HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:18 PM

mts plans were terrible compared to other providers in terms of their wireless and tv services I'm glad their out.. this wont raise the costs much considering Toronto and alberta are completely different markets than Ontario and bc.

I expect prices to stay the same if not go up slightly

mts was a crown corporation I believe and the govt wouldn't make such a deal if it would take jobs out of Manitoba

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
mts plans were terrible compared to other providers in terms of their wireless and tv services I'm glad their out

MTS made Manitoba have amongst the lowest wireless costs in the country. They're the only company to offer true unlimited data.

If you don't believe me, go to the Rogers page and switch between provinces. People in Manitoba and Saskatchewan currently pay far less than people in Ontario, Alberta, or BC.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
mts plans were terrible compared to other providers in terms of their wireless and tv services I'm glad their out.. this wont raise the costs much considering Toronto and alberta are completely different markets than Ontario and bc.

mts was a crown corporation I believe and the govt wouldn't make such a deal if it would take jobs out of Manitoba
MTS hasnt been a crown corporation since the 90s

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:38 PM

It was Telus with their poor network coverage in Manitoba which lead with the below national wireless prices in Manitoba, not MTS. MTS was a follower.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
MTS made Manitoba have amongst the lowest wireless costs in the country. They're the only company to offer true unlimited data.

If you don't believe me, go to the Rogers page and switch between provinces. People in Manitoba and Saskatchewan currently pay far less than people in Ontario, Alberta, or BC.
Unlimited data is sort of a red herring. A comparable plan might offer 15gb. MTS offers unlimited but they throttle you back to nothing when you reach 15gb anyway. Its just that very very few people use that much data.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:

The 2 jurisdictions in Canada with the lowest wireless rates are Saskatchewan and Manitoba, who both have strong local telcos. The elimination of MTS eliminates this local competition. Expect that prices will go up significantly once the merger is completed to match other areas of the country.

Quote:
MTS hasn't been a crown company since January of 1997, when the Filmon government sold it off. The Manitoba government has no say as to whether or not the merger goes ahead and didn't make this deal. It is a deal between two private, publicly-traded companies.
Two parts of the federal government have a say: the CRTC and whatever Industry Canada is called now. But their mandate is not to look at job losses, just to enforce laws around competition.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
According to Global and The Sun, the move will have 2700 MTS employees join Bell to create a 6900 person Western Canada HQ in Winnipeg. That doesn't sound like bad news.

On the other hand, despite better service coming, I'm sure prices will go up.
The internal narrative was that most jobs shouldnt be at risk but that there will always be some redundancy when two companies merge like this. But the suspicion is more along the lines of upper management than front line staff.

And the expectation is that reduction would include buy outs and/or early retirements. In fact the collective agreements currently in place call for that (although I believe the early retirements offered to 250 management level employees recently was better than the collective agreements called for) but coincidentally, all three collective agreements expire this year. The manager's union is negotiating right now so one would expect them to have a new agreement by the time the purchase goes through.

The clerk union (most front line staff) expires end of year so that could certainly drag on and the deal might close with no collective in agreement for the bulk of employees.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:45 PM

I think prices will go up but I dont think it will be a shock. The other companies will be looking at this as an opportunity to gain market share so in the early going I'd suspect there will be some price wars.

Bell will be able to bundle and really stick it to Shaw so as far as home Internet and TV goes, there should be some strong competition there. And in fact, Bell should offer better technology and I think most people wont mind paying a bit more if the perceived service/technology is better.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:48 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It was Telus with their poor network coverage in Manitoba which lead with the below national wireless prices in Manitoba, not MTS. MTS was a follower.
That's interesting. I didn't realize that.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. I didn't realize that.
It's true, Telus entered the market sometime around 2004/05 and they were very aggressive with pricing. They put the Super Talk unlimited plans out there, one variant of which I'm still on now all these years later. The funny thing is I think they piggybacked off another carrier's infrastructure at first, possibly MTS or maybe Rogers. I know this because my first couple of flip-phones with Telus had impeccable reception just about anywhere.

Conversely, once I switched to an iPhone I must have been using the Telus network only because I rarely managed to get a signal outside of Winnipeg. Even Brandon had no coverage until a couple of years ago. Things have improved now, I'm still on the Telus network and much of southern Manitoba is now covered although still not comprehensively.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The 2 jurisdictions in Canada with the lowest wireless rates are Saskatchewan and Manitoba, who both have strong local telcos.
This used to be true but Vidétron, a division of Quebecor, operating in the province of Quebec as a company similar to Shaw locally, won wireless spectrum in the auctions sometime back and has actually become a strong competitor in the Quebec wireless market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I think prices will go up but I dont think it will be a shock. The other companies will be looking at this as an opportunity to gain market share so in the early going I'd suspect there will be some price wars.
A partly true fact. Wired Internet costs will mostly go the same and on the higher end actually decrease significantly, $140 for MTS to $100 for Bell with Bell having a 50% speed boost. Wireless costs Bell is currently higher than MTS but as mentioned elsewhere, MTS wasn't originally the low cost driver in the province so I would call that too early to call either way.

That said, my larger concern is with the wireless spectrum ownership in Manitoba. With MTS here the wireless spectrum is spread over four companies, as it is in most provinces. The Bell deal would reduce the spectrum ownership to three companies and put Manitoba at a disadvantage compared to the rest of Canada. Potentially this could have Manitoba paying 40% more for wireless compared to other provinces, basically the opposite of how things are today.

My personal preference would be to have the 1/3 wireless customers, and a hefty chunk of spectrum rights, transferred from MTS to Shaw as part of the Bell deal as Shaw now owns Wind. This would continue to maintain the four wireless networks in Manitoba. Shaw also has a historically good working relationship with Rogers which could help them quickly establish wireless coverage in Manitoba.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:50 PM

Interesting indeed, regarding Telus, CoryB

Funny enough they have some of the highest fees in Alberta all in (as do Bell and Rogers, but those two can be more lenient with giving away SIM cards or waiving connection fees; Telus seems to get every single penny out of you...took my cousin to a Telus kiosk the other day to get him a SIM card and we were blown away that Telus was asking 20$ for a SIM card...meanwhile Koodo, whom they also own, asked for 5$ lol)

AB pricing is ~2x what one would pay in MB, present day, for the same features. Its ridiculous. On top of that, all the "big 3" recently increased their monthly costs too (not sure if that happened in MB).

One need to look pretty much anywhere outside Canada to see how much we way relative to other countries; I know there are reasons for that with us being larger, less densely population, and 3 providers with a monopoly but I've been used to pricing in Europe, where plans have significantly more value and are cheaper than they are in Canada. And actual, real prepaid plans are offered unlike the "prepaid monthly" stuff we get here. Granted, Europe is smaller, has more competition across the continent, and has always been very connected with cell phones - even back in the early 2000's people could send texts to Newscasts and Music Video channels and Talk shows and the like, something which has only recently happened in Canada (the modern day version being live twitter posts and things like that)

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:

Bell will be able to bundle and really stick it to Shaw so as far as home Internet and TV goes, there should be some strong competition there. And in fact, Bell should offer better technology and I think most people wont mind paying a bit more if the perceived service/technology is better.
From CBC:

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Jul 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM. Reason: credit to CBC

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 8:48 PM

you guys are nuts

mts had amazing phone deals my ass

sure they allowed unlimited date but that was for 87 dollars a month not including taxes and im not even sure that included other features

give my a break

mts was terrible I been with shaw for tv and internet for a long time because they offer way cheaper better service...

their not just going to raise our prices the cost there is way high because of population desnity theres way more people trying to get internet signals on the same wireless frequencies. Manitoba and regina are different markets this wont affect to much of a change..

prices wont change much out here

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
you guys are nuts

mts had amazing phone deals my ass

sure they allowed unlimited date but that was for 87 dollars a month not including taxes and im not even sure that included other features

give my a break

mts was terrible I been with shaw for tv and internet for a long time because they offer way cheaper better service...

their not just going to raise our prices the cost there is way high because of population desnity theres way more people trying to get internet signals on the same wireless frequencies. Manitoba and regina are different markets this wont affect to much of a change..

prices wont change much out here
My MTS flat rate data plan with 200 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends is $64.37 per month with all fees included. That's the charge on my credit card bill each month.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The message internally is definitely one of optimism in regards to the investment by Bell and pushing the narrative that they wouldnt bother doing so if they didnt intend to be here long term with the new HQ. You never know ofcourse. But definitely trying to make it a good news scenario.
Keeping in mind that the people putting out that message likely hold or work for the people holding many shares in MTS which Bell is buying for much more than they are worth to anyone else. Follow the $$$.

MTS is a failed company since privatization. It has been just a matter of time before something like this happened. I'm guessing the regulators will ask them to sell more or most of the wireless business. The rest is relatively benign. Bell might walk from the deal if that's the case, or drastically lower the amount they are willing to pay for MTS.

The only realistic opportunity to have more players in the market would be to allow more foreign investment or allow smaller Canadian companies to partner up with bigger international (likely American) wireless companies. Otherwise pick a side, red or blue.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:43 PM

Great discussion, even though It was fine in this thread, a new thread for Bells acquisition of MTS was created, so here it is....

>>> Bell Purchase of MTS

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg ranks #6 in Profitguide.com's best places for business.

http://www.profitguide.com/manage-gr...-top-25-104964

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 6:39 PM

Pallister gives thumbs up to premiers' Canadian free trade plan

Quote:
A new Canadian free trade agreement is “a giant leap forward” that will benefit Manitoba businesses looking to trade outside provincial boundaries, Premier Brian Pallister said.....

...Attending his first national meeting of premiers since winning the Manitoba office in April, Pallister said there remains work to do to push through lingering exceptions to the deal, but said it stands to open doors for small and mid-sized businesses here.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/07/2...ree-trade-plan

A change in direction from our previous governments policy..

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Very good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan