HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 5:57 AM
None...

It looks like its overall effect will be more apparent on a larger, real life scale as opposed to small renderings.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 6:59 AM
devout Pizzatarian

after reading kamin's artcile, i can't believe how much i am on the same page as him with this one.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 5:48 PM
"The World is my Oyster"

^ I think, we all are on the same page with this tower!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 5:57 PM

I definitely like the tower more now that I've learned more about the materials. Rework the base to let the tower really work on Columbus and this will be a 10/10.

But while reading this I thought it was one of Kamin's worst yet (and I think he's the best in the US). I guess by definition critics sound bad when they love something...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 6:30 PM
The City

Thanks for the article, Spyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Excellent contribution, Skyguy. But, when reading the article, it appears a paragraph or two has been accidentally omitted.
^ Yeah, and the part omitted is where Kamin appears to be criticizing Loewenberg. Too bad we missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 9:03 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

This building makes me nervous.... it could end up looking gorgeous, or it could end up looking like some sunken, malnourished, and starved skyscraper. The wavy part of the building casts shadows on its own skin... this could end up making the building look anemic and deflated. However, if lots of nice clear (I assume slightly blue/green tinted?) glass and bright colors are used those shadows would be minimized, and at nighttime the light emanating from the building will take care of that effect entirely. I'm crossing my fingers with this one, it could go either way.

I will say, if they can minimize the shadows… this building might end up being a world trend setter, something never before seen on such a tall building, not even in London, Paris, Tokyo, or NYC.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 9:09 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...l=chi-news-hed

... Wait, double post. I thought that article sounded familiar.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

I just spoke with Jeanne Gang. Hopefully I'll be able to get renderings and height information within the next week or so. Now remember that certain information isn't concrete yet and could change.

She was surprised and pleased when I told her about all the positive buzz that was happening online.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 11:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
THAT Guy

Actually, that kings guy on SSC who originally posted everything was the one who also posted that image. Archidose probably just lifted it...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 1:21 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel 33
^ I think, we all are on the same page with this tower!
well, go back and read through this thread again because many people have been dissing this project pretty harshly, some even declaring themselves "haters".

and my comment about me being on the same page as Kamin also had to do with how he and i saw some of the same exact things in this proposal: it's goldberg ancestry, it's IBM-marina city love-child qualities, the fact that this tower, if executed properly, might be one of the greatest works of skyscraper architecture our city has produced in decades.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 1:44 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
yeah, I was thinking about this project sharing a lot of elements of certain contermporary Australian architects, of which I forgot their names. Jeanne talked so much about this project being as revolutionary as possible for a high-rise so I've held off on lumping her with them (although the similarities are obvious). I suppose if her inspiration was someone like Seidler, her innovation comes from breaking the sometimes stringent geometric forms of his work into something a bit more fluid and asymetrical (to be fair to Seidler, his designs sometimes were really fluid even with thick, heavy use of white concrete). I suppose so much of this buildings success (or failure) lies in the texture and light patterns the balconies produce.

I still see nothing spectacular about this project although it could be a very important project in terms of breaking with conventional residential high-rise design in the U.S. or Chicago in general. These types of projects can set the ball moving in radical and unique directions for many future projects. Also of note is that this is Studio Gang's first go at a highrise and considering the scale of it, it's pretty amazing that they've been able to do a fine job with it.

speaking of great australian residential designers/architects, there's a ton of them in the latest 10 x 10 (10 • 10_2 100 architects 10 critics) by Phaidon. Would recommend it to any contemporary architecture lover.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 3:21 AM

Definitely think the tower/base integration needs some work - they each look good but they're just too disconnected. This is only an "LSE tower" in name, it's really an Upper Columbus tower and the base should speak to that level. As it is, the base doesn't seem in context with any of it's surroundings.

The tower is great... Aqua's form factor is almost a dead copy of Trump World Tower. No complaints from me.

I'm actually happy that Kamin likes the tower (I do too), but apparently when BK has a sticky keyboard he writes junior pieces.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 4:54 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Re-oriented Aqua.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 5:16 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Once again, a great model STR.

On a slightly different topic, the model's angle reminded me that there are no real stand-out fantastic towers on the waterfront between Lake Point Tower and Mies' LSD buildings. Considering the location and distance between them that is astonishing. I'm guessing this is due to NU's campus and the large warehouse-like sized structures, like the old Furniture Mart.

Last edited by Wild Onion Mike; Mar 13, 2006 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 5:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Well, there aren't any good development sites along that part of the lake, except for the plot 2 blocks north of 600N. I don't see it as a huge loss though. I want some good dev sites to be left over for the next boom.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 5:51 AM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Onion Mike
Once again, a great model STR.

On a slightly different topic, the model's angle reminded me that there are no real stand-out fantastic towers on the waterfront between Lake Point Tower and Mies' LSD buildings. Considering the location and distance between them that is astonishing. I'm guessing this is due to NU's campus and the large warehouse-like sized structures, like the old Furniture Mart.
680 North LSD (the old Furniture Mart is a stand-out tower.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 6:24 AM
Vertigo City

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Re-oriented Aqua.

^ holy crap, thats an awesome angle of downtown!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 2:04 PM
Content provider

^I agree, but can you lighten it up just a touch? Hard to see parts for some reason. Thanks

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 6:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I just spoke with Jeanne Gang. Hopefully I'll be able to get renderings and height information within the next week or so. Now remember that certain information isn't concrete yet and could change.

She was surprised and pleased when I told her about all the positive buzz that was happening online.

i somehow missed this post reading through the thread last night. i know that all info is subject to change at this preliminary stage, but if you could obtain a high-res rendering of this one, you'd win a billion SSP bonus points and at least 6 or 7 popcorn carts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive