HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great Canadian Dining Thread

By moving the posts, it looks as though I started the thread. Sorry, jeremy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
At the suggestion of a few members, I'll move the conversation here. Maybe a really nice mod could move some of the recent posts out of the Retail Thread to here?

They update their menu every few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if fresh fish appears at other times of the year. Would they be allowed to serve fish from recreational fishermen seeing as I don't believe there are any commercial ice fisheries in Ontario? I know that hunters aren't allow to sell meat, so I imagine regulations would be similar for recreational fishermen.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some wonderful news about the new Legros & Motti restaurant on the St. John's Harbourfront:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
I'd like to give an early plug for Legros & Motti. I ate there with my partner from her work invite, and it was great. I know this is a bit of a moment to show off, but the food/service/atmosphere kind of took me aback. Sitting on the 2nd level (over what will soon be Jack Astor's) offers a really nice view over the water and Harbour Drive.

Not sure when the official opening is, but the inside looks completely finished. The only thing that made me remember it wasn't officially opened were a few boxes in the porch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
My roommate did a walkthrough of the building, and while he hasn't tried the food, he was VERY impressed with the atmosphere. Really excited about the bar in particular; apparently they are trying to make a classier space for people to have a few drinks. I'm all for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
The restaurant is doing dry runs this weekend, My brother is a cook there and my girlfriend is a waitress. From the responses from them its going to be a one of a kind restaurant in this city. Majority of their food is made from scratch right there like the pasta noodles are made right in from of you, same with desserts. I haven't heard one bad complaint about the food yet.
I went looking for their menu, and their website is up already. Their tagline is an Italian proverb: Life is too short to not eat well.

Quote:
Much like St. John’s itself, LeGros & Motti is the perfect combination of modern city style and classic European comfort. A French-Italian fusion restaurant & bar, we provide top quality artisanal food, prepared with care and passion. Our menu of traditional classics are given a modern flair, and set against a backdrop of ambiance and energy that creates an unforgettable dining experience.
Quote:
Unlike any other restaurant in the city, L&M is offering as much entertainment as food. Drawing its inspiration from the historic and hip meat packing district of New York City, the interior of L&M is modern, yet warm.
Their menu doesn't list prices - I guess, if you have to ask.

http://legrosmotti.com/

Surely it'll be less than $50/person for a lunch and a drink, though? I hope so. I'd love to have our next forum meet there!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:03 PM

I'm sure it will be a nice addition to local dining options, but they lose me with the "French-Italian fusion" bit. I prefer restaurants that pick a style of cuisine and stick to it. Plus, there seems to be minimal "French" on the menu, so I would have cast their food as "contemporary Italian", if I were in charge. Minor quibble, I know.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm sure it will be a nice addition to local dining options, but they lose me with the "French-Italian fusion" bit. I prefer restaurants that pick a style of cuisine and stick to it. Plus, there seems to be minimal "French" on the menu, so I would have cast their food as "contemporary Italian", if I were in charge. Minor quibble, I know.
Nah, that makes sense. I hate the word fusion in relation to food in general - contemporary is much better.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:42 PM
Closed account

I'm okay with fusion; I think you can get some really interesting results. In this case, I'm not really seeing the fusion either though. It mostly seems like an italian restaurant with a few steak options for people who don't want pasta or pizza. It sounds like reviews are positive so far, but I would love to hear more feedback.

I was working in Sturgeon Falls, ON for a week or so just a few days ago and my coworker and I stumbled upon a really nice restaurant called Two Doors Down (possibly the only non-chain restaurant open on Sunday?) It was exceptional, and we were both wondering how they stay in business in a place like Sturgeon Falls.

In any case, I really liked the menu they have. It's really small, but every single item on it seems like something I'd want to order. I wish more restaurants would go that direction. A huge menu doesn't do me much good when I struggle to find a single item that piques my interest.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:52 PM

I don't know Sturgeon Falls at all, but a restaurant like that is a nice surprise. Just a few dishes, well prepared, would do it every time for me. Might have been nice if their fish had been fresh from the Lake rather than arctic char, but maybe that's not realistic.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Small menus are often better, yes. As long as fettuccine alfredo isn't on it. A smaller menu has to be more interesting and innovative than that.

Some places in town have small, boring menus. Gypsy Tea Room, for example:

www.gypsytearoom.ca

Its saving grace is an often interesting daily special.

There are lot of restaurants in St. John's that get by on that, or with pop-up nights. Fixed Coffee and Baking's taco pop-up nights (octopus tacos were the most interesting), The Rocket's daily specials, etc.

Most of them allow you to sign up to get a daily email explaining the daily specials. I enjoy that.

All that said, though, we actually do have a clear front-runner for best restaurant in the city. Here's its regular menu:

http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/ra..._food_menu.pdf

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:34 PM

Maybe we need a Great Canadian Dining thread?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:45 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
All that said, though, we actually do have a clear front-runner for best restaurant in the city. Here's its regular menu:

http://www.raymondsrestaurant.com/ra..._food_menu.pdf
We had the tasting menu at Raymond's and unfortunately I'd have to call it overrated. Every morsel I had at Rocket was, in comparison, perfection- might have been the single best bakery I've ever been to in my life, and their savoury food (their pizza) was spectacular. I also had a bagel at Fixed that blew me away. And the coffee at both Rocket and Fixed (and Post Espresso, RIP) could rival any third-wave coffee house in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:45 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Maybe we need a Great Canadian Dining thread?
Yes!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:19 PM

there is a small place in vancouver that only opens in the evening and only sells desserts, only a couple things like cheesecake and creme brule and its always packed

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
We had the tasting menu at Raymond's and unfortunately I'd have to call it overrated. Every morsel I had at Rocket was, in comparison, perfection- might have been the single best bakery I've ever been to in my life, and their savoury food (their pizza) was spectacular. I also had a bagel at Fixed that blew me away. And the coffee at both Rocket and Fixed (and Post Espresso, RIP) could rival any third-wave coffee house in Canada.
Aww, really? That's disappointing. I've not been to Raymond's yet so I don't know. But it sounds so delicious!

I agree about Rocket. I love that place. I love it. The atmosphere is great with the three separate areas to pay, and people sitting on the ledges of the windows with their legs folded. I just love it.

Fixed is a favourite too - I just love that location. That whole block of Duckworth along the National War Memorial is great. It's one of the few really... alive... stretches of Duckworth.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:19 PM
Closed account

At the suggestion of a few members, I'll move the conversation here. Maybe a really nice mod could move some of the recent posts out of the Retail Thread to here?

Quote:
I don't know Sturgeon Falls at all, but a restaurant like that is a nice surprise. Just a few dishes, well prepared, would do it every time for me. Might have been nice if their fish had been fresh from the Lake rather than arctic char, but maybe that's not realistic.
They update their menu every few weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if fresh fish appears at other times of the year. Would they be allowed to serve fish from recreational fishermen seeing as I don't believe there are any commercial ice fisheries in Ontario? I know that hunters aren't allow to sell meat, so I imagine regulations would be similar for recreational fishermen.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post

You are probably correct. In that case it would only be served on a "nudge, nudge; wink, wink" basis to friends of the chef (like wild game meats, if you know where to go.....)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 AM
Closed account

This sounds intriguing...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:05 AM

I've been sworn to secrecy. In fact, I've already said too much!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:21 AM

Well, I can get all pretentious and rhyme of an assortment of dining establishments around Ottawa that I pretend to frequent while systematically dissecting their menu over a carafe of whatever their wine list leads me to that day. I assure you that some of the sesquipedalian folks on here would be on the qui vive over my menu choices.

Now getting real here, Razor's restaurant is the real deal.I'll tell you why..
Looking into my upright freezer I spy a large batch my sister's magic cabbage rolls and peroghies ..They are both my Polish mom's recipe (cabbage rolls..secret recipe ya right) She lives in Scarberia, and they are so good that my wife and I e-mailed her money for her to make and ship us a large batch of both to keep in our freezer. She never profited.

I still have a batch my French Canadian Grandmother's Ragout and a large tourtiere well sealed from Christmas. they in fact are blatantly in your face once you open the freezer.

That's my take on dining establishments right now. Okay ,so the Lemon cello salmon fettuccine at the Vittori Tratorria is amazing, but at this exact moment I'm really into the home sliced cuisine staring at me from the freezer. that's a blue chip dining establishment if I ever did see one..Right here...Cheers

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 8:22 AM

Delete

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:18 PM

I'd like to say I know of many cool restaurants, but the reality is that I am much more likely to he able to tell you where the nearest Subway/Wendys/Tim Hortons is. Screw it, omce I'm 30 I'll start caring about "health".

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well, I can get all pretentious and rhyme of an assortment of dining establishments around Ottawa that I pretend to frequent while systematically dissecting their menu over a carafe of whatever their wine list leads me to that day. I assure you that some of the sesquipedalian folks on here would be on the qui vive over my menu choices.

Now getting real here, Razor's restaurant is the real deal.I'll tell you why..
Looking into my upright freezer I spy a large batch my sister's magic cabbage rolls and peroghies ..They are both my Polish mom's recipe (cabbage rolls..secret recipe ya right) She lives in Scarberia, and they are so good that my wife and I e-mailed her money for her to make and ship us a large batch of both to keep in our freezer. She never profited.

I still have a batch my French Canadian Grandmother's Ragout and a large tourtiere well sealed from Christmas. they in fact are blatantly in your face once you open the freezer.

That's my take on dining establishments right now. Okay ,so the Lemon cello salmon fettuccine at the Vittori Tratorria is amazing, but at this exact moment I'm really into the home sliced cuisine staring at me from the freezer. that's a blue chip dining establishment if I ever did see one..Right here...Cheers
I have three of my Mom's tourtières sitting in the freezer but they are at least three or four years old. I know I should probably toss them, but I can't bear to do it! I have the family recipe, so maybe I'll try to make some myself this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada