HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:37 AM

Prisons closing

Well some got their wish. KP closing.
P4W already gone.
Should be interesting but trying to maintain an old building can get expensive.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:50 AM
I am a typical

Generally we start threads with news articles.

Older prisons do need to be replaced. Thunder Bay's 90 year old facility is no longer suitable, it is at 150% capacity and inmates are dying "from unknown causes" at a rate of 1 or 2 a year. But at the same time, there is no need for dozens of 1,000 bed megaprisons either.

What we need is a way to have people to not re-offend after being in prison so that we don't have to keep them in prison for eternity to prevent them from re-offending. Maintaining old buildings is expensive, but housing someone in prison for a year is even more costly.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Well some got their wish. KP closing.
P4W already gone.
Should be interesting but trying to maintain an old building can get expensive.
what the hell are you rambling about now?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:51 AM

Major announcement yesterday

Basically:
In this forum over the last year and as people speculated on areas affected or should be affected by the budget (DND, health, prisons, jobs).
Some felt strongly that maybe too much was being spent in the CSC. An opinion of building new prisons was strongly opposed.
So, it may appear that their predictions were correct or their opinions shared by the government and acted upon. All departments were cut except the Coast Guard.
To close a facility that is 177 hrs old could be prudent as the best before date for a building that is 24/7 is maybe 30 yrs. And as updates or are added it is like putting a new V8 in a very old car and the expense is more than buying new. Building new would also be less disruptive. A home Reno in a occupied building of criminals would be a security nightmare or recipe for disaster.
KP and the others did not have that many occupants and with new design you can go up not out. They have a Lego type construction method that is very quick and you use a crane to add bigger contained cells.
I know one jail that is right downtown and looks like a 8 story office building.
So as my original hook was vague, I assumed that seeing that since 1 p.m. Yesterday this has dominated the news, took up all of Power and Politics yesterday and is the lead story in most print and other media venues.
This is a necessary evil and should be more proactive focused as the reactive is less successful and more expensive.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 12:32 AM
I am a typical

We weren't arguing against replacing old prisons with more modern facilities. I'm all for that. We were arguing against greatly increasing the number of cells to accommodate more criminals because the government wants to make more things illegal and make prison sentences a default punishment for more crimes. It isn't the right approach.

Prisons do need to be modernized. But we don't need to stick everyone in them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada