HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The stage was fine when it first went up and there was nothing much around there, but it just looks out of place now. But I suppose The Forks still needs it to host big outdoor events.

Incidentally, that stage is an Etienne Gaboury design...
i think the original Gaboury design involved a landscaped berm over a sunken stage. it was "value engineered" to the present effort (if memory serves)

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:24 AM

speaking of which, go to reddit Winnipeg and check out the phenomenal photo of the Canada games festival on Manitoba night. I was there, it was stunning..

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
speaking of which, go to reddit Winnipeg and check out the phenomenal photo of the Canada games festival on Manitoba night. I was there, it was stunning..
Have a link?

After the first few days seemed slow - looks like attendance shot up dramatically. Lots of the venues are PACKED.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Have a link?

After the first few days seemed slow - looks like attendance shot up dramatically. Lots of the venues are PACKED.
It's awesome to see such great support for the games! I was amazed by the near-sellout for the baseball final.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It's awesome to see such great support for the games! I was amazed by the near-sellout for the baseball final.
i was at the baseball semi's and there was 3500'ish people there and the final had 6850 i believe. it always helps when the hometown (6th ranked) Team MB is in the final!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:45 PM
BANNED

I hope they put a WalMart, Superstore or Sobey's in that area. Problem with building so much residential development, is the planners do not consider that the new residents need to eat, shop, etc. That may be one of the reasons Waterfront Drive had a hard time attracting prospective tenants.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Waterfront did not (perhaps still does not) have the density to support them.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:07 PM

We been through this many times. No business owner will set up shop in an area that is dead and lose money/go out of business. Vice versa, nobody wants to live where's it dead. Classic chicken and egg scenario. Seeing as Waterfront is gaining progress finally on the commercial/retail/CRU front, hopefully it translates into more people, and the whole thing reaches critical mass.

Also the reason why no major grocery store or really any retailer has set-up downtown. We'll see what comes of the grocery store plans for the three developments on Graham. All of them have said grocery store will be part of it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:34 PM

It's been 30 years: The Forks Plan is Announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt265wvgv8M

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:42 PM
BANNED

I loved watching Sandra Lewis.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We been through this many times. No business owner will set up shop in an area that is dead and lose money/go out of business. Vice versa, nobody wants to live where's it dead. Classic chicken and egg scenario. Seeing as Waterfront is gaining progress finally on the commercial/retail/CRU front, hopefully it translates into more people, and the whole thing reaches critical mass.

Also the reason why no major grocery store or really any retailer has set-up downtown. We'll see what comes of the grocery store plans for the three developments on Graham. All of them have said grocery store will be part of it.
No need to be condescending. That is your opinion. I think it would succeed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:00 PM

I don't know where on earth you'd find a parcel of land big enough downtown to support a big-box grocer like Superstore or Walmart unless it was part of a larger development like in the podium of Skycity.

To put something the size of the Taylor Ave Walmart (store + parking lot) anywhere near The Forks you'd pretty much need to demolish Shaw Park and reroute streets. If you cut down the parking I guess you could eliminate the street rerouting part.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:09 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
I don't know where on earth you'd find a parcel of land big enough downtown to support a big-box grocer like Superstore or Walmart unless it was part of a larger development like in the podium of Skycity.

To put something the size of the Taylor Ave Walmart (store + parking lot) anywhere near The Forks you'd pretty much need to demolish Shaw Park and reroute streets. If you cut down the parking I guess you could eliminate the street rerouting part.
True, however, I'm sure that loblaws could find a way to make a tidy profit out of a smaller store that stayed well stocked. They could do the basic thing and also do a bit of a higher end product too that emphasized healthy eating without the pretentiousness of say whole foods. Because the young professional crowd that is about to appear at 300 main, TNS, and hopefully Skycity (fingers crossed) would totally go for something like that. I think they could make it work with the approximately 1600 new residents brought in by these developments. But then again, I have no idea of the economics of these things

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:11 PM
There is always a way

^ before I forget there could be forks residents that would shop there too depending on its location.

Literally every city in Europe makes the grocer thing happen with Spar and Carrefour, let's make it happen here.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:

Forget Superstore and Walmart. Save-On Foods knows how to do high quality grocery stores in urban areas. (Step 1: Don't include Taylor Ave's parking lot).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^ before I forget there could be forks residents that would shop there too depending on its location.

Literally every city in Europe makes the grocer thing happen with Spar and Carrefour, let's make it happen here.
I agree, downtown can support a supermarket but it would probably be closer in scale to the Family Foods on Donald than a Walmart.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:35 PM

A Loblaws "Independent City Market" might also be a good fit in one of those new developments. I was really impressed by the one at Shaw and King in Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
No need to be condescending. That is your opinion. I think it would succeed.
Wasn't being condescending. Apologies if I came off that way. I was just meaning we discussed this quite a bit recently. The realities of downtown at this point in time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I take it you have never lived in Edmonton or Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan