HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1919 Market in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Nothing new to report at this site. All the work is around the IBC building. They have poured at least two concrete walls adjacent to the base of the IBC garage. There are also markings all over the pavement around the site that I don't remember seeing before.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 10:30 PM

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...pplication.pdf

Not sure if someone posted this link before from August 2013 ... I didn't see it in the past few pages of posts.
On Pg. 10 here in particular,..when you can really see what it will look like in between IBX and Commerce Sq. is sort of depressing. Oh well.

Question ...so all these buildings now with the different color schemes as the outer skin of the building .... is this a new style? Does it have a name? Merely, a passing fad? Or just an easy way to try to make a relatively boring building - more exciting?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 11:15 PM

colored exterior panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Not sure if someone posted this link before from August 2013 ... I didn't see it in the past few pages of posts.
On Pg. 10 here in particular,..when you can really see what it will look like in between IBX and Commerce Sq. is sort of depressing. Oh well.

Question ...so all these buildings now with the different color schemes as the outer skin of the building .... is this a new style? Does it have a name? Merely, a passing fad? Or just an easy way to try to make a relatively boring building - more exciting?
In the 1950s, mostly in Europe but also in the US, modernism(AKA International Style/European Modernism) used turquoise, yellow and other color panels to create color on the exterior but still in a very minimalist fashion. The Penn Center Inn that stood at 1919 Market st(built in 1963?) used this technique. Google a picture of it and you'll see what I mean. Now whether or not you can draw a direct connection between the two I'm not sure but if you fine a picture of the Penn Center Inn you can decide for your self.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 12:46 AM

where does such a design type come from

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
In the 1950s, mostly in Europe but also in the US, modernism(AKA International Style/European Modernism) used turquoise, yellow and other color panels to create color on the exterior but still in a very minimalist fashion. The Penn Center Inn that stood at 1919 Market st(built in 1963?) used this technique. Google a picture of it and you'll see what I mean. Now whether or not you can draw a direct connection between the two I'm not sure but if you fine a picture of the Penn Center Inn you can decide for your self.
Mondrian

http://search.comcast.net/?cat=image...abstract+art/0

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
Great stuff. Thanks for the insight.
Piet Mondrian - the De Stijl movement, neoplasticism. So geometric, and minimalistic qualities. Love all that stuff.

Makes sense to, certainly early to mid-century styles and designs are still the rage - from fashion to interior and graphic designs. Thus, not surprising these influences are all over lots of new architecture.

Not just residential either (thinking Goldtex) - even the addition to AI DuPont Children's Hosp in Wilmington is rocking the Mondrian-esque panels ...
[IMG]IMG_0997 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

I enjoy the Mondrian, Frank Stella, and Ellsworth Kelly-inspired type works... so fine by me. Thanks again.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 4:07 PM

Update from Lincolndrive. Looks like the support wall for the IBX garage is complete. We may have excavation starting now.

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:34 PM

From 22nd and Hamilton:

So the brown turd - Kennedy House is 305 ft. If 1919 ends up being 367.7 ft like the CR application said, I suppose it would have a slight impact on the skyline from certain viewpoints.
[IMG]021 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
The views from the Dalian will be superb.

Also, 1919 will fill in this hole. And that AVIS lot needs to go.
[IMG]022 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 9:31 PM

Madison Concrete

Came across this on Madison Concrete's site, for anyone interested in how much concrete will be involved. :^)

Cheers,
G.

1919 Market Street Luxury Apartment Tower to Replace Vacant Land

A parcel of land that has sat vacant for decades is now being transformed into a luxury, high-rise apartment tower. Madison Concrete will complete the concrete work for the project. It will providefoundations, slabs and structural concrete frame construction – part filigree and part conventional formed concrete. Approximately 19,000 cubic yards and 370,000 square feet of structural slabs will be used in the tower. Madison will also construct foundations for the precast concrete garage that connects to the tower.

A parcel of land that has sat vacant for decades is now being transformed into a luxury, high-rise apartment tower.

Madison Concrete will complete the concrete work for the project. It will provide foundations, slabs and structural concrete frame construction – part filigree and part conventional formed concrete. Approximately 19,000 cubic yards and 370,000 square feet of structural slabs will be used in the tower. Madison will also construct foundations for the precast concrete garage that connects to the tower.

The 1919 Market Street building, located on the corner of 20th and Market streets in, will be a 28-story, 367-foot tall tower with 278 upscale apartment units right in the middle of Philadelphia’s Center City’s largest and tallest office corridor.

