HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 7:58 PM
dvdktn

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...3-c8e73a31ed6a

Calgary city council voted against bike sharing.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
dvdktn

Bike Sharing Station

Bike Parking in Tokyo
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:22 AM

One thing that calgary could use is certain roads being developed into greenways, with nice wide bike paths/ pedestrian sections. You should check out some of the designs on the vancouver section of SSP, they have come up with some great looking designs and routes.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 9:20 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Just got my bike-trainer set up.. it rocks! (Thank you MEC). Don't have to start winter-riding after all.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...3-c8e73a31ed6a

Calgary city council voted against bike sharing.
Geez, it was only a proposal to look into the possibility of bike sharing and they still turned it down. They shot down the idea to probe/explore the idea of having it in Calgary. Not worth their time or taxpayers' money, I wonder? If it was the latter, you could probably do a thousand studies for the cost of one interchange in the 'burbs.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 7:47 PM

Did anyone see the Herald today? they were talking about the East Calgary Greenway. It is my understanding that its being built right next to the ring road. Is that correct? The article said that the greenway will eventually circle the entire city, which may offer a pretty sweet ride

As for Bike sharing: I think it could work in Calgary, but only for certain areas. The river pathway system could have rental stations all along from bowness park, shoudice park, edworthy park and so on right on through to Prince's Island and the new Riverwalk in the EV. I think that one of the main problems would be the hills, as rental bikes are unlikely to offer the gear ratios needed to climb out of the valley . thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 4:14 AM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Did anyone see the Herald today? they were talking about the East Calgary Greenway. It is my understanding that its being built right next to the ring road. Is that correct? The article said that the greenway will eventually circle the entire city, which may offer a pretty sweet ride

As for Bike sharing: I think it could work in Calgary, but only for certain areas. The river pathway system could have rental stations all along from bowness park, shoudice park, edworthy park and so on right on through to Prince's Island and the new Riverwalk in the EV. I think that one of the main problems would be the hills, as rental bikes are unlikely to offer the gear ratios needed to climb out of the valley . thoughts?
Those would be perfect sites for stations. Although I can't see people using them other than for recreation. I think it would be good to have stations near Sunnyside c-train station and Erlton c-train as well as Talisman park, Stanely park, a few small ones along 10th Ave, and the other ones you mentioned.

The city should build bike lanes on 10th Ave comparable to this:

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 4:26 AM
dvdktn

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=c...12,270.55,,0,5

As you can see people don't understand the concept of a bike lane in Calgary. People always treat this road like the bike lane doesn't exist. I've been honked at a few times on this road by old rednecks that can't grasp the concept.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 7:16 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=c...12,270.55,,0,5

As you can see people don't understand the concept of a bike lane in Calgary. People always treat this road like the bike lane doesn't exist. I've been honked at a few times on this road by old rednecks that can't grasp the concept.
I wish the City would do a proper job in promoting the rules/expectations associated with bike lanes. The only promotion I've seen has been to alert people that they exist, but not to say "no cars allowed", etc.

I am not sure which City department is responsible for enforcing the rules, ie: Calgary Police Service under the AB Highway Traffic Act, or City of Calgary Bylaw..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:58 PM

1990s model pick-up truck: $5999
Carton of american cigarettes on the dash board: $59.99
Walmart baseball cap: $5.99
Shampoo to wash mullet: n/a
Making a statement against society by driving in the bike lane*: priceless

(*And without your seatbelt on)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 5:07 AM
dvdktn

This person is oblivious. Kind of makes me wonder if i'm being made fun of somewhere out in cyberspace.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:10 AM
dvdktn

Video Link

Copenhagen has an amazing model for urban cycling infrastructure. Every city should learn from.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlesray View Post
Geez, it was only a proposal to look into the possibility of bike sharing and they still turned it down. They shot down the idea to probe/explore the idea of having it in Calgary. Not worth their time or taxpayers' money, I wonder? If it was the latter, you could probably do a thousand studies for the cost of one interchange in the 'burbs.
In most other places the bike sharing is funded out of the street furniture advertising agreement. Would make sense to wait until that came up again. Also, not sure where the money goes from that agreement - it may be put 100% back into transit, which could potentially cost transit revenue if we forced the company to provide an additional service.

Paris's bike sharing has turned out to be really expensive to operate, given that experience I am not sure whether private companies would really offer to install at a reasonable price.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:41 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I posted in the Calgary Construction Thread yesterday, but I'll post it here too.

It looks like the pedestrian bridge over Metis Trail by mcKnight Westwinds staion is gearing up to go ahead. There were Atco Office Trailers and a container dropped of on site yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:56 AM
dvdktn

Looks like East Village riverwalk has a designated bike lane. I hope when they build it they have markings clearly showing that the lane is for bikes.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 4:15 PM
Here and There

Looks like agreat weekend to get the bike out. +10 for saturday and sunday.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 8:06 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I posted in the Calgary Construction Thread yesterday, but I'll post it here too.

It looks like the pedestrian bridge over Metis Trail by mcKnight Westwinds staion is gearing up to go ahead. There were Atco Office Trailers and a container dropped of on site yesterday.
Construction is in full force now.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:09 PM
dvdktn

I moved out of Calgary so if anyone is out taking pictures and can get a good shot of the riverwalk progress that would be awesome. Also any peace bridge photos would be great to post on this thread as well.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 6:55 AM

The new War Memorial designed by Marc Boutin uses a Cor-Ten steel for both the monument and a significant widening and realignment of the pathway around and under the Louise Bridge into Kensington. It also looks like, in the process of building the new War Memorial that the entire chaotic alignment of paths around the Memorial Drive, 10th Street intersection will be redone.

Pics on Marc Boutin's web site.

http://www.the-mbac.ca/site.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 5:27 PM
Round Head

Aldermen seek another bike safety review

Issues include speed limits, cycling lanes

By Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald March 8, 2010

Jessie Burke was biking on the paths behind Eau Claire Market on March 7, 2010 in Calgary. Bike speed and routes will be back on city council's radar Monday, two weeks after it voted down a review of how fast two-wheelers can travel on pathways.

Bike speed and routes will be back on city council's radar today, two weeks after it voted down a review of how fast two-wheelers can travel on pathways.

Four aldermen are calling for a comprehensive cycling strategy and a safety review of the pathways used by bikes, pedestrians and others.

Ald. Druh Farrell said that with the city's greater emphasis on getting people out of their cars, a new plan to make that easier is needed.

"We need a commitment on timing and financing," said Farrell, who is putting forward the notice of motion with Bob Hawkesworth, Joe Ceci and Brian Pincott.

She said a plan is required that makes it easier to cycle all around the city, whether you want to ride for fun, to work or just to pick up groceries.

"We're still building roads that don't have cycling lanes," she noted. "We've been nibbling around the edges when it comes to cycling amenities. Historically, we've treated it as recreation."

Read More.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...089/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates