HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:33 PM

Transcona Blvd is now officially open today.

http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr...20141222.stm#1

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 10:09 PM

I was down Transcona Blvd today and all they did to open it at Plessis was fill in the missing paved section with gravel. I can see that's going to be a pothole farm until they can close it down to pave the missing portion next spring.

I also wonder if a westerly turn lane on north bound Plessis will be put in sooner rather than later?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 11:09 PM

^I thought that road looked wonky in the pictures from the newser. That's quite funny actually. Like you said, it will be one big mess until spring. I would only assume they've done the bare minimum to get the road opened. There may even be the need for two left turn lanes on NB Plessis once all those houses are built and the soviet towers thing is completed, if that ever gets any steam.

It will also be a four lane roadway at some point, so there would be a lot of work required to get that completed. Likely a full intersection reconstruction. As when transitioning from four lane to two lane roadway, you usually carry four lanes through the intersection the reduce down to two lanes.

I drove Peguis from Regent to Concordia and it was nice. I liked the new LED lighting. You swing over from the NB lanes to the SB lanes at Transcona Blvd. So it's a bit weird through there until the four lanes get completed in the future.

Thinking more about that gravel approach off Plessis thing, it seems dangerous. Some guy coming down Kildare who doesn't need to stop all of a sudden goes on to a wonky potholed gravel surface for like 20'. Could cause some drivers to spin out a bit, maybe hitting some stopped vehicles or something.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 10:33 PM
North End Troublemaker

Sorry for the crappy sun link, but here's a story everyone here will love... Transcona Boulevard closed 1 week after officially opening for roadwork.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/12/2...rs-one-week-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was down Transcona Blvd today and all they did to open it at Plessis was fill in the missing paved section with gravel. I can see that's going to be a pothole farm until they can close it down to pave the missing portion next spring.
I guess they didn't want to wait until spring...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 1:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Sorry for the crappy sun link, but here's a story everyone here will love... Transcona Boulevard closed 1 week after officially opening for roadwork.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/12/2...rs-one-week-in

I guess they didn't want to wait until spring...
Yeah, I drove down there the other day, and everything seemed fine until that 5 metre stretch of road, right at the intersection, was all gravel.

I can only shake my head at that.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yeah, I drove down there the other day, and everything seemed fine until that 5 metre stretch of road, right at the intersection, was all gravel.

I can only shake my head at that.
Talk about incompetence, the roadway itself is asphalt with the approach to Plessis to be concrete but is now still pothole filled gravel. Wouldn't someone from the city or the company doing the work think to at least have had that short concrete approach poured and finished even before the rest of the roadway work was done. You would have also thought maybe turning lanes both north and south could have been incorporated into the design. Overall the roadway looks to have been done as cheaply as possible and pretty much half assed, renaming the roadway Russ Wyatt Boulevard would be fitting.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:59 AM

Russ W. and the Mayor got their photo op. That's all that matters.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Talk about incompetence, the roadway itself is asphalt with the approach to Plessis to be concrete but is now still pothole filled gravel. Wouldn't someone from the city or the company doing the work think to at least have had that short concrete approach poured and finished even before the rest of the roadway work was done. You would have also thought maybe turning lanes both north and south could have been incorporated into the design. Overall the roadway looks to have been done as cheaply as possible and pretty much half assed, renaming the roadway Russ Wyatt Boulevard would be fitting.
I agree that turning lanes should have already been installed in the north south medians, unless that is going to be the 2015 project that Russ W. will take credit for asking to have built.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:12 PM

Quote:
The Wyatt's, already have a street named after their primary sperm donor, Reg Wyatt Blvd. Russ is waiting for a more appropriate street, some thing that is lumpy and dumpy, a little rough around the fringe, and closer to the call of the wild.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
The Wyatt's, already have a street named after their primary sperm donor, Reg Wyatt Blvd. Russ is waiting for a more appropriate street, some thing that is lumpy and dumpy, a little rough around the fringe, and closer to the call of the wild.

Who is Donna Wyatt? I see there is a street with that name in the new development west of Peguis St.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Who is Donna Wyatt? I see there is a street with that name in the new development west of Peguis St.
I believe that's Reg Wyatts wife.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Her contribution since coming to Canada a couple of years ago in marrying a schlub like Wyatt warranted a street named in her honour I guess in condolence.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Her contribution since coming to Canada a couple of years ago in marrying a schlub like Wyatt warranted a street named in her honour I guess in condolence.
^Donna Wyatt is not Russ Wyatt's wife, as Cheswick said above...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 2:22 PM

Interesting on how the Wyatt family can get their names on streets. My family was approached about having a street named in that area for our late father years ago and I don't think that's going to happen now.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 5:22 PM

When you're the councilor on the community committee and the developer needs your support, you can make any sort of backroom demands you want.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
When you're the councilor on the community committee and the developer needs your support, you can make any sort of backroom demands you want.
That's the way things have worked in Winnipeg for years.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 12:48 AM

That's how the entire world has worked forever.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 5:49 AM
BANNED

So I drive down Plessis today and guess what's happening at the NOW CLOSED Transcona Blvd. Yup, pouring cement for the approach to Transcona Blvd. -23 with the windchill at -35 no problem, in a couple of years they can rip it all out and charge the city for the job again!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 2:09 PM

The city news release says that its temporary concrete and will be replaced this summer.

This temporary concrete is probably being provided at the paving contractor's expense as the missing section would probably considered not meeting the projects substantial completion date.

I would not be surprised that they thought that gravel would make it through the winter as a lower cost alternative to winter concrete.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:21 PM

That gravel was getting rutted up pretty bad. Hopefully this is at no cost to the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan