HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 2:11 AM

Any news on this project?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
Any news on this project?
I sure hope so. My balcony wall is completely broken away from the superstructure and is bolted back in place.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 3:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What is the status of the approval of the new buildings? I also wonder what the timeline for the improvements is.

A while ago Joe Metledge posted on this forum I think but I haven't seen any posts for while.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 4:20 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What is the status of the approval of the new buildings? I also wonder what the timeline for the improvements is.

A while ago Joe Metledge posted on this forum I think but I haven't seen any posts for while.
From what I thought, they were still working on fenwick before the total overhaul?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
From what I thought, they were still working on fenwick before the total overhaul?
They're working from the top to the bottom renovating 3 or 4 floors at a time, correct?

I was walking home late a month ago and I noticed about 3-4 empty floors (i.e. not 1 light on each floor)... They were probably around floor 26-27 or so. They're probably just going to continue to gut/renovate the floors and re-evaluate the outside of the building after they finish.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 1:12 PM

Last I heard they are scheduled to go to council next month some time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 4:27 PM

The next installment from Haligonia.ca is up.

http://live.haligonia.ca/halifax-ns/...roperties.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 5:08 PM
Fizzix geek

WOW I don't think I ever noticed in the plans before that they are planning on making the top floor of Fenwick a restaurant. I think that is an amazing idea, and will really give people a feel for the sort of cities views you can get from a structure like that. Goes a long way towards making an "eyesore" into something the public can connect with.

I also thought he gave a great answer to "What would you change", although I laughed out loud at the look on his face at 1st when he was clearly struggling in his mind with how to give his answer without giving HT-type folks ammunition to go at him with. It was a solid excellent answer while still being "political" :-)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I also thought he gave a great answer to "What would you change", although I laughed out loud at the look on his face at 1st when he was clearly struggling in his mind with how to give his answer without giving HT-type folks ammunition to go at him with. It was a solid excellent answer while still being "political" :-)
Agreed, he pretty much summed up my impression of Halifax at large perfectly.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 1:09 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
WOW I don't think I ever noticed in the plans before that they are planning on making the top floor of Fenwick a restaurant. I think that is an amazing idea, and will really give people a feel for the sort of cities views you can get from a structure like that. Goes a long way towards making an "eyesore" into something the public can connect with.

Finally a restaurant with a view in Halifax and what a location! Anyone been to Altitude 747 in Montreal?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:23 AM

I haven't been to 747 but I have been to the restaurant at the top of the Oriental Pearl TV tower. The view was amazing, it will be nice to have something like that in Halifax if this goes through, would allow for a whole new experience in Halifax while dining.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 2:49 AM
Honored Member

Are there new renderings for Fenwick Place?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 4:31 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Finally a restaurant with a view in Halifax and what a location! Anyone been to Altitude 747 in Montreal?
I love 747... this is the kind of news I have been waiting for!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 5:43 PM

The View from the 747 is amazing I could not stop looking out the windows. Looking at Fenwick right now and damn its goin to give a nice view on downtown and the harbour as well

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 8:17 PM
Closed account

The Panorama Lounge in the Manulife Centre in Toronto has some pretty amazing views as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 7:41 PM

This is going before PCC next Monday (the 13th) for recommendation before going to regional council for the MPS/LUB ammendments. There is a link to the staff report below but be warned it is a 111 page document. Phases for the development are listed on page 4;

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/pcc/d...wickReport.pdf

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

^See page 40 of that report for the usual Bev Miller gong show. Too dense, too close to the sidewalk, it will generate too much traffic, and what about parking?

As they've mentioned before, only about 10% of people even own cars in that building so her assumptions about parking and traffic are totally wrong. Since they are adding almost as many parking spaces as units they will effectively be adding rental spaces for others in the area.

Whoever transcribed the minutes also mixed up persons per unit and persons per acre (or both the architect and Miller were confused). Fenwick is not 2.25 people per acre...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 11:05 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This is going before PCC next Monday (the 13th) for recommendation before going to regional council for the MPS/LUB ammendments. There is a link to the staff report below but be warned it is a 111 page document. Phases for the development are listed on page 4;

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/pcc/d...wickReport.pdf
Thanks for the information. It is good to see that the re-cladding and Fenwick extension will be included in one of the early phases (phase 2).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 2:28 AM

So the 24 floor building is not proposed yet in this application?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 3:16 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
So the 24 floor building is not proposed yet in this application?
There is one 8 storey building and one 10 storey building to be constructed. In addition, there will be an extension to present Fenwick Tower that will reach the full height of the main tower roof (33 storeys). However, there isn't a separate 24 storey tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth