HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 7:53 PM

Anyone know how much of this new highway will be four-lane/divided?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Anyone know how much of this new highway will be four-lane/divided?
I believe all of it should be

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I believe all of it should be
Correct. My understanding is the entire road will be a 4-lane, divided highway.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:39 PM

I was out at the Airport today and the Holiday Inn Express is coming along nicely, they are working on the 4th floor and starting to enclose the lower floors. The sign said opening by Winter 2015, I guess that means December.

The airport expansion is progressing as well, construction fences are up and they are moving dirt around…once they find it under the snow..ha..ha. At least that is one project that won’t be affected by the economy slowdown

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:09 PM

It's been such a long time since I've been out that way that I had NO idea the hotel was progressing along, or that work on the expansion had started. That's awesome to hear!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:10 PM

Update on St. John's International Expansion plans

http://stjohnsairport.com/wp-content...r-1-Update.pdf

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:55 AM

One interesting thing noted in this CBC article. The new runway lighting system they are installing at St. John's International this summer, will use all LED lights. Which will apparently be the first airport in the world to have this.

"Once completed, St. John's will be the first airport in the world to have LED light on its runways. Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris will be the second."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lins-1.3015130

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...53709&latest=1

Quote:
St. John's City Council has shut down the proposed electric vehicles pilot project.

With a vote of 9-2, it was just Councillors Dave Lane and Sandy Hickman who supported the initiative at last night's meeting.

Just a few weeks ago, everyone except Councillor Wally Collins was in favour of the pilot project which would have seen the city purchase two used 2013 Nissan Leaf fully electric models, and install several public charging stations around St. John's.

Lane says he thinks the city has made a mistake, calling it "a step backward."

Lane describes what happened as a "paralysis by analysis." He says a lot of doubts and concerns about the vehicles, which could have been answered with further research, and by trying vehicles out.

Mayor Dennis O'Keefe commended Lane for his forward thinking, but ultimately voted against it. He says "now is not the time."

I am on the fence with this one. However, I do agree with Councillor Lane that this should have been pursued for the sake of research.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 AM

I'm not on the fence at all, it was an excellent project that was shut down by fear of change and misinformation. Every doubt raised about the vehicles has been debunked hundreds of times. The information is out there, but was intentionally ignored.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
I'm not on the fence at all, it was an excellent project that was shut down by fear of change and misinformation. Every doubt raised about the vehicles has been debunked hundreds of times. The information is out there, but was intentionally ignored.
I am all for environmental initiatives and projects. I guess my ignorance on this particular subject puts me on the fence on whether electric vehicles are a good idea.

Funny that the majority of council supported this prior to Andy's comments and then rejected it afterwards.

In the end I think it was a stupid decision. They were only talking about purchasing 2 vehicles, not replacing the entire fleet.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...53709&latest=1

I am on the fence with this one. However, I do agree with Councillor Lane that this should have been pursued for the sake of research.
"research"...does he honestly think that the mass adoption of technology hinges a pilot project by St John's council and that people will never buy an electric car if they don't hear what council say about it?

It's more for show than "research" IMO. Council could do much more for efficient living right now by not rejecting high-density proposals.

PS: not against electric cars by any means. just don't think they are feasible for most people yet.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
PS: not against electric cars by any means. just don't think they are feasible for most people yet.
Don't tell Elon Musk that....

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
"research"...does he honestly think that the mass adoption of technology hinges a pilot project by St John's council and that people will never buy an electric car if they don't hear what council say about it?

It's more for show than "research" IMO. Council could do much more for efficient living right now by not rejecting high-density proposals.

I guess I never really meant to use the term research. I fully stand by the opinion that you never truly know about something until you try it. You can read reports or stats that it worked in some cities, doesn't work in others and do comparisons of climate and other things. However, we will never truly know if it works in St. John's, until we actually try it in St. John's. Like I said, it's only 2 vehicles, it's not going to be catastrophic if it doesn't work out. At least then, you can say "we tested it, and it did (or didn't) work".

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Don't tell Elon Musk that....
Of course he knows. I would to buy a Model S in a heartbeat...however the base model starts at $82,270.

I would just like to see any car company release a (non-ugly) electric car in the $20,000-$30,000 range that can get decent mileage. I still think we are at least 5 years before those costs are possible.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 12:35 AM

It wasn't going to be research in the rigorous scientific sense, but to test the feasibility of electric vehicles for a routine part of city operations. What's the harm? There was something like $25,000 of provincial funding available for the program. Going electric could have saved even more on fuel. The worst outcome I can think would be that the price tag plus down-time (charging) would result in a marginally higher cost, in which case, well, we could purchase no more until technology improved, or eat it for the sake of our environmental impact. Cost isn't necessarily the right metric to be looking at anyway, but when it likely works in electric's favour it makes opposition even stranger.

I don't mind that it would also be "for show." We do so little as it is, it's hard to knock a small step forward.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
It wasn't going to be research in the rigorous scientific sense, but to test the feasibility of electric vehicles for a routine part of city operations. What's the harm? There was something like $25,000 of provincial funding available for the program. Going electric could have saved even more on fuel. The worst outcome I can think would be that the price tag plus down-time (charging) would result in a marginally higher cost, in which case, well, we could purchase no more until technology improved, or eat it for the sake of our environmental impact. Cost isn't necessarily the right metric to be looking at anyway, but when it likely works in electric's favour it makes opposition even stranger.

I don't mind that it would also be "for show." We do so little as it is, it's hard to knock a small step forward.
Yes, I agree. I believe we share the same view, you can just articulate it better than me.

I don't believe it would be for show. I think owning a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus would be more for show than owning an electric vehicle.

Look for the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car". I watched it years ago and found it very interesting, I may have to watch it again now.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 11:19 AM

Ironically, I hated that movie. I felt they were really reaching to prove the validity of electric vehicles when the first generation they were discussing were severely lacking. Fast forward ten years and two generations however, and they're a practical choice. Price still needs to come down, yes, and range will keep getting better, but the fears people keep spewing about battery emissions (from production) and short lifetimes have been proven to be completely false, time and again.

As for the cost of the Model S, it's expensive, but so are the cars it competes with. It isn't a focus or civic competitor, it's a BMW 5 series competitor. Keep in mind also that the first cars were prohibitively expensive until the Model T came along because some hippy had this crazy idea about a "middle" class

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:20 PM

Anyone aware of anything going on with Metrobus? I remember there was a lot of talk around the last election of bringing big changes to the service but have heard nothing since.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
Ironically, I hated that movie. I felt they were really reaching to prove the validity of electric vehicles when the first generation they were discussing were severely lacking. Fast forward ten years and two generations however, and they're a practical choice. Price still needs to come down, yes, and range will keep getting better, but the fears people keep spewing about battery emissions (from production) and short lifetimes have been proven to be completely false, time and again.

As for the cost of the Model S, it's expensive, but so are the cars it competes with. It isn't a focus or civic competitor, it's a BMW 5 series competitor. Keep in mind also that the first cars were prohibitively expensive until the Model T came along because some hippy had this crazy idea about a "middle" class

The ironic part is that ford had the idea that even the workers should be able to afford this car, which is ironic, because mobility of autoworkers is what caused the implosion of the city of detroit as people fled for the burbs.

Anyway

wells is nothing but a stupid imbred newf.

His townie bullshit is dumb.

The marquee value of having electrics alone would be worth the cost.

But inbred stupid newf attitudes prevail, even with money this province is dedicated to being ass backwards as possible.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Anyone aware of anything going on with Metrobus? I remember there was a lot of talk around the last election of bringing big changes to the service but have heard nothing since.
Lol I'd be interested in the issue if our economy was still on the coarse for growth. However with the commodity bubble hitting, and demographic issues, I don't think the interest is gonna be there unless a large number of folk start riding the bus.

Sorry for the direct negativity but it is what it is.

To be perfectly fair, with an economy more in line with reality I think this place might actually improve.

However major infrastructure issues I doubt will make the list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's