This project is part of the major redevelopment of Philadelphia’s City Center. Madison is also involved in the redevelopment project of the former Lorraine Apartments turned Divine Lorraine Hotel near Center City. Redevelopment plans for that project include 126 loft apartments and ground-floor restaurants.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post

The 1919 Market Street building, located on the corner of 20th and Market streets in, will be a 28-story, 367-foot tall tower with 278 upscale apartment units right in the middle of Philadelphia’s Center City’s largest and tallest office corridor.
Is that a confirmed height then?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Is that a confirmed height then?
Not 100%, I think so though.
The 367.7 ft is from the Civic Review Design application - pg. 7 here:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Talked to construction worker at the site today. Not much activity, just a bulldozer that seemed to be leveling the lot. He said that on Monday, 10/13 drilling will start for foundations. Since there is no below grade parking there isnt going to be any major excavation at the site according to him. We will see if that is true because I thought significant excavation happened for Murano which has above grade parking. Then again, I dont remember much for 2116 chestnut. GC is Hunter Roberts and he said they are great in terms of turning buildings out- as seen at Lancaster Square where he said they are working 7 days a week. He said the concrete wall and patching was necessary because there was never a proper separation built between the two sites and water was getting into lower levels of IBC tower. He said parts of the party wall were just cinder block. He said the 3ft thick wall they poured will serve as a support for part of 1919 market.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:50 PM

Great info ^^^ thanks.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:33 PM

I know most people aren't excited about this project but I'm glad this lot is finally being filled!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:09 PM

^^Yeah, overall ... I do agree. This 1919 ... certainly beats the current view of this lot from Market St - and the fact it will block "that" out of sight -

[IMG]154 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^^Yeah, overall ... I do agree. This 1919 ... certainly beats the current view of this lot from Market St - and the fact it will block "that" out of sight
I think everyone wants more height here, but I still like this building a lot. AND I'm thrilled that one of our most prominent vacant lots is disappearing. Overall I'm really excited for this one to start going up.

It says a lot about how much Phila is crushing it right now that the height of 1919 Market is one of the more constant complaints on this board. I think that's a good problem to have.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:32 AM

Negatives are

The height in a very prime spot. Should be at least 500ft..

Positives
It will add to the market canyon effect.
It will get rid of an empty lot.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-v6 View Post
Negatives are

The height in a very prime spot. Should be at least 500ft..

Positives
It will add to the market canyon effect.
It will get rid of an empty lot.
Not just that, we will get some nice modern corner retail at 20th and market. IBC building has nothing on ground floor and this area is a bit lacking in street level activity. The contractor I spoke to told me Hunter Roberts is also working on renovations in 1900 market which Brandywine now owns. I suppose they are modernizing it to attract top rate tenants.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Not just that, we will get some nice modern corner retail at 20th and market. IBC building has nothing on ground floor and this area is a bit lacking in street level activity. The contractor I spoke to told me Hunter Roberts is also working on renovations in 1900 market which Brandywine now owns. I suppose they are modernizing it to attract top rate tenants.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that retail. 6 years later and we're still waiting for that Murano space to be filled. The Morgan Lewis 17th and Market retail front (albeit not modern) has been available for longer than that. And that has to be one of the most foot trafficked corner M-F In the entire city.

For whatever reason and despite crazy positive market conditions, Market West retail is just not in high demand.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on that retail. 6 years later and we're still waiting for that Murano space to be filled. The Morgan Lewis 17th and Market retail front (albeit not modern) has been available for longer than that. And that has to be one of the most foot trafficked corner M-F In the entire city.

For whatever reason and despite crazy positive market conditions, Market West retail is just not in high demand.
Your theory is wrong because 2040 Market filled pretty quickly with a bank and a MASSIVE Wine & Spirits store.

I'm positive whichever Realtor has the Murano retail spots is just not very active on it, or they're asking way too much for rent.

20th and Market is a much better spot. IBX right next door, Commerce Square towers next door, 2000 Market right next door... and the new 2040 Market residential building. I would imagine this block has more demand for retail. However, I would expect banks, restaurants and possibly bars. I wouldn't expect any clothing stores.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

Morgan Lewis building - has limited retail space, one open spot at the corner - yes, then an AT&T store and Corner Bakery - at 17th and JFK. The rest of the building's ground floor is the firm's lobby, and entrance to the parking garage.

1801 Market - Ten Penn Center - has a Starbucks, Devon Blakely (dc based lunch spot), and a flower shop, a pnc bank (which was robbed Friday) and a AAA, and ScottTrade.

Then the naked family statue ... a little pervy, but ok.

1818 - a Conestoga Bank - which is big ... anyone really bank there? I guess so.

IBX - nothing but a huge and very nice, redone lobby.

Then the empty lot at 1919.

Commerce Sq - has the FedEx on the corner on 20th n Market.

So the 1818-1900 block to 2000 on the north side of Market is definitely bare for FOOD and any interesting retail. If 1919 delivers retail, cool food spot - we're good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive