HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post

Edmonton:

And the vision of the system in 2040 with the festival and energy lines:

Not gonna lie, this vision for 2040 is pretty boss. Is it all grade separated?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:26 AM

RE: Ottawa's Bank street route being bandied around.

Is a tunnel going down bank street part of the official plan? Liking the looks of Edmonton's future plans btw.

Real kewl thread idea too btw.

Last edited by Razor; Dec 31, 2014 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Not at all. Edmonton's inept planning department insists on keeping everything at grade, including through the middle of some of the city's busiest intersections.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:12 AM
Change is good

Edmonton's idea of transit planning is to run a streetcar style line out to the further suburbs, instead of commuter like LRT like it has on the original line. Frequent stops, slower speeds, much less protected/segregate ROW
Most of the current planning ignores all the previous planning and ROWs set aside for LRT, instead choosing more costly ways.

I have no problems with streetcars either - but they should be used in loops in the central areas/urban areas, not out to the suburbs. Streetcars shouldn't be used for suburban commuter style rail

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 3:19 AM
Closed account

I don't necessarily disagree with you, feepa, but it is interesting that most (if not all) of Toronto's streetcar lines were originally created to connect suburbs to the core. The suburbs were just a whole lot more urban back then.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Edmonton's idea of transit planning is to run a streetcar style line out to the further suburbs, instead of commuter like LRT like it has on the original line. Frequent stops, slower speeds, much less protected/segregate ROW
Most of the current planning ignores all the previous planning and ROWs set aside for LRT, instead choosing more costly ways.

I have no problems with streetcars either - but they should be used in loops in the central areas/urban areas, not out to the suburbs. Streetcars shouldn't be used for suburban commuter style rail
Wow, that's yucky. Sorry to hear that! I think that an important concept that politicians in Canada don't understand is that there is a huge difference between grade-separated LRT and grade-integrated LRT. To me, it makes the difference of the LRT system being a rapid transit system or not.

Last edited by scryer; Dec 31, 2014 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:

I completely agree, but this is common these days (see Calgary also). And make no mistake, this isn't 'so the stations are better integrated with communities' or some other BS. It is because it is cheaper.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 6:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
So if Hamilton doesn't follow through with all the lines it will end up with something kinda BLA ?
B and A Line are both part of Metrolinx short term projects. After that something like 20 years away would be the T line.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

We need a Vancouver map that also shows the planned Millennium Line extension to UBC (in two phases), and the three LRT corridors in Surrey.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The TTC's actual map with all existing projects completed:

What do you mean by existing projects? underconstruction? Because the Scarberian express is not u/c nor is the finch line, nor Shepard West extension. I will be surprised if either of those is even settled upon in the next decade!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:22 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I completely agree, but this is common these days (see Calgary also). And make no mistake, this isn't 'so the stations are better integrated with communities' or some other BS. It is because it is cheaper.
But in cases I've studied, it isn't cheaper. It costs about the same. Look at the cost per km to build skytrain vs edmontons new lrt.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losername View Post
What do you mean by existing projects? underconstruction? Because the Scarberian express is not u/c nor is the finch line, nor Shepard West extension. I will be surprised if either of those is even settled upon in the next decade!
Both Sheppard East and Finch West have been approved by Toronto City Council and Funded by the Province (Metrolinx) Construction End dates are 2020 for Finch West and 2021 for Sheppard East.

Insertnamehere has a better idea on start and end times.

Last edited by caltrane74; Dec 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:50 PM

Behold the splendor of Winnipeg's planned rapid transit network

Source: City of Winnipeg

The purple lines are actual BRT routes. The green lines are "quality corridors" which are basically just enhancements to normal on-street bus services (priority signals, diamond lanes, improved stops and frequencies, etc.).

Only a small portion of one purple line has been built to date, but the new mayor was elected on a platform that included getting them all built by 2031. We'll see how that goes.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:51 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
But in cases I've studied, it isn't cheaper. It costs about the same. Look at the cost per km to build skytrain vs edmontons new lrt.
Well, in most cities where surface LRT has been built (cities like Montpellier, Barcelona, Besancon, Le Mans, etc.), it gets done for $25-30M/km whereas the average cost of the Skytrain per km is just a bit above $85M. Of course, you can always do it more expensively (cities like Nice built tunnels and ground contact systems which brought the cost to almost $50M/km) or cheaply (Besancon just opened a system in September which was built with modest stations and limited expropriation for only $18M/km). According to Wikipedia, once you eliminate the urban renewal costs which often accompany these projects (and which have to under French law), SLRT often costs between $12-$18M/km.

It depends on a thousand different things and it's hard to generalize, but I think you could say with a decent amount of certainty that Skytrain is not as inexpensive as SLRT, no matter how you turn it.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
It looks pretty amazing but there are really only 2.5 lines there, they boost it up to 5 lines by using tons of interlining which they may end up scraping in the long run since it may not be necessary and interlining was not successful in Toronto. I do think that Ottawa's system however should get upgraded to the trillium line interlines with the confederation line since, the trillium line really goes nowhere and people would need to change trains. But for that to happen they would need to completely rebuild the existing line to double-track it and electrify it.

As far as I know the downtown portions of all of Edmonton's LRT is tunneled so it is grade-separated where it matters, unlike the C-train which is grade separated pretty much everywhere except downtown.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:47 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
B and A Line are both part of Metrolinx short term projects. After that something like 20 years away would be the T line.
So it'll be the BAT network?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:20 PM

This is London's meager plan for a BRT network. The entire plan has basically been driven by the administrative department of our non-progressive transit commission. The head of the commission just stepped down, but he was about as progressive as an elder in the old order Mennonites. Their plan was to have this network in place for 2030.

Our newly elected council however is a breath of fresh air. The new mayor and every single councillor ran and got elected on a pro-transit platform. Mayor Matt Brown said he want's London to have rapid transit in place in 4 years. I'm not sure that can happen, but at least they are moving in the right direction.

It's unfortunate for cities like London since we are far enough away from the GTA to "not matter" and because we are not under the umbrella of GTA/Hamilton transit group, we do not benefit from their goals for transit. London is about as disjointed as a city can get with regards to planning. There is no regional transit and I have never even heard any desire to have regional planning. St. Thomas, (35,000 people) is about 20 mins from London, but you can't take a bus to London. Same for Woodstock (38,000).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The TTC's actual map with all existing projects completed:

This doesn't include what should be the biggest expansion of our rapid transit network in the next 10 years:

Transforming GO commuter rail system into a rapid transit service, adding stations and integrating fares such that it essentially becomes at least 4 additional lines of "surface subways", meaning two-way all-day frequent service like a subway (or other forms of rapid transit).

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:29 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I haven't heard of the plans to convert GO into a rapid transit service; the last thing I heard were plans to convert it into a more frequent, more European-style commuter rail service with 15 min medium frequency. Anyone have a link to the rapid transit conversion proposal?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I haven't heard of the plans to convert GO into a rapid transit service; the last thing I heard were plans to convert it into a more frequent, more European-style commuter rail service with 15 min medium frequency. Anyone have a link to the rapid transit conversion proposal?
GO RER was the plan for electrified, frequent (15 min or more frequent), all day, two way service on the GO corridors.

SmartTrack was the proposal which was the main plank of John Tory's election to mayor. The main ideas were adding more stations and integrating fares such that those lines are part of the TTC rapid transit network, like a new subway line. As a result of this, Metrolinx is looking at fare integration & adding more stations in their GO RER study.

Latest update here:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf..._Update_EN.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada