HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:35 PM

Wooster, We're in Akiskinook right around the corner from your place. Between yourself, bigtime, and possibly others could almost do an SSP meet out in Invermere

Funny, I've never used the word 'cottage' to describe our place, I guess partly because it's a townhome. Back in Ottawa everybody uses the term 'cottage', practically everyone has a cottage also.

I've like the 'cottage country' out here in BC much better than the Ontario cottage country, but the downside is the price. It's very expensive in comaprison. I had to go in on a townhouse to make it viable.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 7:46 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^I'm also at Terra Vista, (obviously, to those who know that.)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 8:54 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
Wooster, We're in Akiskinook right around the corner from your place. Between yourself, bigtime, and possibly others could almost do an SSP meet out in Invermere

Funny, I've never used the word 'cottage' to describe our place, I guess partly because it's a townhome. Back in Ottawa everybody uses the term 'cottage', practically everyone has a cottage also.

I've like the 'cottage country' out here in BC much better than the Ontario cottage country, but the downside is the price. It's very expensive in comaprison. I had to go in on a townhouse to make it viable.
Before our family owned in Terravista we rented for several years for a few weeks in the summer when we were kids. That was part of the motivation from my folks to eventually buy there. So many great memories.

I always thought of Akiskinook as Shelbyville. Kind of a bizarro-world Terravista!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 10:38 PM

Those properties out in BC look nice. One benefit of being in Calgary is the reasonable proximity to BC and its mountain lakes, which are the nicest anywhere imo.

We have a family cottage in Malaysia, so making quick trips on weekends isn't very doable!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
I think this would be quite fun, be it summer or winter there is always something to do out in the Columbia Valley.

Once the cabin is complete we'll have more than enough room to have a few people up.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
IMHO

Lac la Biche

I'm fortunate to be able to vacation in Lac la Biche thanks to an open invitation from a friend and their family. It's on probably the sweetest spot on the lake, with a real sand beach, and some of the best sunsets I have ever seen, anywhere. It's also quiet - while there are some jet skis, etc, it's now where near the level of the more accessible areas - advantage of being in an area of private lots that back right onto the beach - hard to buy these days.

Just another sunset:

'da beach, in funky Pano mode:

11:30pm glow in the sky

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Here are some progress pictures of the new family cabin up at Panorama, it is on a lot that has quite the elevation change, forcing a design that actually functions like two separate homes. My parents have named it "Gran Sasso" in honour of the mountain in Italy (my moms home country), they felt like the rock wall that greets you as you pull up is reminiscent of that.

Estimated completion is around the end of January in 2010.

Computer rendering of the finished product:

Wow Bigtime that's a nice looking 'cabin,' is it one of the places that overlooks hole #6 (cliffhanger)?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 7:46 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Wow Bigtime that's a nice looking 'cabin,' is it one of the places that overlooks hole #6 (cliffhanger)?
Unfortunately it doesn't overlook #6, that would be sweet. I would sit on the deck and watch people make that tee shot all day.

It will back onto the tee box of either hole #14 or 15, I can't quite remember which.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 3:31 AM

Hi BigTime
You have a very nice cottage house how much driving time from Cowtown to this place???
Bye

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 1:43 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koval95 View Post
Hi BigTime
You have a very nice cottage house how much driving time from Cowtown to this place???
Bye
It's usually about 2-1/2 to 3 hours driving time from Calgary to Panorama.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation