HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

what, he suggested take a look at this parking lot...it would be better as a building? Genius.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:05 PM

I think downtown parking is important to an extent, that said as long as there are multiple ways to get around at the end of the day it is the last thing "London" needs to be thinking about.

At this point getting more people living downtown is and should be the most critical, those people then eat, shop, etc downtown and so on.

That's my opinion anyways.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:19 PM

It's a good proposed development. That corner has been vacant for far too long. I don't think parking should be an issue, from what I understand the foundation, lower levels and underground parking from the former Mews are still intact. They had been paved over for the parking lot, but kept to potentially be resurrected for a new development like this!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:30 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
It's a good proposed development. That corner has been vacant for far too long. I don't think parking should be an issue, from what I understand the foundation, lower levels and underground parking from the former Mews are still intact. They had been paved over for the parking lot, but kept to potentially be resurrected for a new development like this!
That would be awesome!

LFP story (ignore the comments section) http://www.lfpress.com/2014/10/06/ne...le-to-the-core

CTV London report with old London Mews footage: http://london.ctvnews.ca/video#461127
-Video may not work if you have adblock enabled.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:04 AM

Of course this is great news and a great location as there is a void in this area of downtown. This will fill in a big void.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but I wouldn't expect all the developments to actually be built. I remember in the late 80's when there was a lot of proposals, and not all got built. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:20 PM
User Registered

People be angry at the proposed Health Unit redevelopment.

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/10/08/co...hits-roadblock

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
People be angry at the proposed Health Unit redevelopment.

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/10/08/co...hits-roadblock
Plain and simple: this is a "kick the can down the road 'till after the election" maneuver by a group of ignorant cowards. Yet another stunning lack of municipal stewardship and leadership.

If things go well, they will be out of office when this returns to a committee comprised of new members in the new year.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 12:17 AM

The arguments that the local yokel NIMBYs against this development gave were a complete joke. one person said "Another speaker warned the shadow cast by the tower could drive away the families who now come to the Forks on Sunday nights." Gee last time I checked the sun sets in the west, and the development is east of the fork of the Thames, so it's physically impossible for it to cast a shadow. Secondly there are no shadows cast at night Just a bunch of entitled people who believe their view was somehow "protected".

The other thing that was off was Old Dirty Bastard, Mr. development, Bud Polhill himself, came out against the proposal. "We need to look at this,” said Coun. Bud Polhill, committee chairperson. "I don’t like it at all.". Now while bud is certainly an expert in vehicle body damage repair, didn't know he was moonlighting as an architect. While hopefully this is some election pandering that will disappear post election, why would Bud care? He doesn't represent downtown, no votes lost support this development. So leads me to believe Middlesex Country hasn;t wowed Bud or he;s got a secret dog in the fight.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, really. The bullshit spewed by Polhill and the shadows-of-evening people are just stacked higher than I ever thought possible.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:23 AM

Methinks there are a lot of developers unhappy with this proposal, which has the best location, will be built to a higher standard and have a better view. This is business, and prime real estate is sparse so other developers will want to stop it if they can.

It's kind of funny that every city councillor and administrative person has been begging for developments like this and now they want to discourage this project. If it is stopped due to views being blocked, watch out for all the nimbys to come out of the woodwork.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 7:12 AM

I really like the new development proposal for the old Mews lands.

It is a huge blight on the core and acts as a disconnect between Wellington and Richmond. I like the fact that they it is a large project with street facing stores as opposed to just another high rise. This is a real win for the city now let's all pray to the maker that it's not another concrete bunker.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:36 AM
bro

Smile

I'm dying to see the Mews lot developed, but I'm sad to hear talk of a building fronting Dundas. Was always hoping the linear park idea would catch on, and we could keep that as a mid-block connection. I walk through parking lots and alleys daily, sometimes as shortcuts and other times as a change of scenery. I'm really hoping a public corridor is considered by the developers.

Fairly certain a fire lane exists to the immediate west of the this property, so I guess there will always be an alley connection.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 6:36 PM

Not 100% sure what is happening yet, but they are clearing land at the corner of Wharncliffe/Wonderland talking about the North/west corner which was if I recall York Developments owned and was to have a Lowes/other.

It is right across from where I work, they have 2 dozers pushing material.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yikes, more sprawl. And Wonderland and Exeter is supposed to get a giant Walfart.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yikes, more sprawl. And Wonderland and Exeter is supposed to get a giant Walfart.
Beat me to it.

I, for one, am going to try and be happy about all of that useless productive farmland being paved over to be replaced with car-centric, low-tax-revenue-generating, core-hollowing retail.

I usually run the gauntlet that is Wonderland South when I drive into London. My wife is going to be thrilled that there will soon be even more mind-numbingly terrible big box crap there for me to bitch about when we visit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 9:13 PM

I cant even begin to imagine what will go in this new development...ok the Lowe's sure but what else could possibly go in this end of the city that is not already here...Golf Town maybe.

Such a poor concept, not that London is the only place doing it but not a fan personally.

By the way more clearing went on today, extending towards Wharncliffe so seems like construction is moving forward it was not just a small test spot.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 10:25 PM

There's lots of developments coming to south London, that really have questions about who exactly will be tenants in there areas. Southwest area and developments along Wonderland Rd. S are, especially with Wal-Mart.

The current smart centre near Wonderland & Southdale has already has lots of stores. As well the PenCore development @ 401 & Wellington has the green light, and has a billboard near Costco soliciting potential tenants. It's not even hollowing out the core anymore, but taking existing business in the suburbs further out to the periphery.

London has dropped the ball on potential developments, Sysco and Toyota that would've been better along 400 series corridor, and are scrapping the bottom of the retail barrel to have something to show!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

More retail in one of the most over-retailed cities, and one with very slow population growth, and like everywhere else, one that is facing mounting retailing dollars shifting to online. Result: A lot more cellphone bling stores in White Oaks mall. Which makes it less of a destination. Which makes more stores pull out once their lease is up. Which makes it less of a destination. Which makes management open up clinics and bric-a-brac junk stores just to keep the lights on. Which makes it less of a destination, particularly for upper-middle class shoppers that underpin the sales for most of the fashion stores in the mall. Which makes more stores pull out once their lease is up.

This, and plus a whole lot more banal retail sprawl. Lose-Lose situation.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

White Oaks (Overfuckingkill on the cellphone joints). Just look at the list:

Stellar Store Directory: Technology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bell

Bell
Phone: 519.649.1855
Nearest Parking: South Entrance

Black's

Black's
Phone: 519.686.1401
Nearest Parking: Bradley Ave. Entrance

Cellrox

Cellrox
Phone: 519.680.7000
Nearest Parking: Wellington Road Entrance

Cellular X

Cellular X
Phone: 519.318.4147

EB Games

EB Games
Phone: 519.668.6552

Fido

Fido
Phone: 519.686.0332
Nearest Parking: Jalna North Entrance

Koodo Mobile

Koodo Mobile
Phone: 519.681.2989

Outpost2

Outpost2
Phone: 519.963.3182

Rogers

Rogers
Phone: 519.691.0494

T-Booth Wireless

T-Booth Wireless
Phone: 519.686.2952

Telus

Telus
Phone: 519.668.7342
Nearest Parking: Wellington Road Entrance

The Source

The Source
Phone: 519.681.5914

Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile
Phone: 519.668.5115
Nearest Parking: Jalna South Entrance

WIND Mobile

WIND Mobile
Phone: 519.914.5127

WIRELESSWAVE

WIRELESSWAVE
Phone: 519.681.9283

WOW! mobile boutique

WOW! mobile boutique
Phone: 519.681.1788
Nearest Parking: Jalna South Entrance

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
I cant even begin to imagine what will go in this new development...ok the Lowe's sure but what else could possibly go in this end of the city that is not already here...Golf Town maybe.
My guesses: Little Caesars Pizza; Sleep Country; Target; Scotiabank; Food Basics; Global Pet Foods; Subway; Home Hardware. What I mean, retailers that already exist just a bit further north (closer to where people live and slightly more accessible to people, instead of just cars). That retail now has the ability to pull out of their older spots and have someone build new to suit them rather than going through the hassles and costs of renovations.

MolsonExport is right: the result will be that we are saddled with yet more under-used retail spots in our existing malls and vacancies throughout the more built-up areas in the city, and inaccessible, inefficient and distasteful new big box sprawl on the periphery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates