted from relocating to Chicago the corporate headquarters of Boeing, United's parent UAL Corp. and MillerCoors combined.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:57 PM
BANNED

I haven't checked each and every post on the thread, but thought I'd throw Calgary, Canada into the mix (sorry if it was already done).

City has just over 1M people, totaling a slightly higher 1.2M including all metro areas (most of the people are in the city proper).
  • Total office space is ~65M sf of which ~40M sf is in the CBD / downtown.
  • CBD has ~150,000 workers
  • Current vacancy rate for A/AA class office space is < 2%.
  • Office space absorption was about 3.5M sf in 2011.
  • Industrial exceeds 120M sf with about 2.5M sf absorption in 2011.
  • Current GDP for the city is ~$75B.
  • Average house currently sells for $423,000.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2012 as some larger buildings opened in 2011 and a very large building is set to open in 2012 (Sir Norman Foster designed - 1.7M sf building).

Of course, our economic situation is quite different than in the US, depending on city / region. Thought it might be interesting for you folks to compare a city not that far from your borders and within the same North American Context (IE most cities listed till now have been US ones).

Last edited by suburb; Feb 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I think it would be interesting to become familiar with the amount of office space per square foot there is for different cities, the vacancy rates and/or there not being enough space at this time.

Also how much of it is left in the original CBD and how less centralized it has become.

I don't have any stats to cough up at this time.
Austin- Q4 2011

Where - Inventory / Vacancy Rate / Price avg Class A

Total Office Space - 42,683,744 / 16.3% / $28.31
CBD - 8,561,401 / 13.2% / $38.67
Non CBD - 34,122,343 / 17.1% / $26.16

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:55 PM
Urban Advocate

Where - Inventory (sq.ft)/ Vacancy Rate / Lease avg Class A (no occupancy costs)

Total Office Space - 30,114,748 / 7.9% / $18.25
CBD - 17,075,055 / 8% / $20.50
Non CBD - 13,039,693 1 / 9.2% / $18.00

Total CBD U/C - Approx. 1,800,000 sq. ft.

source (and a rendering of Stantec's new HQ soon to be U/C
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:59 PM
Never Dell

"Total" inventory is only what the brokerages count. I forget which brokerages I'm remembering for Seattle, but one shows the metro with 95,000,000 sf and the other with 125,000,000 sf, or something like that. Even the larger one omits buildings that were never in the leasing market because they were owner-occupied, government, etc. Plus they omit small buildings, offices inside other uses, etc. Even omitting the latter, we might be around 150,000,000 sf for the metro core. Of that probably 50,000,000 is in greater Downtown Seattle. Or more like 60,000,000 including the more distant areas that some brokerages include along with Downtown.

That's another aspect...the brokerages define a central zone as being the downtown market for each city. That might be everything within city limits, or might be a square mile. People misunderstand that one all the time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions