HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: Are you planning on going to the Stampede this year?
Yeeeeee-haw! (yes) 38 53.52%
No 25 35.21%
I haven't decided 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 1:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Cool Calgary Stampede 2009 Thread

I thought we could have a place to discuss everything Calgary Stampede 2009 here.

Do you love it? Like it? Hate it?

I'll get us started with an article from the Herald today on some new additions planned for this year:

Calgary Stampede puts fresh spin on midway fun

By Deborah Tetley, Calgary Herald May 8, 2009 7:15 AM

A venue well known for staples such as mini-donuts, corn dogs and beef-on-a-bun will offer visitors even more bizarre fare this year, with wheat grass juice, potatoes that look like they've been hit by a tornado and battered, deep fried jelly beans on the menu.

Rodeo cowboys and cowgirls, meanwhile, will be trying for a taste of a record $2 million in prize money, and the more laid-back set can sip white wine by waterfalls.

These are just some of the new additions announced Thursday as the Calgary Stampede gears up for The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, July 3 to 12.

"It's going to be an all-around great event again this year," said Stampede spokesman Doug Fraser.

One of the more unique attractions, he said, is the Rocktagon, which will make its Canadian debut here. Free with admission, it's a "digital playground" of lights and sounds and music.

"It's sensory overload and people are going to love it," Fraser said.

But for the 2009 Stampede to run smoothly, Fraser noted, it needs to hire 3,500 employees looking for a 10-day gig.

Positions include everything from filling pop and flipping burgers to hawking beer and providing security

At noon today, the Stampede will begin accepting online applications, which will be the only means of vying for a job on the grounds.

Given the economic downturn, the Stampede is optimistic the jobs will fill quickly.

"We did well last year when the market was healthier," Fraser said. "We're anticipating a few people will be looking."

The Stampede is expecting a largely "rubber tire" crowd this time, Fraser said, meaning vacationers who are staying closer to home will plan their summer driving trip around making a stop in Calgary.

dtetley@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link

My wife and I are both born and raised Calgarian's that grew up on the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth. I will admit that in my early twenty somethings I grew tired of going down to the grounds, but always enjoyed the rodeo or the chuckwagons, and the SUPERDOGS!

We went down last year (since it is so close), and will probably head down again this year.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 2:15 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Looks like just me and you so far Bigtime. I'll bring the beef on a bun!

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Growing up in western Canada, it's either the Ex, the Stampede, Klondike Days (or whatever abomination they've renamed it to), etc. It's the same traveling carnival with the same awesome bingo tent and the same mini donuts. And it's all way, way overpriced.

And I wouldn't miss it for the world. I've already had a couple occasions to visit more than one in a single year (Ex and Stampede, for me). My friends think I'm nuts.

On a non-midway note, what's everyone seeing in terms of corporate cutbacks this year? I've already seen 2 major (I'm talking thousands of people) breakfasts be canceled, supposedly due to spending cutbacks. Considering a lot of events aren't announced for a while, I wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg and we might see a rather subdued Stampede this year.

I know a lot of this is missed by those that don't work downtown or for an O&G company, but still - I can see a lot of expense accounts being cut off this year if what I've seen is any indication. And a lot of people used to get that, even outside of O&G.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:41 PM

what I want to know is what happened to the vip pass you could buy for nashville north? That tent is the best place to drink during stampede, and 4 hour lineups....suck

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:51 PM

Might be going this year. There are usually some decent bands playing the Coke Stage, but that venue is too small, and you have to get there 3 hours before any show if you want to see. One other reason to go down is all the girls in wranglers and cowboy hats, don't ask me why, but that's always really hot.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:55 PM

I accidentally voted "no" on the poll because I thought I was out of town again that week... Oops.

The last couple of years I have been unintentionally absent from the Stampede due to other travel plans, so I'll probably end up going this year. If nothing else I'll provide accompaniment for my wife who enjoys is more than I do.

I have a bit of a love/hate thing with the Stampede. Growing up it was never a big deal, and my parents are still indifferent to the Stampede, at best. I used to cringe at everyone's one-a-year western duds because it seems like such a forced, unnatural thing. Kind of like a really bad costume party. Now I just laugh at it. I do, however, like to see the city come alive. There are so many things going on and the city has a special kind of buzz during Stampede (in more ways than one!). I like seeing the out-of-province plates experiencing our city (and spending their money here, obviously).

My wife, on the other hand, just loves it. We probably go every other year (on average), and parts of the Stampede I really enjoy. We'll usually try and catch a show at the Coca-Cola stage if someone worth seeing is playing. Sloan, The Odds, Treble Charger (IIRC), Matthew Good... all back in the day were good ones. This year... haven't seen much yet.

Then on to Superdogs usually. The exhibition/product showcase stuff is actually pretty interesting. The infomercial-type of thing gets old quickly, but it is a bit of a spectacle that you don't get to see every day.

Never been big on rides, especially now. For some reason my stomach can't handle it as well as it did in my early-mid twenties. It could have been the time that the door on the zipper came unlatched mid-ride and was being held on my the smallest of metal pins. Or the time that, on that ride where you go around like a ferris wheel in your own little capsule and you can spin it upside-down and such - the steering wheel thing came off into my hands. Apparently not a critical piece of the rise because a) our capsule thing didn't fall, and b) the Conklin guy just threw it underneath the ride after we handed it to him on the way out.

Actually, this year I might do the grandstand and chuckwagons - haven't done that in a few years.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:07 PM
Business Is Usual

Being from Edmonton, this year will be my first Stampede run.

I'm hoping it's everything it's hyped up to be.

Not only that, but a whole bunch of new towers up since my last trip to Calgary a few years ago!

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:11 PM

I haven't been in a few years (last time I went was only because my brother managed to win a set of 4 tickets for the rodeo plus lunch in the Lazy S restaurant in the Grandstand). Used to go every few years when I was younger, mostly just to wander around for day then take in the evening events in the grandstand.

That said, I likely will be going this year, especially if my brother once again manages to get us free admission passes since he has some stuff to do on the grounds as part of the WorldSkills competition leadup. Plus this year will likely be the first time I attend the parade in person, usually have never had a chance but the entire family currently is planning to since my brother is in the parade this year.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Plus this year will likely be the first time I attend the parade in person, usually have never had a chance but the entire family currently is planning to since my brother is in the parade this year.
I'm not a parade fan (read: I can't stand attending them) but in 2004 I got dragged into going to the Stampede parade by a very, very cute friend.

They had many of the Flames (and Sutter) all jersey'd up and riding horses. Listening to entire city blocks shouting GO FLAMES GO was awe-inspiring.

The rest of the parade sucked though. But man she was cute.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I haven't attended the parade since I was a kid. I have a question about it, do they still have the float that goes by that all the kids can throw their change at?

I always remembered that for some reason, and the street sweepers doing the noble task of cleaning horse shit off the road!

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:04 PM

I usually end up going and watching the rodeo with some buddies...this year I suspect will be no different.

Overpriced and tacky, yes. But I love Stampede - the most fun time of year to be in Calgary.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:08 PM

I always try to take out of towners to the Chucks and Grandstand show. It is a good time. First weekend of Stampede is great. Parade, night on the town, stampede breakfast, grounds, chucks & show, wet breakfast (woo!), recovery.

Running the first weekend gauntlet for someone from out of town sure leaves an impression on them, that Calgary is certainly on one side of crazy!

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:21 PM

Yeah I probably won't go to the parade again until I have kids old enough that they will remember going, or if a close friend or family member is in the parade.

As for going to the grounds, I usually like going. I've missed maybe 5 years of my life. I usually make it to the chuckwagons with my family, which is pretty fun once you get to know a bit about some of the drivers and the family lines in the sport, picking your favourite to win each heat and keeping your eye on them, etc. Other favourites on the grounds are the trade and art shows, Weadickville, Coke Stage (no one I wanted to see last year though, if I recall), and getting mini donuts before calling it a night. I usually allow myself a try at a couple midway games as well. One thing I miss is going down and watching the live CFCN news telecast, which they don't do anymore.

I think the Stampede is a net-positive for Calgary. Obviously it continues to bring the tourism and the associated economic benefits. It usually puts people, especially in the workplace setting, in a good mood and is a good reason to just have some fun. Yeah the branding and such can get tired and hokey, the political clout the Stampede Board has isn't always the best thing, and things like too-cool-for-public-transit-the-rest-of-the-year types trying to figure out an LRT door can be a pain. However most of the negatives only last 10 days and the positives definitely tip the scale.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

Can't say that I'm a fan...I'll most likely plan a getaway during that time!!

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 4:35 AM

Some years I have a Fuck the Stampede party on the first friday then I get the fuck out of Dodge for the rest of the week.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 6:56 PM
effete latte-lifter

Not to brag, but I sit on a board with the CEO of the Stampede and he's taken a liking to me, so i will be doing everything VIP style this year. I'm not even sure what that means, but I will probably get to sit down for the parade for he first time in my life.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 6:58 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Jeffwhit: One hooked up dynamic brotha'

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:40 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Not to brag, but I sit on a board with the CEO of the Stampede and he's taken a liking to me, so i will be doing everything VIP style this year. I'm not even sure what that means, but I will probably get to sit down for the parade for he first time in my life.
Sounds Creepy!!

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 2:59 PM
not a NIMBY

Hurray! I'll be away!

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:16 PM

The Stampede is my favorite time of year. I'll be at the rodeo more time than not, and the chuckwagons every night. I wish it was Stampede right now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation