HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:42 AM

The new plaza at 303 Second looks pretty nice. Click here for photos.

Quote:
The plaza at 303 Second St. has received a $10 million facelift and a new 18,000 pound centerpiece.
Kilroy Realty Corp. this week unveiled its fresh, sunny new plaza at 303 Second St. With live soul music playing in the background office tenants and SoMa residents snacked on strawberry lemonade and gourmet popsicles and got a special visit from Mayor Edwin Lee, who thanked Kilroy for its contribution to public art: a 18,000 pound, 75 feet long by 25 feet high bronze sculpture created by the nationally acclaimed young American artist Jon Krawczyk.....
Source and article: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I came across this at Studios Architecture's website- the 38 story Sailor's Union Residential Tower (across the street from ORH). This is the first I have heard of such a concept and the web site is quite vague. I really like tower, though!

Link: http://www.studios.com/projects/sail...idential_tower
Unfortunately, I think these are really old renderings and plans. You can tell by the height of One Rincon Hill. Cool find though! I hadn't seen this proposal before.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:14 AM

Great set of photos of the almost finished PUC building in Civic Center:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d-arch/7164749079/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:25 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post

Nice improvement! Thanks for sharing 1977.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Great set of photos of the almost finished PUC building in Civic Center:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d-arch/7164749079/
Sorry to clutter up the thread, but WOW/BOMB!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

PUC - the interior is spectacular! What a gem.

New Plaza @ 303 Second - That always has lots of people at lunchtime and I'd say they did a nice job making it look more inviting and cooler (literally). Believe it or not, that plaza is usually quite warm at midday and a little respite from the sun is often welcome.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think these are really old renderings and plans. You can tell by the height of One Rincon Hill.
I noticed that as well. Still, it's an interesting rendering. I like the upper floors, especially the treatment on the First St. face. Not a fan of the podium though. While I like the nod to the existing building along Harrison, overall it looks like a giant block of concrete.

It raises an interesting question in my mind about which way a building in that location should face. In that rendering, it's facing west. But should it look toward the FiDi? Or perhaps toward the south assuming the Potrero/101 viewpoint is the most seen/photographed? Personally, I think this is a location where you wouldn't really want it to appear to face a particular direction because it sits at the southern end of the skyline and will be highly visible from every direction, including east with Bay Bridge traffic.

Anyway, cool find wakamesalad.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 3:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

City Place was only mostly dead. According to the SF Business Times:

Quote:
Cypress, Carlyle pounce on CityPlace
San Francisco Business Times
Date: Friday, June 8, 2012, 7:14am PDT

J.C. Penney is poised to set up shop in the Mid-Market neighborhood as the anchor tenant in a big development that could finally revive the long-depressed block between Fifth and Sixth streets.

Cypress Equities and global asset management firm the Carlyle Group are in contract to purchase the fully-entitled CityPlace project, a stretch of boarded-up buildings on the 900 block of Market Street that has city approvals for 260,000 square feet of retail development. The project, designed by Gensler, would include five floors of retail.
This is fantastic news!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Aaaand in other mid-market news, Avalon Bay will start on 55 Ninth St. in July according to the SF Business Times:

Quote:
AvalonBay plans Mid-Market rentals for Gen Y tenants
San Francisco Business Times by J.K. Dineen, Reporter
Date: Friday, June 8, 2012, 3:00am PDT

AvalonBay has completed its acquisition of 55 Ninth St., and will start construction in July on a $125 million development that will add 273 apartments to the rapidly growing neighborhood.

The project, right across the street from the new Twitter headquarters at 1355 Market St., will be different than AvalonBay’s Mission Bay projects in that it will be an AVA community, a new brand the company started to appeal to the sort of Gen Y renters who populate the offices of Twitter and other growing San Francisco tech companies.
Another long-standing hole in the ground bites the dust. This is becoming surreal.

PS: no worries on cluttering the thread, viewguy, now some other schmuck is doing it.

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jun 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
City Place was only mostly dead. According to the SF Business Times:

This is fantastic news!
Agreed! This will be a huge boon for mid-Market. With this and the other projects (Trinity, Twitter, 10th&Market, etc.) to the west, it looks like a better Market Street is slowly book ending the blight.

Wow, and now 55 Ninth! Thanks pg!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:42 PM

It's about time NY and Chicago had some company on the Construction forum!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 4:53 PM

Wow, the City Place news is fantastic. In 3-4 years Market Street will be hardly recognizable from 5th St west all the way to the Castro...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:

I LOATHE that building more than any other building in Soma. A pure catastrophe if you ask me.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:17 PM

55-Ninth Street, Avalon Bay construction

Thanks for the update peanut gallery. As I have a view of the sand lot from my apartment I'll get the old camera ready! Lots with weeds are becoming extinct in the city!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:30 PM
testify

the 9th street building have been ready to go for months now, just waiting on the investors to pull the trigger. the real questions there are 1) ground floor retail, which in that area i think is such a good idea as to be obvious; and 2) height, it just seems too low in its current incarnation. rise!

as for the cityplace news, i'll believe it what i see a group of people out front cutting the ribbon. i'm super pleased at the evolution of that project - especially the zero disruptions/modifications of the market street pedestrian experience (as opposed to earlier plans for a driveway right off market) - but i wonder that it doesn't make more sense to include some sort of residential component in such a fine location for a mixed-use building. my guess is that this looks very profitable on paper now that there's an anchor tenant and that people are reluctant to dive back into the entitlement waters, but from a pure urbanism perspective, the more non-social assistance folks we can cram into that area, the better the chances of neighborhood-servicing ancillary retail developing along market. ideally, development would serve to transition the hood from no-go zone at night to go zone, and that won't happen if we don't have a base of frontiersmen splitting the tl from the shady south of market.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
the 9th street building have been ready to go for months now, just waiting on the investors to pull the trigger. the real questions there are 1) ground floor retail, which in that area i think is such a good idea as to be obvious; and 2) height, it just seems too low in its current incarnation. rise!

as for the cityplace news, i'll believe it what i see a group of people out front cutting the ribbon. i'm super pleased at the evolution of that project - especially the zero disruptions/modifications of the market street pedestrian experience (as opposed to earlier plans for a driveway right off market) - but i wonder that it doesn't make more sense to include some sort of residential component in such a fine location for a mixed-use building. my guess is that this looks very profitable on paper now that there's an anchor tenant and that people are reluctant to dive back into the entitlement waters, but from a pure urbanism perspective, the more non-social assistance folks we can cram into that area, the better the chances of neighborhood-servicing ancillary retail developing along market. ideally, development would serve to transition the hood from no-go zone at night to go zone, and that won't happen if we don't have a base of frontiersmen splitting the tl from the shady south of market.
Westfield and SF Center are profitable. It's the adjacent neighborhood that will accommodate the new residents. It's not like it's far to walk from Trinity and the Twitter zone

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 5:08 PM
testify

from today's chron article on cityplace:

Groundbreaking will depend on city permits, but "realistically starting construction early next year is a viable target for us," he said. He expects construction to take 24 months as it will involve demolishing buildings and creating underground parking.

"Perhaps in late 2014 we could get the first retailers open, but certainly by the first quarter of 2015," he said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUF11OV9D2.DTL

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 6:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The PUC Building deserves it's own thread in the construction forum. What a great looking building!

And CityPlace looks promising, but it would be cool to see some color injected onto the sides of the escalators in the atrium. With all that light in there, it would really draw the eye into the entrance from the street, and hopefully with it, some shoppers.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 9:14 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The PUC Building deserves it's own thread in the construction forum. What a great looking building!
Here are some photos I took of the PUC building last night.

[IMG]
San Francisco PUC Building by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
San Francisco PUC Building - finishing construction by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 6:42 PM
testify

no point in giving the building its own thread, considering it's 98% completed. but the point remains that they did a good job, can't wait to see the green wall go up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 5:08 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Wow, the City Place news is fantastic. In 3-4 years Market Street will be hardly recognizable from 5th St west all the way to the Castro...
sfgate had a good article on Mid-Market today. interesting to me was this:

Quote:
construction should begin in August on a boutique hotel and youth hostel in the historic Grant Building at 1095 Market St.
(7th and Market)

I'd been eagerly awaiting news on this one (and apparently I am not the only one!). mid-Market has a bunch of buildings with character, and this is one of them. at least as much as for new development, I am rooting for these older buildings to be spiffy'd up and/or brought back to life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations