HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
The plans on COA site have been approved and released. SP-2010-0294C

Interesting to me that each garage level has its own entrance. Not many bike spots in the garage at all. This is one narrow lot, I wonder how the units will layout, skinny along each side with a hall or cross from north to south. Its hard to tell from the images.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10503939
I'm reading that the last activity on this was in 2011. It doesn't expire until 2014...but it's been sitting for 2 years.
It will be interesting to see if it moves forward
I hope so. I think its great use of land for that area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Which SP-2010-0294C? There's 001, 002, 003, 004 etc. so on and so forth.
17 are elevations, 18 parking. (1) are updated sheets for those.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm reading that the last activity on this was in 2011. It doesn't expire until 2014...but it's been sitting for 2 years.
It will be interesting to see if it moves forward
I hope so. I think its great use of land for that area.
There was activity 9 months ago. Shows expiration of 10-18-15.

Edit: The lot on the corner there is also being redeveloped. Elevation on page 5 here.

Last edited by zedaref; Jun 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Which SP-2010-0294C? There's 001, 002, 003, 004 etc. so on and so forth.
1 is always the index, look at 17, 18, they are the elevations and garage.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:33 PM
Meh

It looks like there's been a height reduction, although slight. The height that I had for the building from the 2010 site plan was 12 floors and 136 feet to the main roof and about 141 feet to the top of the mechanical penthouse.

Now looking at the updated site plan, shown in the link below - SPL-SP-2010-0294C_0~017(1) - it shows the building as being 10 floors and 127 feet 8 inches to the mechanical penthouse and 117 feet 2 inches to the main roof. The garage will still have 4 levels, so it seems they've chopped two levels of residential.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10503939

I sent an email last night to the developer who I had met 5 years ago. I asked if the design and height were the same. I asked if they were moving forward with construction. All I got back was that the design was basically the same. So I'm not sure what to think. I'm hoping it moves forward. By the way, the same companies that are involved with this project are also involved with the 7th & Rio Grande project.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 2:13 AM
Meh

Site plan for "8th & Nueces". This is the location of the Bremond.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ite%20Plan.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 2:11 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 3:16 PM

22 stories? 200 feet? Nice! This is definitely an upgrade.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 3:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's 200 feet from the East, right? So from the West, it'll look closer to ~230 feet?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 5:04 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
This is a student housing development, almost certainly:

http://www.myaspenheights.com/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:36 AM

^^Yeah, it's definitely being done by the same firm. The name of the applicant is Aspen Heights, and the mailing address is 1301 S. Capital of Texas Highway #201, which matches the name and address of the firm that develops student housing. I didn't know they were based in Austin.

Here's the Design Commission Report

The applicant info is on page 13 and the elevations are on pages 33, 34, & 35.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:48 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I didn't know they were based in Austin either, which makes is odd that they waited this long to develop the UT market.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:25 AM
Meh

The elevations show it to be 204 feet to the top of the mechanical penthouse above the main roof. There's no figure listed, but I measured it by comparing the penthouse to the floors. The top floor is 190 feet and the main roof is 200 feet. If it were complete today, it would be our 49th tallest.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:43 AM

Austin Towers reported these could be condos. ( stating there was conflicting info.) That and the fact that are considering live/work space..... keeps me "hoping" this will be a new adventrure for said company. I would also be surprised this location would be attactive to UT students.
I know this is just speculation and wisful thinking....

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:20 AM
Meh

Whenever I ride up to UT or West Campus on my bike, I usually take West Avenue on the way there and then Nueces on the way back. I could see it being a favored area for UT students. The bulk of UT's campus, plus West Campus, are both mostly oriented west because of the grid shift at MLK. The only thing is the hills in that part of downtown suck. And there are a lot of homeless that hangout around there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:36 AM

This is double the distance away from campus than any major student oriented development built so far, so I just can't see how the location makes sense. That area of downtown is also on the more quiet side, which isn't typically the "student" scene. UT students, generally, favor closer to campus living if they're going to pick up the tab to live in the core market. Otherwise, they live elsewhere and commute. This just makes no sense from a business perspective w/ their current model.

And then they're adding in live/work space potentially? That, and that is might be condos (which I doubt, but it's info that we kind of have), is incredibly confusing. Their business model has never integrated any component like either of those.

The whole thing has thrown me for a loop.

Edit: Looking over the documents, it struck me: the live/work are condos, and the mid-rise is probably student living apartments. I don't see how they're going to get professionals into those live/work units, but they apparently think they can.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
This is double the distance away from campus than any major student oriented development built so far, so I just can't see how the location makes sense. That area of downtown is also on the more quiet side, which isn't typically the "student" scene. UT students, generally, favor closer to campus living if they're going to pick up the tab to live in the core market. Otherwise, they live elsewhere and commute. This just makes no sense from a business perspective w/ their current model.
Aspen Heights specializes in off-campus housing, not on-campus like American Campus Communities. However they also develop traditional multifamily so this could be either/or, or a combination of both. As quoted on their website: "Aspen Heights has built and leased 15 individual developments, with 5-7 more in process for a 2014 delivery and a full pipeline for future projects both inside and outside the student housing segment [emphasis mine]. With growth in the forecast, AH will continue to build upon existing strategy will hiring and developing new talent to push the bar for innovation and excellence in the multifamily development and management industry."

The land they are building on is owned by Rick Hardin of Hardin Interests, a local developer who was also involved in 7 Rio.

http://www.myaspenheights.com/our-company/history/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Aspen Heights specializes in off-campus housing, not on-campus like American Campus Communities. However they also develop traditional multifamily so this could be either/or, or a combination of both. As quoted on their website: "Aspen Heights has built and leased 15 individual developments, with 5-7 more in process for a 2014 delivery and a full pipeline for future projects both inside and outside the student housing segment [emphasis mine]. With growth in the forecast, AH will continue to build upon existing strategy will hiring and developing new talent to push the bar for innovation and excellence in the multifamily development and management industry."

The land they are building on is owned by Rick Hardin of Hardin Interests, a local developer who was also involved in 7 Rio.

http://www.myaspenheights.com/our-company/history/
I never said they do on-campus housing, but that their off-campus student oriented housing is usually substantially closer to campus (though there are a few exceptions).

Furthermore, all of their branded Aspen Heights locations has been student housing. Every. Single. One. ... regardless of whether they own and operate non-student living locations as well. Given that the tentative name of this development is Aspen Heights, it's a legitimate assumption that this, too, will be student oriented.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:26 PM

Perhaps the key phrase here is "future projects." As in:

and a full pipeline for future projects both inside and outside the student housing segment

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:51 PM

That, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin