HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:19 PM

CIC Student Residence | 62 & 56 m | 18 & 16 fl | Approved

925 Main Street West by Urban Solutions, on Twitter

Present vs. Future comparisons:

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

The project is mentioned in this article:
Quote:
thespec.com: Moratorium on development approved along LRT route

By Matthew Van Dongen | October 28, 2015

The city will temporarily ban new development and demolition along parts of the proposed LRT route while planners map out more transit-friendly zoning rules.

The one-year moratorium would pause development along most of the Main-King light rail route — but excluding the downtown — as well as a stretch of the James Street spur.

The interim control bylaw was passed despite the objections of some councillors leery about the lack of public notification.

"We're basically freezing development along one of the main city thoroughfares without advising many property owners that we're even going through the process," said Coun. Chad Collins, who originally opposed the $1-billion light rail project partly based on how it would affect King Street businesses.

Judi Partridge and Brenda Johnson also opposed the moratorium.

A majority of councillors spoke strongly in favour of the move, however, citing the ultimate goal of kick-starting new economic and residential development along the light rail route.

"Do we really want a (fast-food) drive-thru setting up on the site of what could be an eight-storey mixed-use development?" asked Coun. Jason Farr.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger also urged support for the bylaw and added he hoped opposition was not meant to "put a spoke in the wheel" of LRT planning.

The "development pause" is needed to give planners time to update zoning along the route to reflect "transit supportive" building, said planning director Steve Robichaud.

For example, the city wants to dissuade new parking lots, gas stations and drive-thrus along the east-west LRT route as well as the James Street spur.

Robichaud said any projects already underway are exempt from the interim control bylaw and it won't stop property owners from making minor upgrades or applying to change the use of buildings.

The moratorium isn't needed through the downtown, he said, because area zoning already supports transit-friendly development.

Council did approve two exemptions to the bylaw, however, after appeals from developers of a seniors' home expansion in the east city and a possible project near Columbia International College.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 1:25 PM

Thanks for putting together those views. Anything here would be welcome, and mixed-use would (as always) be great.

This is a terrible intersection. That small vacant lot on the northwest corner seems to have changed hands every year for the last four or five, and is almost perpetually 'for sale.' The former Popeye's location just west of here is still vacant if I correctly recall. The Acura dealership has since it's closed been used illegally by MIP employees avoiding their pay parking. The sidewalk in front of the strip mall is constantly clogged with Columbia students waiting for the bus, because the City is years past schedule on improving that bus stop with money that Metrolinx gave it for "quick" wins.

This should be a great intersection, and maybe this project if it gets off the ground will lead that way. I wonder if we can get rid of that asinine 'no crossing' rule on the west leg of the intersection ahead of this.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Thanks for putting together those views. Anything here would be welcome, and mixed-use would (as always) be great.

This is a terrible intersection. That small vacant lot on the northwest corner seems to have changed hands every year for the last four or five, and is almost perpetually 'for sale.' The former Popeye's location just west of here is still vacant if I correctly recall. The Acura dealership has since it's closed been used illegally by MIP employees avoiding their pay parking. The sidewalk in front of the strip mall is constantly clogged with Columbia students waiting for the bus, because the City is years past schedule on improving that bus stop with money that Metrolinx gave it for "quick" wins.

This should be a great intersection, and maybe this project if it gets off the ground will lead that way. I wonder if we can get rid of that asinine 'no crossing' rule on the west leg of the intersection ahead of this.
That north west lot was jut sold and there's now a sign on it mentioning a remax office is to be built there.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 4:00 PM

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

Website: urbanshare.info - The Student Residence of Columbia International College

This thread needs a name update from 925 Main Street West | ? | 15 & 14 fl | Proposed to CIC Student Residence | ? | 15 & 15 fl | Proposed

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 4:27 PM

Sweet Mother of God, build it now! #YasKween

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 4:37 PM

There's supposed to be a moratorium on developments during construction of LRT. I wonder how this will be effected.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
There's supposed to be a moratorium on developments during construction of LRT. I wonder how this will be effected.
This development is one of two that are exempt from the moratorium. Also, the moratorium only lasts until the end of this year, not during construction...

Quote:
thespec.com: Moratorium on development approved along LRT route

By Matthew Van Dongen | October 28, 2015

The city will temporarily ban new development and demolition along parts of the proposed LRT route while planners map out more transit-friendly zoning rules.

The one-year moratorium would pause development along most of the Main-King light rail route — but excluding the downtown — as well as a stretch of the James Street spur.

The interim control bylaw was passed despite the objections of some councillors leery about the lack of public notification.

"We're basically freezing development along one of the main city thoroughfares without advising many property owners that we're even going through the process," said Coun. Chad Collins, who originally opposed the $1-billion light rail project partly based on how it would affect King Street businesses.

Judi Partridge and Brenda Johnson also opposed the moratorium.

A majority of councillors spoke strongly in favour of the move, however, citing the ultimate goal of kick-starting new economic and residential development along the light rail route.

"Do we really want a (fast-food) drive-thru setting up on the site of what could be an eight-storey mixed-use development?" asked Coun. Jason Farr.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger also urged support for the bylaw and added he hoped opposition was not meant to "put a spoke in the wheel" of LRT planning.

The "development pause" is needed to give planners time to update zoning along the route to reflect "transit supportive" building, said planning director Steve Robichaud.

For example, the city wants to dissuade new parking lots, gas stations and drive-thrus along the east-west LRT route as well as the James Street spur.

Robichaud said any projects already underway are exempt from the interim control bylaw and it won't stop property owners from making minor upgrades or applying to change the use of buildings.

The moratorium isn't needed through the downtown, he said, because area zoning already supports transit-friendly development.

Council did approve two exemptions to the bylaw, however, after appeals from developers of a seniors' home expansion in the east city and a possible project near Columbia International College.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 6:28 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It seems like the exact sort of thing you'd want along the LRT, so I can see why they're letting it by.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 6:29 PM
Hammer'd

This I like.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:32 PM

So title should be changed to two 15 story buildings?

How steep is the slope behind the site?

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 5:33 AM
Ham-burgher

Nice. Very nice.

Will be quite the change from the days I was schooling at Mac and would leave my Prelude for servicing at the Sterling Honda that stood there for a long time.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 7:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm out of the country at the moment. I'll change the title once I'm back.

This is a massive project for that corner. Hope it works out.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:18 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 11:43 PM

This project will presumably repatriate CIC's Linden Hall and Pine Hall residences.

The sale of those properties would go a long way to making this possible. Maybe 55 Catharine will become a hotel once more.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

I saw a public notice sign on the property, so they are moving pretty quick for approvals from the City.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:37 AM

My guess is they want this thing done or at least substantially completed before the LRT even breaks ground, let alone on this stretch of the route.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:31 PM
Concerned Citizen

It looks like they got HCA approval to add some fill to the site.

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/communi...ilton-car-lot/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
It looks like they got HCA approval to add some fill to the site.

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/communi...ilton-car-lot/

Great news!! Gotta love the conservation folks. lol...a freaking man-made slope created to build a FREEWAY isn't really the kind of land they should working to preserve. No wonder people don't take them seriously.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 1:17 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Who is this "staff's opinion"? Would that be Thorne? I would say more but I will get banned. YMFDB #itsthesmallthings. No wrong. #itstheBIGthings.. And Bravo to Sergio Manchia.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Who is this "staff's opinion"? Would that be Thorne? I would say more but I will get banned. YMFDB #itsthesmallthings. No wrong. #itstheBIGthings.. And Bravo to Sergio Manchia.

Its the conservation authority staff I think, not city hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton