HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:48 AM

Quote:
"Poll shows Canadians want Uber, but not without regulation"

Source: http://globalnews.ca/news/2515956/po.../?sf20883673=1
Honestly, I'm not sure how to take this poll. As much as it's great to see the majority of Canadians open to improving this industry and allowing competition, how can anyone support the status quo, let alone extending it?

The issue isn't Uber vs no Uber, it's having a ridiculous regulatory environment that keeps ride-sharing out and allows taxi companies to take advantage of their market monopoly to run a substandard service. Of course, our solution to stupid regulations is to force new entrants to play by those rules instead of just fixing them and creating a true market. I swear Canadians only have this mindset so we have yet another thing to complain about years from now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 6:04 AM
Shoebox Dweller

To be fair, a free market won't achieve some of the same things that a taxi service achieves today. That being, a guaranteed proportion of accessible vehicles, and guaranteed vehicle conditions (regardless of how low the bar is today). I think that regulation somewhere in between where we are today and Uber is the best option. That is, anybody can provide transportation so long as they meet some sort of minimum proportion of accessible vehicles if their fleet is above a certain size, a certain minimum vehicle condition, a certain price ceiling (as is today), certain insurance minimums, certain "rating" minimum, and so forth. Uber may bring some of these, but not all. What doesn't work today is an arbitrary limit on who and how many taxis can be on the road.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:19 AM

Vancouver TED talks. Uber CEO talks.

http://www.vancouversun.com/vancouve..._lsa=6b8b-fd8b

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 8:12 PM

Just because it's starting to get insane with the way things are.

Multiple major christmas parties in the covention centre area, plus people going out etc etc this past weekend. 1-2am major lineups at the hotels for cabs and not one in sight. This just shows how out of touch the various levels of government are when it comes to cabs in this city. The governments desire to reinvent the wheel just amazes me. Oh and the "uber competitor" that launched in this city, Ripe Rides, has like 2 cars on the road because no one is using the service when it costs 50 dollars to go five km.

Let's hope there is a vote-getting promise for the coming election!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post

Multiple major christmas parties in the covention centre area, plus people going out etc etc this past weekend. 1-2am major lineups at the hotels for cabs and not one in sight. This just shows how out of touch the various levels of government are when it comes to cabs in this city. The governments desire to reinvent the wheel just amazes me. Oh and the "uber competitor" that launched in this city, Ripe Rides, has like 2 cars on the road because no one is using the service when it costs 50 dollars to go five km.

Let's hope there is *concrete action*.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post

A good first step, would be to permit taxi licensed in Vancouver to pickup in any other municipality and vice versa. Current system if a Vancouver taxi taxes a passenger to Burnaby it is not permitted to pickup in Burnaby, it must operate empty until it gets back to Vancouver. From an environmental responsibility and traffic management perspective it is completely unacceptable.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:11 PM

I had no idea that was the case. That explains the absolute refusal (which is illegal by the way) by most cab drivers downtown to take people outside of Vancouver. Anyways the situation in this city is out of control. I've been stranded downtown on a weekend before with cab after cab refusing to pick my friends and I up claiming their shift was over as soon as they found out we wanted to leave downtown. Uber can't come fast enough.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
A good first step, would be to permit taxi licensed in Vancouver to pickup in any other municipality and vice versa. Current system if a Vancouver taxi taxes a passenger to Burnaby it is not permitted to pickup in Burnaby, it must operate empty until it gets back to Vancouver. From an environmental responsibility and traffic management perspective it is completely unacceptable.
Move taxi and limo licensing to the Metro Vancouver level. Take it away from the municipalities and lift the cap on taxi licenses (or abolish it outright).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:15 PM

I agree with Jebby.

According to the rules it's also illegal for Surrey cab companies to come into Vancouver and pick up fares. It's ridiculous. It should be open season for anybody at least on Friday and Saturday after 6pm for example.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:48 PM

The taxi rules are completely archaic. If anything, liberals should've moved on this issue to appease the masses and buy votes instead of taking our own money and lending it back to us for free.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
The taxi rules are completely archaic. If anything, liberals should've moved on this issue to appease the masses and buy votes instead of taking our own money and lending it back to us for free.
lol, yeah the new interest free loan plan is absurd. They have similar programs in the US. My friend bought a place in NJ and in addition to getting a 3.5% fixed-interest rate loan got 4% interest-free down payment assistance on a 4-unit property.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
I had no idea that was the case. That explains the absolute refusal (which is illegal by the way) by most cab drivers downtown to take people outside of Vancouver. Anyways the situation in this city is out of control. I've been stranded downtown on a weekend before with cab after cab refusing to pick my friends and I up claiming their shift was over as soon as they found out we wanted to leave downtown. Uber can't come fast enough.
The solution is to take a Vancouver taxi to the border with Burnaby or Richmond. Then transfer to a local cab.

Some process use to exist in Europe at national boarders before they opened up free movement of people. You would take a Swiss taxi to the boarder with France and transfer to a French taxi. Thankfully in Europe they came to there senses. Vancouver, well we will see.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 10:24 AM

i've been watching a lot of blogs about vancouver lately and a big comment by tourists is the lack of uber and they can't figure out how to order a taxi, like really? are you that young you have had uber your whole life? yikes

I don't know if they are being serious or not but they think vancouver is a joke without having uber

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
The solution is to take a Vancouver taxi to the border with Burnaby or Richmond. Then transfer to a local cab.
It's ridiculous that someone would have to do that.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i've been watching a lot of blogs about vancouver lately and a big comment by tourists is the lack of uber and they can't figure out how to order a taxi, like really? are you that young you have had uber your whole life? yikes

I don't know if they are being serious or not but they think vancouver is a joke without having uber
Here is where I can relate. Whenever I travel I use wifi to order an Uber as I don't pay for travel a calling plan. Most tourists don't either and its really easy to use the app without having to call someone. Lots of tourists are staying in Airbnb's as well so they do not have a front desk to call for them. And when out on the street, all you have to do is find a wifi hot spot and you can order an Uber. Most people don't have the local cab companies apps when they travel here. I support any criticism against not having Uber as I think it's ridiculous that we are still without.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
It's ridiculous that someone would have to do that.
Yes, it is.

It is time to elect progressive leadership at city hall.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 1:38 AM

Quote:

Some process use to exist in Europe at national boarders before they opened up free movement of people. You would take a Swiss taxi to the boarder with France and transfer to a French taxi. Thankfully in Europe they came to there senses. Vancouver, well we will see.
Uber should pay people to report these guys.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is.

It is time to elect progressive leadership at city hall.
Is this a CITY issue though, or is it more on provincial level?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Is this a CITY issue though, or is it more on provincial level?
They (CoV) have licensing and regulatory jurisdiction.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They (CoV) have licensing and regulatory jurisdiction.
The Passenger Transportation Board (provincial) also has a say, I believe.

Lots of details in Ben Proctor's thesis from 2014: Assessing and Reforming Vancouver's Taxi Regulations

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure